Acura NSX w/ Custom Mold Headlight Lenses (Part 2)

This is continuation of the Acura NSX headlight conversion with quad projectors, dual S2000’s and dual bi xenon Infiniti FX projectors. The project took an extreme turn over when I placed the stock glass lenses in front of the headlights after I finished mounting the projectors. To my EXTREME disappointment, I got 3 cut off lines due to the texture on the headlight lenses.

In the beginning I didn’t think much of it, because the stock low beam area has a clear glass spot which I figure would work. Like… I could aim it so the cut off line shines right thru that clear spot and I should be fine.. .but no I was wrong, the rest of the texture that’s in front of the projector also messed up the beam and gave me 3 different cut off lines on top of each other when I shined it against the wall. So I had to figure out a way to make this work or scrap the whole project and a waste of time.

Anna, my girlfriend has always told me that I’m one ambitious devil… and I wasn’t about to let this stumble stop me from moving ahead. Thinking positively I was trying to make this problem into a challenge and just look at it as a speed bump on the road where I have to figure out how to ride over it gently while keeping everything smooth and groovy.

So gaining from my experience with thermoplastics as well as learning some more along the way.. I decided to not replace the whole headlight lense in plastic (which I could do) but instead took another route which was to carefully slice off the front glass lense without breaking it, and then replace it with an exact identical shape of polycarbonate UV protected headlight lense.

It didn’t end there, I had to figure out how to bond it to the glass reliability and figure out a way to finish the edge since the headlight lenses can still be seen from the side and from the front with the headlights opened.

Glass had to be etched… professional high performance grade adhesive was obtained to reliability bond the plastic to glass and able to sand and finish the edge

The adhesive I used to bond the glass to plastic is not a typical substance found at the local hardware store or else I would have gotten it.. and here’s why…

Silicone and polyurethane can’t be used because I can’t sand or finish the edge of it from the excess adhesive that is along the edge.

Epoxy also won’t work since it doesn’t bond plastic to a thin glass edge reliable enough and it can’t cope with the thermal expansion differences of the glass and plastic. Since the plastic will split away from the glass due to the two materials expanding at different rates at elevated temperature and this is a problem since epoxy is stiff and it’s not a flexible material like silicone or polyurethane.

The glass lenses were tested for water leakage as well over a few days period. At times I also put weight to sink it down before water came in over the top to simulate a pressured water wash or heavy rain. It was successful and no water leaked in.

And some facts… I never like to sand down any glass or plastic fluted lenses for a few reasons. First off it’s super time consuming especially with glass. Second the end product has never been as clear as I like it from all that I’ve seen people do. From pictures online it may seem perfect enough however in reality it’s just not up to par to my standards.

Perfectly clear polyurethane plastic lenses, the same ones used on oem headlights will already chop off about 10% of the light output. Imagine one that’s pitted.. sanded and polished or yellowing… it will block off much more then 10% of the light output.

Enjoy the pictures :)

DSC00915_small.jpg

DSC00916_small.jpg

DSC00917_small.jpg

DSC00923_small.jpg

DSC00924_small.jpg
DSC00927_small.jpg

DSC01705_small.jpg

DSC01710_small.jpg

DSC01728_small.jpg

DSC01731_small.jpg

DSC01733_small.jpg

DSC04475_small.jpg

DSC04478_small.jpg

DSC04497_small.jpg

DSC04504_small.jpg

DSC04505_small.jpg

DSC04506_small.jpg

DSC04507_small.jpg

DSC04508_small.jpg

DSC04510_small.jpg

DSC04515_small.jpg

DSC04517_small.jpg

DSC04519_small.jpg

DSC04523_small.jpg

DSC04528_small.jpg

DSC04738_small.jpg

DSC04742_small.jpg

DSC04743_small.jpg

DSC04745_small.jpg

DSC04757_small.jpg

DSC04759_small.jpg

DSC04765_small.jpg

DSC04767_small.jpg

DSC04769_small.jpg

DSC04773_small.jpg

DSC04776_small.jpg

DSC04801_small.jpg

DSC04804_small.jpg

DSC05035_small.jpg

DSC05045_small.jpg

Best Regards,
Larry Wu
LittoDeviL Peformance
[email protected]

Larry,

Glad to see you've ventured over to the NSX domain to start offering HID solutions. I've been following your retrofits over at HIDplanet for a while now!

Have been contemplating what i'd be doing with my NSX when I get it in terms of a retrofit. Do you plan on selling these covers? I would definately buy a pair :)

Vizal said:
I have done a similar project and remember to put a UV film over the plastic or else it'll become "yellowish" over time.

Nice work :biggrin:

Thanks :) actually the plastic has a UV protected coating over it.. GE comes out with various polycrabonate grade including abrasive resistnt ones like the oem uses and uv ones and a bunch more :) Just a lot of them can't stand the forming temp of heat. But neithertheless this is the only headlight lense I recommond the urethane headlight film to protect it since it is not a headlight lense I can just buy but instead woudl have to make another one if anythin ghappened to it.. and those urethane film also have UV protection coating so it's all good :)

AccessPhoto, wow i didn't think anyone form hidplanet actually has an nsx and on the nsxprime :) now i feel more at home :)

Best Regards,
Larry

Is that you in the 8th picture? :)

The pictures are great. I'm guessing it took you a while to complete this project? Are you going to provide pictures once they're installed so we can see the difference it has vs. the oem glass?

Veleno said:
Is that you in the 8th picture? :)

The pictures are great. I'm guessing it took you a while to complete this project? Are you going to provide pictures once they're installed so we can see the difference it has vs. the oem glass?

Hey, hmm me in the 8th picture? I don't see me in any of the picture... I just see partical reflection off the chrome trim :) hehe

I do this.. high end headlight conversions as my 3rd business, it did take a whiel to compelte as I ran into some issues i've never encountered but it came out great at the end. If you havn't already, but I assumed you did... I did the part 1 write up somewhere on this thread as well.

I never took the picture of what the s2k output looks like with the stock lenses but since Mike is having me do a "back up" set for him with the set that came off of his car, i'll be able to show you it.. actually I still have the sliced up stock glass lenses here.. i'll take a pic and post it up for you to see later on.

Best Regards,
Larry

LittoDeViL said:
This is continuation of the Acura NSX headlight conversion with quad projectors, dual S2000’s and dual bi xenon Infiniti FX projectors. The project took an extreme turn over when I placed the stock glass lenses in front of the headlights after I finished mounting the projectors. To my EXTREME disappointment, I got 3 cut off lines due to the texture on the headlight lenses.

Best Regards,
Larry Wu
LittoDeviL Peformance
[email protected]

Wow, simply wow.

The explanation you made, the detailed, clear quality photos you took, its all very impressive. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking -- what method did you use for forming the polycarbonate? Was it vacuum formed, or gravity formed, or what? Looks like the formed piece is a bit bigger than the original did you make a mold by hand? I'd like to know if a DIY'er could do something similar. I actually have a different project in mind, but could use the insight. Thanks.

rbirling said:
If you don't mind me asking -- what method did you use for forming the polycarbonate? Was it vacuum formed, or gravity formed, or what? Looks like the formed piece is a bit bigger than the original did you make a mold by hand? I'd like to know if a DIY'er could do something similar. I actually have a different project in mind, but could use the insight. Thanks.

The piece is not any bigger or smaller then the orignial or else it woudlnt' work out. It's the exact same profile on the surface of the glass lense.

I actually made a mold off the glass lense then vaccum formed the polycarbonate over my mold.

The plastic has to be pre-dried in a controled heated enviornment before you can bring it up to it's 400-450 degree forming temp. If you just heat it up, you'll get bulbbles appearing on the surface form the trapped moisture inside. Here's the catch, just off hte top of my head.. even a 1/8" thick plastic sheet needs to be predryed at around 200-250 degrees for around 15 hours. The temp goes up over time and the time varies, but it's a very long process to do properly. Not to mention if you don't have an indstural oven.. you could be running up your gas price on your oven in your kitchen :)

Larry

Nice work Larry-

Larry did a BIG retrofit project on my Supra TT headlights which I ended up selling and bought a NSX. Larry does some impressive projects, very talented.

P.S Im also on HIDPLANET as well

ST

760NSX said:
Nice work Larry-

Larry did a BIG retrofit project on my Supra TT headlights which I ended up selling and bought a NSX. Larry does some impressive projects, very talented.

P.S Im also on HIDPLANET as well

ST

Hey!!!! So you did end up selling the Supra and buying an NSX!!!! Congrats. I thoguht you were also looking into the Viper back then.. :) But very cool.

Larry

LittoDeViL said:
Hey!!!! So you did end up selling the Supra and buying an NSX!!!! Congrats. I thoguht you were also looking into the Viper back then.. :) But very cool.

Larry

I sure did and spent way too much $$$ on it as well. I ended up just getting a plug and play kit which has pretty good color on the cut off, nothing better as real HID projectors. I might have you do me a retro for my X but I might end up doing a 02 conversion with the new headlights which already come with HIDs. Ill have to PM ya...

by any chance does anyone have the pictures from this thread (and it's part 1) saved?

Back