Aftermarket Seats? Recaro, Sparco or Cobra for more headroom?

Hi gang,
I didn't want to hyjack the other Aftermarket Seat thread. I did a quick search and didn't find specificaly what I was looking for, so I thought I would post the question in a new thread:

I am 6'-4" tall (now closer to 6'-3" from being in the NSX) :) I can clearly do the factory seat modification to get a little more headroom in my NSX-T, but I was hoping for a better solution. What I would like to know is if there is a good WIDE and LOW aftermarket seat out there that I can install that will LOWER my seat height so that I can pick up a few vital inches. It is uncomfortable at best and potentially dangerous. I don't care. I will continue with stock if I have to, but I would love to disucss the as measured increase in height from your butt to the headliner in the T. Keep in mind that I am 238 pounds, so don't go suggesting those thin flimsy seats that I can't shoe horm myself into if I wanted to. I guess I could lose 50 more pounds and increase my options. :) At least that is better than having 3 vertebre removed. ;)

You would also be saving some $$ (although with your fleet of cars, $$$ doesn't seem to be much of a problem) as most aftermarket seats are cheaper than the price you could re-sell your stock seats for!

I'm 6'3 165 (i know, im a lightweight) and i have no problem whatsoever with headroom in my X (we call them X's not T's ;) ) anyways, i can't really answer your question, but only give my opinion in that the X has sufficient headroom

Good luck with whatever you chose! post pics if you go with an aftermarket seat!!

Brian2by2 said:
...Good luck with whatever you chose! post pics if you go with an aftermarket seat!!

I could post some pics of mine tonight if someone could help me figure out what to do about the seat belts and the wiring harness under the seats.....anyone? :(

Brian2by2 said:
with headroom in my X (we call them X's not T's
1. Most of us don't call them Xs.

2. The T (or, more properly, the -T ) is more descriptive, since G-Man was referring specifically to the NSX-T. (While I realize that ncdogdoc recently posted that there is no headroom difference between the NSX Coupe and the NSX-T, I suspect that the shape and configuration of the headliner might create some sort of difference.)

THe stock seat already sits on the floor of the car, so no aftermarket seat will actually get you lower. The only "lowering" will be the thickness of the cushion. The stock seats with a different cushion is probably the best choice for combo duty. If you plan to track a lot, then an aftermarket seat may be better, but I think you would be giving up a lot on the street.

Plus, many aftermarket seat rails do not plant the seat on the floor of the car, as the stock setup does. A Sparco fixed mount will allow that, but you cannot change your position relative to the wheel, door, seatback recline, etc.

nsxtasy said:
1. Most of us don't call them Xs.

I beg to differ. A lovely poll none-the-less. Finally my chance to prove Ken wrong.

Anywho, good point about the seat being already on the ground, but I think that most aftermarket seats tend to have smaller cusions anyways.

Got a link to place with smaller cushions??

I am 6’ 190 and I’ve sat on many aftermarket seats before I made my decision on the Cobra Sportline GT (GT stands for wide) with Dali rail. I’ve gone to Super Autobac and some of the NSXers to try out their seats. Most of the medium size seats are on the tight side and they are too narrow for my shoulder. The Cobra is a compromise between track and daily driving. I manage to gain close to 2 inches of headroom by mounting the seat at the lowest possible setting (the seat bottom is half an inch from the carpet) and the Cobra seat cushion is thinner than stock. It also depends on the recline angle too. One draw back is that the Dali is a fixed mount and the seat is not readily adjustable. It was a painful process of removing, adjusting and re-installing the seat. I have so much practice that I can get it done in less than 15 minutes. It took me 2 weeks of fine-tuning to get to the optimum seating position.

If you choose the aftermarket route, pick the most comfortable seat and use fixed mount to maximize the headroom.

I am 6'4. The standard seats do not allow me to use a helmet while on track. I made my own seat mounts which allow the Sparco EVOs I have to reach the floor. What I find is that I still have to slouch down a bit to get headroom with helmet on. Another point not mentioned is that if you recline a bucket seat your legs get raised up, and so now my knees are quite high up and tight against the steering wheel. If i move the seat back further I can't reach the steering wheel. OEM seats without the cushion was probably the best for headroom alone, but the racing seats give more side support. Plus they are lighter.

Gordon,
I have a set of Sparco Milanos on bottom-mount Taitec sliders and my headroom was reduced. I think you may want to make sure that the seats you get are side mount for the most room

I have never called my car an "X". Bring on the Poll.

ChopsJazz said:
Gordon,
I have a set of Sparco Milanos on bottom-mount Taitec sliders and my headroom was reduced. I think you may want to make sure that the seats you get are side mount for the most room

I have never called my car an "X". Bring on the Poll.

I definately don't want to end up with LESS headroom. That would be bad, since I am already a candidate for a wheelchair in the event of a serious accident.

As far as calling the car an "X", "I would not could not..."

I have heard a few refer to them as X's but always thought it sounded rediculous

More Headroom Required

So G-man,

Did you finally decide what to do about getting more headroom. I'm in the same situation and in need of solutions to get more headroom.

Please post photos if you got aftermarket seats with special mounting brackets and let me know what they are.

Thanks

James Lee

G-man said:
I definately don't want to end up with LESS headroom. That would be bad, since I am already a candidate for a wheelchair in the event of a serious accident.

As far as calling the car an "X", "I would not could not..."

Hi G-Man,
The only way I can see you possibly gaining some headroom is buying a side-mounting aftermarket seat with a reduced seat cushion. The only draw back on going this route is it will be less comfortable.

I went the way of the Sparco Torino 2 with taitec bottom mounts. I lost headroom and visibility out of the rear window. I am only 6' tall and about 150lbs, so I fit nicely.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
-Mike

Back