advice on early nsx's

greetings all. i just found this board and my first post here. i am considering purchasing a early 90's nsx and my question is what should i be looking for when i'm shopping? that is, did the early nsx's have any particular flaws that i'm not aware of? all of the nsx's in my price range (under 40k) seem to be high mileage cars over 80k. having owned 3 hondas in the past i realize that is not very high for your typical honda, but the nsx is not your typical honda at all. have any of you experienced owner seen many problems in the higher mileage nsx's? if so, please share.

thx and lets all toast one of the greatest cars EVER built!

Let me save you before the Forums Nazi comes out with his whip.

You can find most of the answers to your questions in the FAQ. Everything you need is there.

And just to note, there are numerous examples of early 90 NSXs in the For Sale section here that are well in your price range. Good luck with the search.

Hi mileage is not as much of a concern as maintenance history. In a nutshell, the big 3 for an '91-92 NSX are:

* Transmission snap ring issue
* Power Window regulator issue
* Timing belt/water pump replaced to schedule

And of course as w/ any car, maintenance history is critical. You should be able to find a very nice '91-92 for way under 40K. The classifieds here are a great place to start - good luck.

i looked all through the faq section and couldn't find the answer to my original question regarding any particular flaws in the high mileage early examples. are these message boards a bit unfriendly that you actually have nazi's patrolling? lol

defeats the purpose of having message boards

Welcome! There is plenty of information in the FAQ. Here is an excellent place to start, for example:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

The search function is also pretty useful.

If you stick around long enough, you will find that this is one of the friendliest forums around. We just get tired of answering the same questions over and over again, thus the creation of the FAQ and the "search" feature. I purchased an early model NSX fairly recently, and was able to find all the information I needed using the FAQ and web search tools.

Good luck to you.

Originally posted by hlweyl:
i looked all through the faq section and couldn't find the answer to my original question regarding any particular flaws in the high mileage early examples.

Virtually all of the problems that may occur are described in the FAQ under the "Troubleshooting" heading (red button), so if you press that red button, you will see individual sections. Each is worth reading.

Timbo nailed the most frequent concerns though. Read through the sections on "Transmission (incl Snap Ring)" and "Power Windows". Maintenance is described in the section on "Schedule" under the "Maintenance" heading.

Originally posted by hlweyl:
are these message boards a bit unfriendly that you actually have nazi's patrolling? lol

defeats the purpose of having message boards

Someone told me that the Forums Nazi is actually quite helpful, because in addition to pointing out when it would be helpful to check the FAQ or do a search on the forums, he also tells you exactly which sections to check and/or provides links to the relevant topics. So I've heard, anyway.
wink.gif

Just one more thing to add to Timbo's list:

The Climate Control and A/C system. VERY big bucks to fix. Make sure the climate control panel works properly, and the AC blows COLD on BOTH sides, at ALL speed settings.

Look into the FAQ about the "blower motor" for additional details.

HTH,
LarryB

I would like to echo LarryB, and add that it would be good to read the FAQ/Troubleshooting and Repair/Climate Control section referring to A/C Evaporators. My '91 lost its evaporator quite without warning, and the dealer fix may run $1200, or much more. It is very labor intensive, requiring that you virtually strip the interior of the vehicle. Testing the evaporator for leaks is a good idea, on an early model, IMHO.

Regards,

Bill

Back