After market warranty

Just bought a 2000 w 22k. Great condition. I am considering a warranty for
$3300 for 48 months. Any one have any thoughts on the likihood of repairs exceeding the cost of the warranty based on your experiences with a similar car and mileage. I read previous post on aftermarket warranties. I found a good one, but the cost is an issue. Thanks.

volman said:
Just bought a 2000 w 22k. Great condition. I am considering a warranty for
$3300 for 48 months. Any one have any thoughts on the likihood of repairs exceeding the cost of the warranty based on your experiences with a similar car and mileage. I read previous post on aftermarket warranties. I found a good one, but the cost is an issue. Thanks.

Not too many things can go wrong that would cost that kind of money to repair. A/C would be able the only thing I can think of. (baring major engine failures - which are not so likely with a 2000 and 22K on it.) Most of the major items are wear and tear ie Clutch, Brakes etc.

Also, do you plan on modding the car?

Last edited:
As Clint Eastwood said,"Do you feel lucky"? I purchased an extended Acura warranty on my 2000 NSX with 17K miles when I bought it two years ago. The car is presently at the dealer having an evaporator etc. installed. I am also having a new strut installed on the pass. side rear. The cost of these repairs are well over the price of the warranty contract. Acura also let me borrow a loaner TSX. Be careful with a warranty not sold or honored by Acura. The warranty company's idea of what is covered may not be the same as what Acura covers. Jerry

I wouldn't. I've owned my NSX for 16 years and have driven 64K miles, including over 11K actual track miles, and the warranty only covered the first three years. During the rest of that time, I don't think I've spent anywhere near $3300 on repairs that would have been covered by a warranty. Not even half that much. (I've spent plenty on scheduled maintenance and on "wear items" like tires and brake pads, but no warranty covers those.)

I'd say no. Especially on any Honda and generally any extended warranty on anything. The warranty companies make money and stay in business by paying out less than they take in. Take the money you would pay for the warranty put in bank/or invest and you'll come out way ahead more than likely.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/extended_warranty.html

Back