Acronyms in the Wiki?

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, or if it's been covered before (didn't find it via a search).

So often I read posts that are perfectly understood by the poster and likely (most of) the rest of the audience here, but are alphabet soup to me.

Here's an example (not intending to call out the poster, just an example):

"In my opinion, the AEM FIC is a poor tuning system for a forced induction Civic, let alone an NSX... The difference between the Civic and the NSX is the impact on your wallet if a catastrophic failure occurs.
You may not even have an FIC though, and if that is the case, you probably have an FMU, which, again in my own opinion, is like hooking a horse up to the front of your car for more power, which will probably get you down the 1/4 mile faster, but unless you are in the nineteenth century, you will look like a fool... The same goes for an FMU..

The AEM EMS is really the best option. Only thing better would be if someone could hack the oem ECU (like Hondata), then you could retain all of the oem features that you could potentially lose with the EMS (traction control comes to mind). "

Acronyms used above:
AEM
FIS
FMU
EMS
ECU
OEM

Now I know what some of them mean, but I am not ashamed to admit I don't know them all.

Can we start a glossary in the Wiki? I'd even volunteer to help consolidate the list if people can send me the acronyms and a brief description, even if that description is a short as what the letters stand for.

AEM= Advanced Engine Management (Name of performance parts company)

FIC= Fuel Ignition Controller ("Piggyback" style computer that works in conjunction With factory computer. Used to control injector pulse and ignition timing)

FMU=Fuel Management Unit (raises fuel pressure with loss of engine vacuum, such as under full throttle conditions. Very primitive.)

EMS=Engine Management System (Typically aftermarket, made by various companies such as AEM, Motec, Halltec, etc.)

ECU=Engine Control Unit (brains for the engine)

OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer

That looks like one of my posts! Im not offended though, mostly flattered :)

No offense intended.

ntenseone, this explains the acronyms used in the example. But it doesn't help me or anyone else either find it easily, or when other acronyms (of which there are probably hundreds, or dozens at least) are used. Hence my suggestion to centralize a description of commonly used acronyms in the Wiki.

Back