Advice on 1992 NSX

Hi everyone:

I have been shopping for an NSX since August of 2002. Yes, I have taken advantage of the buying information offered by this wonderful site.

I am leaning toward a 1992 with 122k that is for sale locally. The asking price is $26,500, but the car has had $6500 in recent repairs, including a new transmission. I drove it in August and it seemed tight. I will of course have it thoroughly inspected at a dealer prior to purchase (unless someone has a recommendation for a great indy shop in the Milwaukee/Madison WI area).

The vin # is JH4NA1150NT000801

Can anyone do a carfax for me? I believe the car spent most of its life in Louisiana.

Does anyone know anything else about the history of this car?

I am a little concerned because the car has been for sale for a long time (over a year). I think the asking price is too high, but the mechanical condition may warrant it. Kbb is $23.5, but not all that reliable for the NSX or other high end/limited production cars. (Kbb thinks a 1988 M5 is worth $5k!).

Thanks.

Ryan Braithwaite
1994 BMW 325i
NSX forthcoming

Originally posted by brahtw8:
I will of course have it thoroughly inspected at a dealer prior to purchase (unless someone has a recommendation for a great indy shop in the Milwaukee/Madison WI area).

You live near one of the best NSX service departments in the country: Acura of Brookfield, just west of Milwaukee. Take it there and they will know exactly what it needs. John Vasos is the service manager and will help you.

Originally posted by brahtw8:
I think the asking price is too high, but the mechanical condition may warrant it. Kbb is $23.5, but not all that reliable for the NSX or other high end/limited production cars. (Kbb thinks a 1988 M5 is worth $5k!).

KBB is not reliable for NSX pricing. The best guide to NSX pricing is the "Pricing" section of the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions), under the "Buy Sell" heading. Just click on the word "FAQ" on the red bar at the top of your screen.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 March 2003).]

Hey Ryan,

We met at O'Fast last fall. You mentioned then that you were looking for an NSX. Great! This forum is a wealth of knowledge. The price does seem a bit high for the mileage though. Check the car's service history and records. Acura of Brookfield is THE place to go for an overall assessment and service of the NSX in this area. Give John Vasos a call; he may even know the car/owner and provide you with more insight. I hope it works out for you. See you next O'Fast???

Dave

------------------
Dave
'92 Red/Black

Since my relapse of NSX fever, I think I can hold off for another month and look for a car with considerably less miles. From a brief review of other threads it seems generally accepted that the $30-32k low mileage early NSX is a better deal, all other things being equal. I think something in the middle ground, i.e. $28-30k w/50k miles would be perfect. I doubt I will put more than 4-5k a year on the NSX.

If I find one locally, I will definitely take it to John Vasos for the inspection.

Dave, we meet again. I should have the NSX well in advance of O'Fast. I also plan to do one or more of the other bmwcca events at Blackhawk or Gingerman.

Ryan

Ryan,
Check out www.luxurymotors.com they have a Red 92 with 54,000 miles on it and asking $29k and in your neck of the woods.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Thanks for the info., Steve. I should have mentioned that I am picky as to color. Black on Black or Ivory is what I am looking for. Silver on Black is another possibility. No offense to all of those red NSXers out there, but I don't like bright red cars.

By the way, I have been monitoring autotrader and ebay for the last six months, so I was aware of that car at Luxury Motors. There are quite a few in that range right now. My desire to wait a month or so is weather and financially related. However, if anyone has a lead on a car I by no means wish to discourage them. I would prefer something located within 200 miles of Milwaukee that was either a garage queen or from a more hospitable climate.

Ryan

Good luck in your search it took me nine months to find mine and I found it in Chicago. I also wanted Blk/Blk but bought my Blk/Ivory instead and love it just wish this fricken Snow would stop so I could drive the car another 4 inches today.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by Steven Spanbauer:
just wish this fricken Snow would stop so I could drive the car another 4 inches today.

Yes, it finally snowed here, after a three-month stretch (since December 2) with bare ground and without so much as a 3-inch snowfall during that entire period.

Back