Acura Certified Warranty

Just wanted to pass along my experience with the Acura Certified Warranty. Upon purchasing the car, I was told that the Certified warranty was essentially the same as extending the OEM 4/48 warranty by 1/12. This is not the case. I had several small maintenence items that I unfortunately waited to attend to and in the process went past the original 4 year manufacturer warranty and into the certified warranty. These items were as follows:

Covered:
CD changer E-07 disk eject error
Rattle under steering wheel column

Not Covered:
Weatherstripping around the driver's side window torn. (~$1300 - the stripping material alone is around a grand :eek: - apparently it is one piece that goes all around both doors so be very careful with your weatherstripping!)
Occassional moisture/condensation inside driver side headlight (~$1450)
Passenger power mirror doesn't work (~$450)

I can understand the weatherstripping not being covered as this could have been due to an owner caused problem, but I certainly can't understand the mechanical failure of the other two items not being covered. In total, the proposed bill for the work which is uncovered by the extended warranty is around $3000. If I had brought it in when the vehicle was under the original warranty, I have been told that it would have been covered. The car is about 2 months out of the original warranty. Is anyone familliar with an appeal process with Honda? I doubt I will be successful, as ultimately it is my own fault for not investigating for myself what the certified warranty did and did not cover, but maybe I will be lucky considering how close I am to the OEM warranty.

The lessons, as always, are (1) read the fine print (2) never trust anything a car dealer tells you.

If I had brought it in when the vehicle was under the original warranty, I have been told that it would have been covered.
Did they explain to you how the certified warranty is different from the original warranty, and why something would be covered under the latter but not under the former?

(I don't know why, myself, and I'd like to hear the explanation.)

All of those items should be covered, except maybe the headlight if the car has had previous paintwork and it caused the seal to be broken. Id raise hell, or go to another dealer or ask to speak with the district service rep.:wink:

I've got this CPO warranty also and have noticed that there is condensation in my taillights and my dealer said that is not covered.

Makes me think Acura's CPO warranty is crap

When I was originally at the dealership, I expressed my surprise and disappointment about these items not being covered. The dealer offered to proactively reach out to Acura and see if they should be covered, even though the initial readout from Acura CPO indicated that they were not. I just heard back from the dealer and it appears as if these items will in fact be covered, which is great.

All of those items should be covered, except maybe the headlight if the car has had previous paintwork and it caused the seal to be broken. Id raise hell, or go to another dealer or ask to speak with the district service rep.:wink:
Hey Mike what's up? It's Omar. I finally started playing around on this site. It's cool! Alot of ideas and info. If I have any problems, am I covered?

Hey Mike what's up? It's Omar. I finally started playing around on this site. It's cool! Alot of ideas and info. If I have any problems, am I covered?

Your certified playa:wink:

Back