Advice on writing a personal statement for Law School

Hello fellow NSXers,

Currently I'm in the process for applying to law school and I'm required to write a personal statement. I'm beginning to get some serious writer's block and time is just ticking away. I've read a couple sample personal statements which have literally blown my mind in how "profound" and "worthwhile" their reasons are for choosing law. I just can't seem to find that profound experience for me. Every topic I can think of just doesn't seem to be relevant or substantial enough to satisfy the requirements. Any creative and constructive comments would greatly be appreciated.

Did they "define" the subject matter for the personal statement?

Why did you decide to go to law school? (I am not trying to be funny or make light of your situation, I am trying to get some insight into you in an effort to provide practical advice.)

Bob

This is Loyola's personal statement guidline. Although I'm applying to more than just one law school, each school has relatively the same guidlines.

A personal statement is required and assists the Admissions Committee in selecting a diverse entering class of students. It is also used to assess each applicant's written English skills. The personal statement provides each applicant with the opportunity to describe the uniqueness of his or her character, abilities, and experience.

Applicants often write about issues of diversity and how they relate to their cultural heritage, academic history, community service activities, and professional experience. Personal statements have also detailed the applicant's interest in the law as well as his or her particular interest in Loyola Law School. In the case of prior disadvantage, the Admissions Committee is interested in how the applicant has dealt with or overcome such adversity. The personal statement should be typed, double-spaced, and submitted with the application.

Bob,

I have many reasons why I chose to apply for law school. Some obviously aren't viewed as politically correct by law school admissions people. But honestly, money is a major as a motive, the job market is pretty bad, and I'm trying to find direction in my life, etc, etc.

The more politically correct reasons that I have for choosing law are obtaining a challenging career that fits me, interest in helping others, defending minorities from a ethnical or moral standpoint, etc, etc.

Obviously, I can't use any of the politically incorrect reasons because they would just jeapordize my chances of admitance exponentially. Hope this gives you a little understanding.

I had to write some when I applied and have read others as well. My personal preference was always to stay away from an essay solely related to the reasons why you want to go to law school. Try to focus on a meaningful time in your life and think back to any teachers you may have had who had an influence on you and who fostered an interest in education, sense of community and overall personal growth. I would imagine at some point you really connected with such a person and if you think back on that experience you may be able to unblock the writer in you.

Remember, they are looking more for ability to write than a "great story." Make it personal, concise, focused and, most importantly, grammatically correct and you will make the right impression.

Bob

Although somewhat related, when I wrote my essay for dental school applications I wrote about a personal triumph in my life. It's easy to write blah, blah, blah about how you want to protect and help other people, but that's what everyone writes about. The body of my essay was compiled with my struggles as a student in a very competitive enviroment and having to overcome obstacles that not everyone else had to deal with. I then connected that with my desire to become successful and enjoy my chosen profession.

So, sit back and brainstorm about a personal experience that changed your life somehow or motivated you to want to succeed. After you come up with that, you can make a broad statement about how being a lawyer will allow you to fullfill a life of success, wether or not it is financial or emotional.

-Good luck

I'm also in the process of applying to law schools. I've also read the p-stmt criteria for loyola. I 'd strongly recommend you to visit essayedge.com

For my Law School personal statement, I wrote about my hardships in High School and College. I had to care for my siblings and go to school at the same time. I also wrote about my work experience.

I flat out wrote how my knowledge and work in my 1st job would benefit me as a lawyer. I even made references as to what law I would want to study (for me it was corporate law).

Bottom line:

Make sure that out of the 1,000 of personal statements that they will read that yours is one of a few that they will actually remember.

Back