• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Certified NSX Tech...What will happen to them?

I went to the dealer to get my oil changed yesterday.

I called 5 days before to make an appointment, they said, "just come in", I said, "even for an NSX? "
-They said "yes".

I get there, and they cant do it because they do not have the correct replacment oil.

Made me wonder...

Does a certified tech do the oil changes?
Does it vary from dealer to dealer.
And what happens if a certified tech leaves, do they train a new one?
Or
Are Certified NSX tech's going the way of the dinosaur?

There is no thing as an NSX Certified Tech. An oil change in an NSX is not different then any other Honda/Acura other then the oil weight which is 10W30 unlike the 5w30 or 5w20 they use in most all other Acura's

I lot of dealers like to try to charge premium for the NSX just because it's a NSX.

Last edited:
The dealer no longer required to have NSX certified tech.

I don't even go to the dealers any more unless it's warrantee related work.

I was in the Honda PACT program here in San Jose and no there is no special training for the NSX it was just the master tech that would work on them before. But the NSX isnt hard stuff anymore its old technology.

I went to the dealer to get my oil changed yesterday.

No comment.

I called 5 days before to make an appointment, they said, "just come in", I said, "even for an NSX? " -They said "yes". I get there, and they cant do it because they do not have the correct replacment oil.

WTF. We all know how hard that special 10W-30 blend is to to come by. Who knows, maybe their was a run at the local wallmart, pep boys, NAPA, and autozone that day. :rolleyes:

Does a certified tech do the oil changes?

I certainly hope the don't have their senior tech spending all day doing oil changes. LOL.

Does it vary from dealer to dealer.

No comment.

And what happens if a certified tech leaves, do they train a new one?

economicallyviable.jpg

... but for you I'm sure they would make an exception.

Or Are Certified NSX tech's going the way of the dinosaur?

Maybe they are chasing those lucrative 'green jobs' everyone keeps talking about- changing oil in those Toyota Prius green machines that clean the air perhaps??? :confused: :biggrin:

green-jobs.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it does vary greatly between different dealers. It all depends on how many NSX are in your location. Usually the good ones start their own businesses having built up clientel via word of mouth. I wouldn't take my car to a dealer. There are better independant shops here in So Cal to chose from.

Oil changes are so easy I just do them myself. You just need to jack up the rear passenger side and remove the wheel to access the filter. I won't take a chance on some rookie cross threading my oil pan drain bolt or some other stupid mistake. The least experienced guys are the ones that are doing the oil changes.

Not any more since they no longer offer the training course for obvious reasons. However they are out there and the real ones have the certificates to prove it.

I think you drank the koolaid:).

I have been told definitively, by multiple Acura Dealers, this "Ceritifed NSX Tech" is a myth.

No question there is a "Master" Tech.

I would be happy to stand corrected.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
I get the same thing with the S2000. I can't change the oil for the price they charge. If I buy the OEM filter and 10W30 OIL it is more than what the HONDA dealer charges. Typically only their top tech touches the S2000s. (an I watch!)
However,
they do charge me more than a Cvic because of the "special OIL". I tell them my 1966 Ford Mustang uses that "special oil" as well and has for the past 41 Years!
It isn't special oil. It isn't bulk bought. 40 gallon drums vs. 1 litre containers. ( that does cost more. )

BTW.
the Acura dealer does charge a premium for an NSX oil change compared to the rest of the Acuras out there, the HONDA dealer does not. I do my NSX myself, but HONDA will do it for less than Acura.

I have been told definitively, by multiple Acura Dealers, this "Ceritifed NSX Tech" is a myth.

Mike Alcalde at MCA Motorsports and Dwight Brady at HondaTech would probably beg to differ with you. Next time I see them I'll photograph the certificates they received from Honda for completing the NSX courses.

I prefer estrogen from the tap instead of Kool-Aid btw. :biggrin:

I am pretty sure that Jerry at Greenlight was certified to work on the NSX also. He is on prime now and then, perhaps he can put this subject to rest. It would be nice to see a scanned copy of such a certificate.

I believe Mark Basch was one of the first to get papered too...

The real scoop.......

I called up Jim Barbopoulos, the master tech at our Acura store, who's been there since 1989 or so (I started here in 95).

I remembered that he was the only one to work on NSXs there, and he told me that while there were no "certified NSX techs", there was, at the time of the NSX launch, a battery of training courses that each dealer required one tech to complete.

He's the only one that was sent, the only one to work on NSXs since here, and still employed with us :)

Re: The real scoop.......

I called up Jim Barbopoulos, the master tech at our Acura store, who's been there since 1989 or so (I started here in 95).

I remembered that he was the only one to work on NSXs there, and he told me that while there were no "certified NSX techs", there was, at the time of the NSX launch, a battery of training courses that each dealer required one tech to complete.

He's the only one that was sent, the only one to work on NSXs since here, and still employed with us :)

That sounds like an accurate description of this whole debate regarding "certified NSX techs". Years ago I asked John Vassos the same question and he told me the same thing that there were no such thing as "certified" NSX techs.

I guess people use "certified" as a means to tell if the tech went to those training courses.

Barney Demonbreun (Barn Man) can probably verify this but I believe he is a simply an Acura Master Technician that has received the factory training / certification to work on the NSX. To my knowledge, he is the only technician at his dealership (Gary Force Acura) that is trained to do so and I believe that is the case at most dealerships.

Back