Advice before the plunge...

Ok, after twenty-four years of drooling I am final going to make the plunge and buy a NSX. First of all let me say I love this site, forums, marketplace, all the NSXness! Thank you all who have contributed to building such a nice community. :applause:

So back to business, I have been considering this 1999 NSX -T but would like to get some feedback from the community regarding the car. I am currently in negotiations with car owner and have got the price down and a deal I feel comfortable with. I am in San Jose and the car is up near Seattle so haven’t checked the car out yet. Was wondering if anyone from the community might know this car or could swing by and take a look?

I started my serious search to purchase a NSX only two months ago, so I nervous that maybe I am moving too fast but also worried to miss out on such a wonderful ride. However, I do noticed several Spa Yellow NSX's for sale now, is there an issue with yellow NSX's?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom from you NSX gurus! :biggrin:

Ok, after twenty-four years of drooling I am final going to make the plunge and buy a NSX. First of all let me say I love this site, forums, marketplace, all the NSXness! Thank you all who have contributed to building such a nice community. :applause:

So back to business, I have been considering this 1999 NSX -T but would like to get some feedback from the community regarding the car. I am currently in negotiations with car owner and have got the price down and a deal I feel comfortable with. I am in San Jose and the car is up near Seattle so haven’t checked the car out yet. Was wondering if anyone from the community might know this car or could swing by and take a look?

I started my serious search to purchase a NSX only two months ago, so I nervous that maybe I am moving too fast but also worried to miss out on such a wonderful ride. However, I do noticed several Spa Yellow NSX's for sale now, is there an issue with yellow NSX's?

Yeah, Spa Yellow is hands down the best color for the NSX! Good luck in your search.. As others will say, read the NSX Wiki. There is so much useful information in there it's mind boggling.

Don't be anxious and just buy the first good looking deal to pop up...obviously you want to get a PPI done by a certified nsx tech at a dealership if possible and autocheck/carfax should be clean.

Also, just as important IMO make sure it's the color you want..I held out for three colors( black, silver or white) and wasn't going to buy anything else...no sense in buying a car that wasn't really a color you like...because as soon as you do, a car will pop up for sale in the color you really wanted 10 minutes from your house:tongue:

Be patient, the right one will find you.

Good luck!!!

Did you pull a carfax on it yet? That should be the first thing to do if you are really interested.

Also, a quick search on prime shows that this car has had a not so pleasant life... missing motor and tranny!!! Read this thread...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...jh4na216xxt000080?highlight=JH4NA216XXT000080

Looks like Shawn can give you some excellent details on its story!

I am in the northern Seattle area but this car is in Auburn (southern Seattle), so it's about a 45 min drive from me. If you have done all the research and looked over the carfax and really think you might be interested, I could probably find a day to go down there to look at it for you. The car looks to be at least mildly customized.

Just let me know.

Last edited:
Too many Red Flags. I'd "plunge" on a different car. Unless there is a very large amount of detailed documentation that explains the missing engine and anything else that would show up in a history report. I'd also run both CarFax and AutoCheck reports as sometimes one will have information that the other doesn't. And if the seller admits that the engine and transmission have been replaced, I want to know who did the work and see documentation on it. Otherwise the price for the car should be significantly lower for me to buy it. But, I'd just pass on it anyway. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
asking solid money for a mystery car.:rolleyes:

I emailed him asking if it was the original engine see what he says also offered 30K for it.

PASS on this one guys. to much unknown but it drives and looks good so 30-38K is a good price to offer but no more in my book.

I emailed him asking if it was the original engine see what he says also offered 30K for it.

PASS on this one guys. to much unknown but it drives and looks good so 30-38K is a good price to offer but no more in my book.

How do you know it drives and looks good? :confused:

Anyways, let us know how he responds to your original engine inquiry. :biggrin:

Did you pull a carfax on it yet? That should be the first thing to do if you are really interested.

Also, a quick search on prime shows that this car has had a not so pleasant life... missing motor and tranny!!! Read this thread...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...jh4na216xxt000080?highlight=JH4NA216XXT000080

Looks like Shawn can give you some excellent details on its story!

I am in the northern Seattle area but this car is in Auburn (southern Seattle), so it's about a 45 min drive from me. If you have done all the research and looked over the carfax and really think you might be interested, I could probably find a day to go down there to look at it for you. The car looks to be at least mildly customized.

Just let me know.

WOW!! Great find Computron.... I was already thinking about flying up there next week based on the clean CArFax and AutoCheck report and condition of car it looked ok. Price seemed a bit high but now it seems very high.

WOW!! Great find Computron.... I was already thinking about flying up there next week based on the clean CArFax and AutoCheck report and condition of car it looked ok. Price seemed a bit high but now it seems very high.

You should email him and ask about the history of the car as well... See what they know and/or if they are honest. But like I said, if you are still interested I could go look at it for you.

well I dont know it drives LOL but it still looks good in pics.

Ah... I get it now. My bad. I read it wrong. Your meaning was "it drives" (as in it can move) and "it looks good" as separate line items. I read it as "it drives good and looks good". :tongue:

Anyways to the OP, I think the consensus is clear. This car has had quite a history. It will be interesting to see if the seller replies to any of your emails and what they say, but overall it's probably better to look for a different car especially if you've been drooling for 24 years. I completely understand your position because I too was drooling for 24 years and just got my NSX a few months ago. After looking at several possibilities, I ended up paying more for a completely uneventful and clean history car.

Ok, I had a long talk with previous owner who seem to know some info regarding car history. The engine and transmission is not original, and has been replaced with a drivetrain from a salvaged NSX which had 6000 miles on it. I don't want to feed too much into the mystery of the missing engine but again according to current owner, the original engine with damaged after some twin-turbo mods. During that service period is when the engine went missing. Car was collected and purchased by new owner and the salvaged 6000 mile drivetrain was installed. So although CarFax/AutoCheck shows one previous owner that car has had three based on the what the previous owner explains. Since the other two owners where car dealers, the was no need for DMV registration.

I think the car is fine and would drive well and it sounds good. But it's just too much drama for me now to consider unless the price was in the $30k range which it is not.

Computron, no need for me to look at the car at this point, however it would be nice to know if the car is mechanically ok...

Thanks guys my search continues...

Good idea....but as a caveat to that I have my original 96 with a 2000 motor which I swapped and have been happy with..engine came from a reliable source and I have had no issues.

Ok, I had a long talk with previous owner who seem to know some info regarding car history. The engine and transmission is not original, and has been replaced with a drivetrain from a salvaged NSX which had 6000 miles on it. I don't want to feed too much into the mystery of the missing engine but again according to current owner, the original engine with damaged after some twin-turbo mods. During that service period is when the engine went missing. Car was collected and purchased by new owner and the salvaged 6000 mile drivetrain was installed. So although CarFax/AutoCheck shows one previous owner that car has had three based on the what the previous owner explains. Since the other two owners where car dealers, the was no need for DMV registration.

I think the car is fine and would drive well and it sounds good. But it's just too much drama for me now to consider unless the price was in the $30k range which it is not.

Computron, no need for me to look at the car at this point, however it would be nice to know if the car is mechanically ok...

Thanks guys my search continues...

And he won't go down in price even with all that history?

Back