accidents on carfax history, devalue the car??

My question is based on seeing an accident history on an NSX(NA1) how much does this affect price or whether you will buy the car? This case I am looking at still has a clean title and no salvage title. All coments welcome. Thanks.

It will definitely affect the value however the amount may be subjective. Have a PPI done to make sure the repair was done correctly and not at a shoddy discount chain body shop. If the repair was done correctly and you aren't too concerned about high resale value you may end up with a nice car at a great price.

Insurance companies can help you figure this out. They have to make these adjustments on cars and although it may be somewhat subjective - there is a number. Question is what is the real damage. You need to know what was done to really determine how much it would be depreciated. To some - no amount of discount is enough to warrant buying a car with accidente history. Many believe and rightly so that there is no substitute for original paint. All cars with original paint from collectors pieces to present are at a premium over ones with accident history or just repainting from being old and tired.

So what's it worth to you, how much damage was there, how many panels were affected, etc.; all that plays into it. If it's a great car with absolutely only superficial damage and I mean NO frame damage at all - then depending on year and basic value it might be an ok deal. But there is no stock answer to this question of yours except - yes it does affect the value. More detail would be needed to determine how much.

the real question is if you want to drive it or store it. i have a car that fits in the same category- clean title yet repainted after panel replacement- i can drive it everywhere without worrying about damaging the original finish etc.- i can always paint it again. if you are looking at 'investment classic' that will maybe holds its value in 30 years- get the original car.

Don't be blinded by a clean CArFAX either, Just because nothing is there does not mean no accident; I suppose CArfax is just a negative indicator - nothing there means you have to look at it, if there is something showing, then you know where to look for the damage.

I looked at a 91 NA1 that was billed as a pristine garage queen - clean CarFAX, and found ill fitting panels, non stock hardware, wrinkled welds and an aftermarket paint job. Would be great for a track car (if no frame damage) but not in my garage.

Last edited:
My rear bumper cover was replaced by Nello Acura about a year prior to me buying it and did not show up on CF, however the owner {a member here} was very honest and told me. I did'nt think twice about it since it was due to a terrible scratch.

Don't be blinded by a clean CArFAX either, Just because nothing is there does not mean no accident; I suppose CArfax is just a negative indicator - nothing there means you have to look at it, if there is something showing, then you know where to look for the damage.

I looked at a 91 NA1 that was billed as a pristine garage queen - clean CarFAX, and found ill fitting panels, non stock hardware, wrinkled welds and an aftermarket paint job. Would be great for a track car (if no frame damage) but not in my garage.

Very true, Carfax is some what good but does not always turn out to be what you see on paper. You need to inspect the car for yourself and know what you are getting into. My daily driver civic was in an accident from the rear but had a clean carfax. It was my dumb ass fault for not looking closer and being patient. I can tell you it wasnt sirus at all but something did happen. Always be careful of carfax!! I learned a leason the hard way.

Back