Acura not living up to its reliabilty reputation?

I WAS thinking about getting another acura. I recently sold my Legend, and the Explorer is just too rough. So I was considering getting the TLS or CLS. I thought either would look good next to the NSX.

anyhow, after doing some research, seems these cars are dropping transmissions. People are having problems as soon as 7000 miles! some people even have had 3 transmissions (2001 models)
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=9aabbae9e0f0bd76e9d3f6275c3d11a4&forumid=126

do any of you have these cars? how do you think this will affect the Acura name?

Why is Acura replacing the tranny on a CL four times when the owner freely admits to after-market headers and exhaust? BMW would void the warranty.

I've had my 02' TL/S since September, 2001, and it's around 7,000 miles. No problems yet. The car is an awesome daily driver and can put a hurting on V6 Mustangs, hehe!
biggrin.gif

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe. - Not Bone Stock :D

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

I guess my point is that there are a lot of CLs and TLs currently having transmission problems outside of the few that have the intake and headers. (cant see how just an intake and header system would eat trannies though)

are there any NSXers here that have higher milage TLSs or CLSs? any problems to report? I was and still am considering these cars, but getting a bit nervous about it. Might have to go by a bullet proof legend again :P

I don't think it is just Acura. Increased competition has effected all the major brands' quality, IMO.

I don't know what would make a transmission go sour, but the early Legends were very sensitive to being put into drive, from reverse, while the car was still rolling.

Yes, I have a 2001 CLS.

I too have had transmission problems (replaced trans after 22K miles). The org. transmission never felt right. The new one whines a lot and mis-shifts (so I'm betting another one is in my future).

No Mods and I don't track it or drive it very hard. I did quit using the sport shift feature (I hope that might help save the tranny).
Other than that the car is pretty good. I don't care much for the front wheel drive. I would go for the new 6 speed manual (for obvious reasons). Also wish there were more gauges (oil pres, volts?) considering the level of this car, and a lock for the trunk.

hg.

01 CLS
91 NSX Blk/Blk
74 AMX

Back