Advice: LS400 Winter Beater

I'm looking at a first gen 1991 LS400 as a winter driver, does anyone have any advice or experience they can pass along. I know they aren't the best for winter driving but I plan on putting on a nice set of winter tires to make it through the white stuff. Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a first gen 1991 LS400 as a winter driver, does anyone have any advice or experience they can pass along. I know they aren't the best for winter driving but I plan on putting on a nice set of winter tires to make it through the white stuff. Thanks in advance.

Great vehicle. I owned mine a little while ago but the motor/tranny/suspension felt like new with 100k miles on it. Expect the cluster to have some lighting issues and don't expect to be able to fix them (1200-2200). Don't get the air ride feature and if the starter hasn't been replaced I'd avoid the car. That might sound a little extreme but take my word for it. I replaced my timing belt/water pump at 120k with 10+ years on it and the water pump looked and performed like brand new; but it's a lot of work if you don't enjoy it and it's also 1200-2500 at the dealer.

I've never driven one in the snow but as I understand it even with snow tires, the LS isn't a good snow car. But...

We've had a 1991, a 1994, a 1997 (which I still have as my "beater") and my parents are now driving a 2006 LS. The first two each had 100,000 miles on them before they were sold. Not one problem.

Our 1997 now has just under 146,000 miles on it. Unlike the other cars she has to sit outside (we only have a two car garage) and the only problem we had with her is one of the 02 sensors went out last year. After 11-years and more than 135,000 miles... I'm ok with that.

They are boring, not exactly fun to drive, but they are super reliable, smooth, comfortable and actually aren't that hard on gas (although they do require premium).

Yea, make sure that the dash lighting isn't failing....the gas in the needles on the speedo and tach went out on both my dad's 92 LS, and on my 92 ES.

The car isn't a champ in the snow....and the traction control is quite abrupt. I'm not sure if dedicated winter tires are going to help. That is a 265HP torquey V8 with no weight on the rear tires. :biggrin:

I disagree with how the car handles in the snow. I had a '91 LS400 a few years ago with a fresh set of blizzacks. It drove like a champ in the snow. It was a year of a major blizzard and I went anywhere in that car.

In addition to the displays, watch out for the Power Steering pump. They ALL fail.

Just curious - How much do they cost and why don't you get a Subaru legacy or Impreza for a winter beater:confused:

Just got home with the car and I could not be more impressed. Here are the details:
1991 LS400 / 80K miles
it spent every winter in FL so no rust
Interior is 9 out of 10
Exterior 7.5 out of 10
Picked it up for $4,750.00

The car drives great with no squeeks or rattles to speak of. I've always wanted one of these big cruisers and now I finally have one !

If you are the type that doesn't care when things go wrong that don't keep the car from driving then they are a decent cruiser. I personally wouldn't get one again and definitely not outside of warranty.

For their outward size I never thought they were that big on the inside nor was the trunk particularly big. I honestly wanted to love that thing but it offered nothing I really liked. It didn't drive well, go fast, stop fast, handle bumps / bad roads well, nor was it overly luxurious.

They are expensive cars to maintain and we had several problems in the 3.5 years we owned it.

- instrument cluster
- CD changer
- diff (replaced under extended warranty = $4k!)
- AC Compressor
- TBelt/W-Pump was well over $2 at the dealer - ouch
- several other things

Also - one of the most sterile driving experiences ever. I honestly would get a used Cadi over one of these. I used to borrow my parent's same year Cadi every time my Lexus had to go into the shop and they would get a good laugh at my expense.

If I did have another one - I would find a cheap indy to maintain it or wrench on it myself.

If you are the type that doesn't care when things go wrong that don't keep the car from driving then they are a decent cruiser. I personally wouldn't get one again and definitely not outside of warranty.

For their outward size I never thought they were that big on the inside nor was the trunk particularly big. I honestly wanted to love that thing but it offered nothing I really liked. It didn't drive well, go fast, stop fast, handle bumps / bad roads well, nor was it overly luxurious.

They are expensive cars to maintain and we had several problems in the 3.5 years we owned it.

- instrument cluster
- CD changer
- AC Compressor
- several other things

Also - one of the most sterile driving experiences ever. I honestly would get a used Cadi over one of these. I used to borrow my parent's same year Cadi every time my Lexus had to go into the shop and they would get a good laugh at my expense.

If I did have another one - I would find a cheap indy to maintain it or wrench on it myself.

WOW I have never heard these cars talked bad about like this. I have owned several of these ranging from a 91 to the one I just sold a 2006ls460. The 91 went to a close friend who put over 350k on it with no major issues. He lived with the climate control display acting up. and I just also sold a 2004 LS430 on ebay. They are WONDERFUL cars and I plan on getting another LS460 asap! I loved driving it. Since I got rid of my daily driver it has been the only car I enjoy. So soft and smooth and VERY LUXURIOUS. These cars get a HUGE thumbs up from me!

- instrument cluster
- CD changer
- AC Compressor
- several other things

Although I enjoyed the car, I still agree with almost all your points. Original magazine reviews were astounded by the quietness and smoothness, but noted it felt like driving "a tomb".

The brakes do not exactly inspire confidence but if you think it didn't drive well you may have got a poor example. Mine drove like a new car, it was excellent over bumps.

I do my own wrenching-but make no mistake-they are not "cheap" to maintain although very reliable.

The cluster rarely "fails", it just dims etc. It's not cost effective to replace one for 1200+ if the only thing wrong with it is slightly dim lighting (not sure if yours follows suit here).

The timing belt is expensive. I did it myself and it's a ton of work with the big V8, dual camshaft, etc. Was 500+ just in OEM discounted parts. The starter is also a nightmare and fails on 95% of models by 15 years old. It's one of the most difficult jobs you can do on a car-period.

So if you buy one with a busted cluster, a failing starter, and that needs the TB/WP done.. yeah that's a nightmare.

Back