Add Passenger Airbag to 1992?

I am seriously considering a 1992 Sebring Silver to be used as a daily driver. The only problem is that I will be transporting my older child to and from school and would really like the added protection of a passenger airbag.

The car is in good condition and offered at a GREAT price. For this reason, I haven't just moved on to a 1993 or higher model.

Is there some type of retrofit available or could I install parts from a 1993+? What would be the expected cost if possible?

Thanks for the help!

oh boy...

personally I'd rather drive with NO airbag instead of a retrofitted one that may act erratically in a collision. Airbags kill people when working perfectly, who knows what a nonfactory one could do.

Either cover your dash in pillows, drive without an airbag, or buy a 93', just feel it would be unsafe to retrofit something like that

coastalride said:
I am seriously considering a 1992 Sebring Silver to be used as a daily driver. The only problem is that I will be transporting my older child to and from school and would really like the added protection of a passenger airbag.

The car is in good condition and offered at a GREAT price. For this reason, I haven't just moved on to a 1993 or higher model.

Is there some type of retrofit available or could I install parts from a 1993+? What would be the expected cost if possible?

Thanks for the help!

93+ glovebox
93+ dash
93+ airbag
93+ airbag computer

probably much more stuff on top of that...

yea, the cost between this GREAT 92 and a 93 just decreased a LOT by the time you figure out how much this stuff costs...

most of this stuff (yea, you're already into a couple thousand)

the airbag is $1500 from acuraparts 247...

so basically, if the 92 is about 10,000 less, go for it and have fun with your headache. If not, buy the 93 and go spend the 3 months it would take to retrofit all this stuff, and the 10k in parts / labor, and enjoy your car.

It really can't be done...unless you are willing to spend as much as the car is worth in time and parts.....the cost of the wiring harnesses,pass bag assy,dash pad,glove box,Control unit,fuse box and on and on, the labor alone would be prolly be 4k ....go buy a 93+ if its that important to you ...I would rather not have an airbag...air bags can cause injury to small passengers...and cause your car to be totaled more easily ...A minor hit that causes the the bags to inflate...just added 3k to your repair...(windshield,airbag)......silver is nice...buy the car ..foget about air bags..

Back