Acura NSX w/ Quad Projectors S2000 & FX (Part 1)

Here’s the long awaited quad projector setup with custom made front headlight lenses for Mike Cruz. Mike came to me looking for a headlight conversion which is part of what I do as my 3rd business. What I do is I take high end factory hid projectors and “retrofit” them into different headlights for various vehicles for the most custom and best performing headlights out there. The only way to get better HID lighting other then the HID Kits that people just install is the harder route which is getting an hid headlight projector conversion done. A lot of people don’t know about this but you guys can read up on it at www.hidplanet.com/forums :)

Mike dropped his NSX off to me a couple weeks ago to finish up his vehicle before it goes down to LA for 3 months.

During the week the vehicle was here, I had everything done already and just needed to test fit the lights and aim them to make sure everything is good. Then I could finish up the headlight.. seal it then reinstall it and aim it one last time. Put his bumper back together and for him to pick his car back up.

THE CUSTOM HEADLIGHT LENSES CONSTRUCTION IS IN THIS THREAD:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64133

Stock headlights
DSC04825_small.jpg

DSC04816_small.jpg

DSC04826_small.jpg

DSC04828_small.jpg

DSC04835_small.jpg

DSC04838_small.jpg

DSC04845_small.jpg

DSC04850_small.jpg

DSC04851_small.jpg

DSC04854_small.jpg

DSC04787_small.jpg

DSC04789_small.jpg

DSC04790_small.jpg

DSC04792_small.jpg

Machining Time!
DSC01688_small.jpg

DSC01690_small.jpg

DSC01696_small.jpg

DSC01698_small.jpg

DSC01701_small.jpg

DSC01704_small.jpg

Projectors Mounted & Comparing to Stock
DSC02611_small.jpg

DSC02613_small.jpg

DSC02616_small.jpg

Even with all the machining of the projector, I still had to get some clearance for the rotational function of my projectors and I manage to create such a small clearance for it…
DSC05023_small.jpg

Headlight lenses finished… everything is cleaned and ready for final reassembly
DSC04800_small.jpg

Construction pictures… as well as fitting the Masushita hid ballast to the back of the headlight casings. Not to mention a lot of cutting and modification had to be done to the headlight for this to happen in the first place.
DSC04865_small.jpg

Stock Rear End…
DSC04867_small.jpg

Modified Rear End for ballasts
DSC04875_small.jpg

DSC04868_small.jpg

DSC04947_small.jpg

The area behind the driver side headlight, it’s where I plan to mount my relay and switch to turn off one pair of projectors.
DSC04880_small.jpg

Polycarbonate piece of plastic formed and drilled to mount the relay onto the vehicle. And you can see the wire loom which is part of my wiring harness that runs across to the passenger side to supply the power to the hid ballasts on that side. It runs along the front cross member bumper support frame.
DSC04885_small.jpg

DSC04887_small.jpg

DSC05081_small.jpg

DSC05104_small.jpg

Had to cut a clearance slot for the headlight since the machined piece I made to mount the FX stuck under the headlight and hits the headlight mounting bracket piece on the vehicle.
DSC04897_small.jpg

And here it is with it cut out and the stock headlight plug & harness
DSC04889_small.jpg

I carefully removed and relocated the stock wiring harness including undoing the factory zip ties as to not remove them. For whatever reason in the future, at least it can be put back to stock.
DSC04892_small.jpg

DSC04893_small.jpg

And I relocated the plug down to the front of the headlight for the high beam activation for the FX bi xenon projector.
DSC04894_small.jpg

DSC05070_small.jpg

Here’s the plugs from my wiring harness which will plug into the two hid ballast mounted on the headlights.
DSC04902_small.jpg

Rubber coating was sprayed on the exposed metal where I cut out to prevent any rust from forming in the future.
DSC05006_small.jpg

DSC04963_small.jpg

Ready for testing! Test fitting went well and time to go out and see if my rotational adjustment.. up and down adjustment and all that is within specs so I wont run into issue when the final time comes around with everything put together.
DSC04904_small.jpg

DSC04907_small.jpg

DSC04918_small.jpg

Everything went well and time to finish up the rest of the headlight. The stock projectors on the NSX are very long but ROUND, absolutely round like the front lenses on the pictures you saw above. The FX and the S2000 projectors are oval and is about 1” too wide in stock for.. I did a lot of modification.. cutting and etc on the projector and housing while being careful not to alter the actual usable beam pattern. This resulted in a housing full of holes! Hahah… Had to cover it up of course, can’t leave the headlight open.
DSC04925_small.jpg

DSC04927_small.jpg

DSC04928_small.jpg

DSC04933_small.jpg

DSC04934_small.jpg

DSC04939_small.jpg

DSC04940_small.jpg

DSC04951_small.jpg

To make it more cosmetically appealing the white material was sprayed with black rubber to compliment the headlight housing. In the picture they may look a bit wet since I took the picture before it dried. The latter pictures will show that it matches the housings nicely.
DSC04968_small.jpg

DSC04969_small.jpg

Headlights all cleaned,. And ready for the lense to go on, just some detailed pictures for you to enjoy before I do put it on.
DSC05014_small.jpg

DSC05017_small.jpg

DSC05027_small.jpg

DSC05028_small.jpg

DSC05050_small.jpg

DSC05054_small.jpg

DSC05063_small.jpg

DSC05064_small.jpg

DSC05065_small.jpg

Due to carefully reengineering and designing this headlight conversion, and planning ahead of time, I didn’t have to cut the support brackets on the headlight mounting bracket on the vehicle and the back of the headlight had just enough clearance.
DSC05074_small.jpg

DSC05076_small.jpg

DSC05077_small.jpg

Stock and… LittoDevil’s creation!
DSC05088_small.jpg

DSC05091_small.jpg

DSC05094_small.jpg

DSC05096_small.jpg

DSC05099_small.jpg

DSC05085_small.jpg

Time for a ride at night! All pictures have the normal quad projector setup on unless other wise stated. And sorry for some blurry pictures as I was in a hurry to take them to vehicles behind me wont have to get stuck behind me
DSC05126_small.jpg

High beams! Bi xenon feature from the FX projectors.
DSC05127_small.jpg

At intersection… in front of a van.. and in front of a gas station store.
DSC05130_small.jpg

DSC05133_small.jpg

DSC05134_small.jpg

Isn’t that just nice? :)
DSC05135_small.jpg

DSC05138_small.jpg

DSC05147_small.jpg

DSC05135_small.jpg

DSC05138_small.jpg

DSC05147_small.jpg

DSC05148_small.jpg

DSC05156_small.jpg

DSC05158_small.jpg

DSC05157_small.jpg

DSC05159_small.jpg

DSC05160_small.jpg

No light leakage from the side of my custom headlight lenses
DSC05163_small.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: The beam pattern you see below is not aimed too high as some might unmistakably assume. The ground in front of the NSX dips down into a little valley so beam pattern may look as though it’s aimed so high that it’s blinding everyone :) Just to make sure you guys know that, that’s all hehe.

OFF
DSC05166_small.jpg

S2000 LOW BEAM ON ONLY!
DSC05169_small.jpg

S2000 & FX both on for QUAD Projectors
DSC05167_small.jpg

HIGH BEAMS!!! :) Please note the FX has more of a hump to it for high beam, but it does light up even light everywhere else above the cut off line while some may not notice that.
DSC05168_small.jpg

Drivers view :)
DSC05175_small.jpg

DSC05176_small.jpg

Came up on a hill at a stop sign.. thought this was cool to light up with a sharp line on the trees :)
DSC05178_small.jpg

DSC05188_small.jpg

DSC05189_small.jpg

DSC05192_small.jpg

DSC05193_small.jpg

DSC05194_small.jpg

DSC05195_small.jpg

DSC05196_small.jpg

DSC05197_small.jpg

DSC05201_small.jpg

DSC05203_small.jpg

DSC05204_small.jpg

DSC05208_small.jpg

DSC05210_small.jpg

Ballast mounts nicely behind the headlights and you can see it with the front hood open :)
DSC05257_small.jpg

DSC05258_small.jpg

Just to refresh…

STOCK & QUAD HID’s :) Which lighting would you like to drive at night? 
DSC04787_small.jpg

DSC04915_small.jpg

Both pictures were accurately taken above with the same settings and as distances as close as possible to teach other. You can tell that the lightings on the buildings are relatively the same and the difference is the light output :)

Lighting For The Next Generation!

The continuation of this headlight conversion follows the custom headlight lenses that I created here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64133

Best Regards,
Larry Wu
LittoDeviL Performance
[email protected]

Would you consider creating a kit to sell? Great job btw.

Great job - very skilled & incredibly detailed write-up!

No disrespect - the only detractor is the price - comment certainly not a refelction on value of the work involved, which is obviously quite intense! (MikeC, the car owner reported $3K in the original post on the Northwest forum )- but just general net value. It's really a lot of money for lighting!
This is similar price to the complete 2002+ factory HID light assemblies, but of course you still have the added body component changes (hood/bumper) to deal with going that route.

Great Job Larry - glad you've dipped into the NSX market, i'll definately be looking to you for help with my retrofit when I start cutting up the stock housings :)

But I have a question.. Why not use two sets of FX bi-xenon projectors, and have all four projectors on for low beam, and all four activated for high beam? To me that would be better utilization of the projectors.

Clearly, the s2000 projectors are one of the best in terms of light output and cutoff quality, but I think that would be overpassed by the "awesome" factor of four projectors acting as both low beams and high beams?

Last edited:
That looks awesome. Any idea of what that would cost to retail?

Also does the lucky owner have any of the dreaded headlight shimmy?

I just stumbled onto this thread now after looking at mike's nsx thread....

Seems as if there are others out there doing retrofits as well. I have quite a bit of experience in baking headlights and installing angel eyes, etc since I too have a 3rd side business/hobby doing custom electronic work primarily for the BMW community.

We specialize in doing angel eye installs, clear corner mods and of course the retrofits. Just completed a complete s2000 retrofit in a 2001 Prelude so I can appreciate the hard work it takes to get this completed!

Great job on the NSX - I saw your work first hand and it does look very nice. Looks like I'll have to surf over to HID forum to see what's over there.

kudos,
rick

Wow, that is a fine line! Cut off line that is. Looks great.

I hope 2 vendors start making these!!! And then a pricing war starts and we get them for less than $300 bucks and I will buy a set!!! :biggrin: j/k

But seriously, I want a set.

I'd love to have a set of these to retrofit onto my Alltrac. Maybe figure out a way to shorten those really long housings too?

Anyone have a set of OEM headlights they want to give up?

+1 for FX housings! Very compact for the light output you get! Love them...

I can certainly appreciate all the effort and time it took Larry. I just did the FX projector mod on my Tacoma and I can't believe I didn't do this years ago. It's a 1000% improvement than what I had before.

I'm not convinced it's all that necessary for the 91-01 NSX headlights yet but if you have a DD that isn't on projectors then you owe it to your eyes to retrofit those puppies!

Here they are on my pickup
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/...ta Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD/FX-R Projectors/

Back