Addition of a Passenger Side Airbag

PhiAlpha44 said:
This might just be over the top, but has anyone installed a passenger side airbag into an earlier model of the car? What would you have to do? Replace the entire dashboard?

obviously, one has a giant hole cut in it for an airbag; the other does not.

and you'd have to come up with a bunch of wiring, probably new airbag computer, new glovebox pieces (and you'll lose like 80% of your useable glovebox space... who knows what else. oh, and an airbag.

time to replace the g/f :biggrin: i give mine shit for putting on make up in my cars.... if she gives me any greef about my car, its over and she walking back to her place.

PhiAlpha44 said:
Well my gf gives me shit for her not having an airbag... so I was just wondering.

Sometimes I think that all this airbag-stuff is going a little too far sometimes. Some cars now have I believe up to 12or 16 different airbags in the car, all there, of course, for the benefit of the occupants.
However, most people seem to forget that the first and most important aspect of safety (apart from not getting into an accident in the first place) is WEARING YOUR SEATBELT. Being in an accident without wearing your seatbelts but with an airbag is LESS safe that wearing your seatbelt in a car without airbag.
The airbag, after all, was thought up because a lot of people simply didn't want to wear their seatbelt. Together of course, there is an additional effect for the occupant especially to protect from head-injuries.

You could always upgrade to a 94+ NSX which has a passengers airbag as well of course, but even in the latest NSX, side-airbags never came into the picture.

PhiAlpha44 said:
Well my gf gives me shit for her not having an airbag... so I was just wondering.

What would you do if you had a classic car? Ain't no airbag going in something like that. There's a reason the NSX was the single most unpopular car with women--not one 2005 NSX was initially registered to a woman. It's not a Volvo.

I'd say if you don't like it, you can lump it--then take it down the road and dump it.

I would however say to her that as long as you can buy yourself something for the equivalent cost of installing an airbag (many thousands of dollars) go ahead. Not to mention the headache, downtime and possible ongoing bugs you might have from such a procedure.

And so that I'm PC here I'd say the same thing to a man who wanted to put in coilovers in the family Volvo. :cool:

I don't think it would be that difficult to add in two airbags.

1. 93+ dash
2. 93+ airbag
3. complete 93+ SRS wiring harness + sensors + computer

You should buy all the parts from the same year or ensure the part numbers all work together. The airbags changed somewhat over time and possibly the sensors too. Sensors from a car that has been wrecked in front should be condemed.

This would probably only be a reasonable job when the A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. Figure on 20 hours for the entire job.

Drew

/As for those folks that think that 19+ airbags it too much: I disagree. I've inspected some extremely destroyed cars and the occupants essentially come out scratch free (lots of abrasions though from the bags).

Two point "lap" seat belts reduce fatalities by 50% (over no-seat belts)
Three point belts reduce fatalities by 70%
The modern multi-bag SRS systems looks like they reduce it further to somewhere around 95%-97% (I've been outta the business for a while, but the reduction is extreme. Not sure about soft tissue either, but there appears to be a major reduction in that too)

PhiAlpha44 said:

Put a little monkey in the glove box with a trash bag. If you crash the monkey can blow the air bag up really fast.

Back