Acura/Honda...are your eyes open?

Damn Honda! should have gone with McLaren in the late 80's/early 90's, and have provided them with the engine for the F1. That alone would have given Honda all the credibility in the world.

Actually they did. It was when they parted ways in the early 90's where Honda F1 all went down the drain. (That and the death of Senna which it seems like Honda has yet to recover from) The NSX was Honda's halo car to celebrate their sucess in F1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leandropena/231297343/

Actually they did. It was when they parted ways in the early 90's where Honda F1 all went down the drain. (That and the death of Senna which it seems like Honda has yet to recover from) The NSX was Honda's halo car to celebrate their sucess in F1.

I was talking about the McLaren F1 supercar, should have been more specific. I know about the McLaren MP4/4.

I was talking about the McLaren F1 supercar, should have been more specific. I know about the McLaren MP4/4.

Hmmm good point...Honda + McLaren + Street Car Design = Awesome street car! The possibilities! :eek: :biggrin:

Hmmm good point...Honda + McLaren + Street Car Design = Awesome street car! The possibilities! :eek: :biggrin:

I dont know if you were aware, but Gordon Murray asked Honda to supply the engine for the McLaren F1 supercar. Sadly, Honda declined, and Murray then turned to BMW.

The McLaren went on to win in the 24 Hrs of Le Mans on its first attempt. Honda could have been part of all that success, had they made a wise decision, and giving them that much more credibility as a company with racing heritage, which they do have, and a rich one at that.

So in a sense, the McLaren F1 could have been that Awesome Street Car, the $1Million supercar powered by Honda!

800px-Dr_Evil.jpg

Still an Front Engine, Rear Drive IIRC

The quotation in the photo says mid engined.

Still an Front Engine, Rear Drive IIRC

McLaren also in Mercedes supercar mix
While HWA in Germany readies its front-engined SLC, AutoWeek has learned that a second Mercedes supercar project is also on full boil—at McLaren in England. Shown in this illustration, the Mercedes-McLaren is a mid-engined, carbon-fiber-bodied car codenamed P11.

Glad it changed... McLaren was really pushing for a MR, but Mercedes Brass was set on using an FR platform for comfort. After the Liquidation of some of McLarens Stocks.... It seems Mercedes' 'Say" in things aren't as strong. Good for McLaren!

I dont know if you were aware, but Gordon Murray asked Honda to supply the engine for the McLaren F1 supercar. Sadly, Honda declined, and Murray then turned to BMW.

The McLaren went on to win in the 24 Hrs of Le Mans on its first attempt. Honda could have been part of all that success, had they made a wise decision, and giving them that much more credibility as a company with racing heritage, which they do have, and a rich one at that.

So in a sense, the McLaren F1 could have been that Awesome Street Car, the $1Million supercar powered by Honda!

800px-Dr_Evil.jpg

Sometimes it amazes me how a company can make such huge PR mistakes like this and can still be a contender in the world market.
Are these decisions made with a cup of tea leaves ?
When Mr Honda left the yes-men have only themselves to turn to.

Honda won six consecutive F1 Contructor's title (a record still stand today), and five driver titles, between 1986 to 1991. Tey won five races in 1992, three by Senna and two by Berger. The race win included the last race of 1992 in Australia.

Ayrton Senna's death has nothing to do with Honda.

Honda's association with Senna very much ended after 1992; however, Senna did keep closer friendship with some Honda engineers.

Back