AEM Tune Request

Just got my stuff from SoS, great people to work with. Anyways, Running the original whipple high boost CTSC, 1996 3.0L 6spd. Swapping the pump for a 255, RC550s, stock FPR, and AEM EMS 2. If there is anyone with a similar set up that is willing to share their tune as a good starting point, I'd be very thankful. I don't mind using the base map from SoS and having my tuner go from there, but time saved is money saved, and we know NSXs are really expensive. Just thought I'd give this a shot before I reschedule with the tuner. Thanks for your time.

Running fi I wouldn't use another tune unless it was to get to a tuner. Too many factors in hoping you get the right numbers at 8k rpm. Not a safe bet.

yeah, i was still going to a tuner right away, but if the tune was close to what i have, it saves some time if i just need to tweak it instead of starting from a base.

Understood. But the cost of an extra hour on the dyno with a tuner versus blowing up the motor on the way to the tuner? Priceless.

There should be way more cal sharing for our cars. People can learn from each other and can learn what fueling strategies work and don't.

This forum (we) is/are in the stoneages guys. Obviously you must respect the power you have when accessing the cal and the potential kaboom that can go along with it BUT it's really not that hard for the willing and curious to learn. Mac Attack and I talk about this all the time and there really should be a thread for cal sharing.

Thanks RYU, yeah other cars ive had like my DSMs and 300zx TT, people would share that kind of knowledge frequently

I think most owners don't want to share their tune because of many factors. A tune on my car won't necessarily work on your car so possible liability comes into play. Also
if you work with ABC tuner, and he sees his tune posted on a website I'm not sure how happy he would be. A base tune is just that, something that will get your car from your home/shop to the tuner's dyno.

After you pay for a tune, it belongs to you, not the tuner. If you want to post it up on the Internet.....so be it.

In addition to Fueling strategies, AEM EMS TCS functionality is a BIG (time intensive) feature that should be publicly shared when dialed.

I for one will be spending time and money to dial in the EMS TCS system, as removing modulation under throttle conditions to keep traction is a big win for any driver.

I recently asked SOS to share their cal with me as I wanted to get familiar with the CAL prior to purchase, unfortuneatly even they weren't willing to share until I purchased a unit, which I plan to do shortly.

So SoS will share their TCS strategies? I already have mine, I'll have to give them a call on that. And yes once you pay for the tune its yours unless the tuner specifically requires to password it. TCS knowledge would be really clutch, as that takes a ton of time!

Most the good tuner I know, they charge a fixed price to tune ur car on dyno (for aem ems around 700 or800) if he knows what he doing should take more than 3 hours to dial it in

To anyone that has an AEM that the tuner has locked you out of, it is very easy to bypass the lockout and get in.

To anyone that has an AEM that the tuner has locked you out of, it is very easy to bypass the lockout and get in.
Tuners normally put a password to protect themselves. Many people blow their motors and then blame it on the tuner. A good tuner will email you your map so you can do what you please with it. To have access to make adjustments that can later be blamed on a tuner is the reason any smart tuner locks you out

Tuners normally put a password to protect themselves. Many people blow their motors and then blame it on the tuner. A good tuner will email you your map so you can do what you please with it. To have access to make adjustments that can later be blamed on a tuner is the reason any smart tuner locks you out

I have not found that to be the case. After my not responding to my concerns, I took my car elsewhere for tuning adjustments and the original guy would not give me the password to get in. His reasoning was not wanting his tuning expertise to be seen by others. He is/was supposed to be a talented tuner with AEM products....he sucked. Anyway...if they are renting you your ECU or tune...then they have the right to lock you out. If you paid for your tune on your ECU, unless you agree to be locked out of your own property you paid for they have absolutely no right to do so. Just my .02

So SoS will share their TCS strategies? I already have mine, I'll have to give them a call on that. And yes once you pay for the tune its yours unless the tuner specifically requires to password it. TCS knowledge would be really clutch, as that takes a ton of time!

I have no idea if SOS has worked out a good TCS calibration. I merely commented that even SOS won't openly share their tune without an equipment purchase.

It would be awesome if people did share calibrations especially in the case of TCS, and also aftermarket fast IAT sensor specifics benefitting all with some sort of a calibration related knowledge base.

I also believe any good tuner shouldn't lock his maps. The customer knows that the tuner is not responsible because they signed a waiver...that waiver should also protect from future claims as well. It's simply a dick move to treat the customer like that...forcing them to pay for any micro adjustment and basically locking them out of their own piece of equipment.

Last edited:
I have no idea if SOS has worked out a good TCS calibration. I merely commented that even SOS won't openly share their tune without an equipment purchase.

It would be awesome if people did share calibrations especially in the case of TCS, and also aftermarket fast IAT sensor specifics benefitting all with some sort of a calibration related knowledge base.

I also believe any good tuner shouldn't lock his maps. The customer knows that the tuner is not responsible because they signed a waiver...that waiver should also protect from future claims as well. It's simply a dick move to treat the customer like that...forcing them to pay for any micro adjustment and basically locking them out of their own piece of equipment.
Agree.

I'm happy to pay a tuner for his expertise in tuning my car but my tune is specific to my car. It will be incredibly rare that the next guy will have the same intake, same exhaust, same injectors, same timing, same gas, etc, etc, etc... At the end of the day my tuner's tune is at best a really good base tune. 3hrs on the dyno? c'mon.. it takes much more than that to fine tune each system. That's the added value an informed owner can add to their own setup and which i'm happy to share once I ever get around to it.

It is quite different on other forums I'm beginning to notice.

The caveat for me is... I'm heavily considering going with the HKS F-con. I may be screwed because I believe the software itself is proprietary. It's not open like AEM's is.

Actually it took him 45 mins street tune to dial in afr and 2 hours on dyno to dial in timing and everything else ( no base map). He also told me if anything happen to the ems that I need to send it back to aem to get it fix, just email him he will send me the that same tune, just tell him what day I got it tuned. He saved every tune for his customer, his name is Justin nenni if u wanna look it up

Anyone comfortable tweaking my base map to get to the tuner? My original tuner didnt pan out so I may go a different route via remote tune. But, I'd prefer to have my car idling and ready, before I schedule. I got the SOS base map for my a Super charger, i have a whipple set up, but a few things are different on it i.e. I have ID1000 not RC injectors, so anyone comfortable tweaking this so I can at least get to the dyno or idle? Thanks

Back