Advice on where to stay in London

Hey guys

I am travelling to London in about 2 weeks for work but I am staying there for a mini vacation..

Any ideas of what areas or hotels that would be a good choice to stay at?

Thanks

Julian

Hi there -

Do you know wherabouts in London you'd like to be based. It could make a big difference to any recommendations?

Also, it's helpful to bear in mind that London is a pretty large place (Equivalent in area to LA - I think - no flames please:) ) and you may be better staying a little out of the centre as

a) it will be cheaper
and
b) you'll be able to get out of the place

It depends what you're intending on doing for your vacation, I suppose.

If you're around on the 8th May, perhaps we could interest you in a day on the coast with some of the NSXCB members?

Regards
Joe

PS: I realise I haven't specifically recommended anywhere, for which, apologies, but if you could detail your likely requirements perhaps we can help :)

As Joe stated previously we need to know exatly where in London you are going to be. I've been there a few times and because I'm a spoiled American, I liked the Holiday Inn at Kennsington Square the best. The rooms were spacious, the shower was large enough to move around in, and it was modern. I've also stayed at some georgous B&B's that have a lot of culture and charm. It all depends on your taste and budget.

BTW, if can afford it, go for dinner at The Connaught. Right now it's probably a little more expensive for us because the dollar is weak over in Europe.

Have fun! I love visiting England.

Depending upon your budget, I would recommend One Aldwych (5 Star hotel) http://www.onealdwych.co.uk. I would also be in trouble back at home if I did not also mention St. Martin's Lane since my wife was involved in its design and construction.

But before you decide on a particular hotel you should really pick the "neighborhood" you would prefer. London is fairly large yet easy to get around so it depends upon whether you prefer staying in a more residential area, across from a palace or other major attraction, in the theater district, etc.

If you're looking for somewhat of a discount hotel you might want to try here...

http://www.londonhotelsagency.com/hotels/blakemore.htm

There's so much to do in London that you're probably not going to use your room much anyways. I had a great stay here when I attended the British GP a few years ago. It's also easy accessible to the airport via Paddington Station and Heathrow Express. A pricey ride but worth it IMO.

London is a fabulous place - throw the budget out because it is crazy expensive. Having said that if you want to spend up a bit I like the Radisson Edwardian hotels especially the one in Leicester Square ( close to West End theater with lots to do at night ). You can check them out @ www.radisson.com. Another favorite that is sort of affordable is the Goring Hotel ( www.goringhotel.co.uk ). I believe that is the first hotel in London to have electricity to all the rooms - family owned for generations - really nice.
The West End theater, the National Musuem, and the War Rooms used by Churchill during the war are not to be missed ( the list of other sites not to be missed goes on forever ).
A great day trip absolutely mandatory for any gearhead is Tom Wheatcroft's collection of F1 cars at Donington Park ( the heart of British motorsport ). It is easily done by train - leave early in the morning and return the same day - mindblowing !!!
Last but not least - use the Underground; it is easy and a day pass is very affordable.
HAVE FUN !!!

Last edited:
Their right -- it's going to cost you a fortune, but go for it. I had an office in London and was there a few times a month. In fact I'll be there next month, and I don't have that office any longer. Great City. I think it's very easy to get around. Worst part is getting into the City from the airport. Take the train. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, the Sanderson is only about $650.00 US per night.

Sanderson Hotel

A lavish "Urban Spa" in the heart of London's West End, Sanderson offers a retreat from the bustle of the city into a world of fantasy and well-being. The landmarked 50's building has been transformed by Philippe Starck into a surreal Cocteau - like dreamworld with a lushly landscaped interior courtyard garden, world-class gourmet, restaurant by Alain Ducasse, and the extensive facilities of the renowned Agua Bathhouse. Sanderson epitomizes a "new luxury" that is smart, pared down, and tempered with a healthy dose of wit and irony - in short, a hotel with modern sex appeal.

In the world of hotel guestrooms, Sanderson's are truly unique and groundbreaking. Designed without interior walls, the bathroom and dressing room are instead encased in a glowing floor-to-ceiling glass box that is wrapped in layers of sheer curtains. Wildly romantic, sensual and dreamlike, the 150 guest rooms feature silver-leafed sleigh beds, a rug inspired by Voltaire's hand writing and oil paintings of soothing landscape scene that are hung, unexpectedly, on a ceiling.

Address: Sanderson Hotel London
50 Berners Street
London W1T 3NG
United Kingdom

Marriott has two very nice hotels in London and several country resorts. I always gotten better rates and top quality service at the Marble Arch Marriott. It's just steps to the transit station. Make sure you take in a couple plays, there's a great discount ticket booth in Liesinger (sp) Square. Great city, have fun

Good atuff... Fortunately, since I am there on business, I'll be able to expense alot of things through the company..

I heard it's really expensive.. Is more or less expensive than NY?

Is Kensignton/Knightsbridge a good area to stay in?

If you're staying the city, as long as your near an underground station it doesn't really matter. You can get anywhere quickly.

There's bars, restaurants all over the place. Try using Timeout.com to find out more.

Knightsbridge is delightfull - the Sheraton Park Tower sometimes has deals for people in the U.S. and it's just across the street from Harrods where you can stress test your VISA card. The Sheraton Belgravia is in the same general area and I've gotten good deals there in the past. There are also some nice hotels in the Green Park area ( the Green Park hotel comes to mind ) which is also nearby. The time of year you are going should also allow you get last minute deals or even change hotels when you get there if you stumble into the perfect small property. In my experience the U.K. ( and Europe as well ) is much more oriented toward smaller family owned hotels that are really great and affordable than we are here where the big chains rule with an iron hand and frequent guest programs which I for one am thoroughly addicted to unfortunately.

If you like Lebanese food Fakhreldine is in that area and the best I've ever eaten, be sure to have at least one curry, and eat at one of Sir Terrance Conran's restaurants; they are fun and very London to me.

Lastly buy a TimeOut magazine immediately upon arrival; they are invaluable.

Last edited:
I go there, 1-2 times per year, and yes: London is crazy expensive. :eek: Be ready to pay up to 15$ for a sandwich and a Coke on the street. Or 30$ for a CD. Or 40$ for a normal mainstream movie on DVD.

If you do not care, the city is very nice in the few no-rain days and you can shop for really everything!

Have fun!

The link does not work. Anyway I have been from 0-stars to 5-stars hotel there... if it is 3 stars and up there is no problem at all. Go for it...

If it is a 2 stars, it all depends on you and your ability to adapt. And if you really need you own shower in your room... :D and not on the corridor.

If it is 1 or 0 stars, stay away, I was almost killed there... :( :eek:

Back