Advice Needed: Lease vs. Ownership for Daily Driver

Sig

Experienced Member
I will be getting a daily driver in the next few weeks and can't decide whether to purchase or to lease. The primary function for this vehicle will be for business. If I purchase, the car will either be a 97, 98 RL or TL and will be paid for in cash. The ones I have looked at were b/w 12 and 15K. One of the main reasons I am leaning this direction is because I am buying a house in a couple months and would like to keep my monthly debt payments minimal to assist in loan qualification.

If I were to lease a vehicle... I'm not sure what car I would get. Perhaps a new TL as there are good lease packages available on them right now. I have heard there are tax benefits to be had when leasing a car for business that may not be accessible with an owned car. Being that I am single without children, I need as many write-offs as I can get my hands on right now. Not sure if property tax is necessary either on leased cars..... keep in mind I have never leased before and am quite ignorant on the subject.

Other considerations, I drive about 15K miles per year total. I don't think this exceeds mileage limits with a lease. Dependabiltiy is also important. I think it is safe to say that there will be little to no problems with a brand new car. That said, a 97 98 RL/TL should not have too many issues either if in good condition.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

a good accountant will help you find the writeoffs irregardless. Ive done both, and imo the current climate right now is a used car buyers dream. buy a one or two year old car for 35-45% discount off of new.

If youre absolutely sure your mileage average will not change, a new car lease might make sense.

good luck.

Unfortunately, I do not own the business. Although owning a company worth billions sounds like an interesting experience :)

One day, one day.

Back