Air bag system removal

Hello, when removing the entire airbag system what needs to be done or jumped for the ecu? to still operate, I assume the NSX is like some cars in that without a signal from air bag system the car will not start?

I believe the airbag harness meets the chassis harness on in the area of the center console? Thanks for your help, Bryan.

No. There will be just the SRS light on.

I do not know for the passenger side airbag as there was none on my '92. There are 2 sensors that are placed in the cockpit just behind the front wheels. The SRS control unit is on the floor under the center console. All the wires are in a yellow sheath (steering wheel <-> control unit <-> 2 sensors) hence easy to identify and remove.

Personally, I've never heard of a vehicle not starting just because all or part of the airbag system is missing.
I've sold plenty of parts to customers that had airbag deployment. The vehicle would still have to be moved around the shop for various tasks so that would mean that it was started.
Like the 2nd poster stated, not having the system completely installed and working properly will trigger an SRS light.
I've actually heard of shady body shops that would go into dash and remove the bulb from the SRS light if they couldn't figure out how to get the light off. They have even gotten paid for the parts and never install them but rather put news paper in the steering wheel to simulate somthing being in there and put black tape over the light so the customer wouldn't see that it was still on.
Talk about a liability risk?!?!?!?!?:eek::eek:

That's why people should check to see that the SRS light comes on and then goes off when you turn the ignition to the ON position. That will at least rule out them takiing out the light bulb or covering it up. This also goes for Check engine lights and ABS lights.

That one of the first things I look at when buying a car. I make sure that the lights turn on initially and then turn off.

But they could still bypass the SRS system to think it is functioning. They simply need to connect the two out side terminals on the 3 connector plug on the steering wheel.

Thanks for the info. I have had a problem in the past with systems removed , the airbag controller was linked to the ecu/ fuel pump circuit. If the Air Bag computer was removed there was a no start condition that was just a matter of jumping 2 terminals. Bryan.

i also removed both airbags and shorted the pins on both connectors to fool the SRS ecu.

When i set the key to on, the SRS light will light up and after a few seconds it will light out.

I also want to remove the SRS ecu, both sensors and all the SRS harness from the car, and also i'm concearned that it will cause some problems...

Nuno

Hello, when removing the entire airbag system what needs to be done or jumped for the ecu? to still operate, I assume the NSX is like some cars in that without a signal from air bag system the car will not start?

I believe the airbag harness meets the chassis harness on in the area of the center console? Thanks for your help, Bryan.

Please tell me this is for a "track only" car. If you crash while driving on the street and you and or someone gets hurt or god forbid, you meet your maker, then the lawsuits and lawyers may be used by the surviving family members. Car had the airbags removed and they would have survived if they were intact...............the first words.

Please tell me this is for a "track only" car. If you crash while driving on the street and you and or someone gets hurt or god forbid, you meet your maker, then the lawsuits and lawyers may be used by the surviving family members. Car had the airbags removed and they would have survived if they were intact...............the first words.

My thoughts, your words.

Back