ABSINTH the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY

My friend has a bottle at his house...I hear it tastes like crap and makes you hallucinate (sp)

-Awais

Zuerst said:

I do believe it is legal to possess just not legal to sell, or maybe Im just seeing stuff :biggrin:
attachment.php

Armando

Last edited:
stick w/ spanish fly or brass monkey

hmmm... The link provided stated that it's molecular structure is similar to THC (the active ingredient in Mary-Jane). THC is a fat soluble compound which gets imbedded in adipose (fat) cells, therefore staying in the system for months unlike water soluble compounds/substances. Also, THC is also associated w/ 'flashback' phenomenon, that is when the fat cell that has stored THC metabolites gets metabolized, it releases the remnants of the compound into the system and causes a psycho-somatic response (varies on the type of metabolites and the individual).

So if you're planning for a drug test for work/education or you have a career that has zero tolerance for altered state of mind (even after 'use'), it's bests' to refrain from consuming this product.

However, I'll be in Zurich in a few weeks... anyone want any, pm me... lol
:biggrin:

Random: I saw a special show a few months ago on Discovery channel or another cable educational channel that was centered around this product.

The THC-like substance in Absinthe is known to be addictive and to cause enlargement of the heart - which is the source of the old joke about Henry Fonda and another star drinking this stuff in front of a fireplace. The punch line presumably after several glasses is "absinthe makes the hearth glow, Fonda" which plays on absinthe makes the heart grow and absence makes the heart grow fonder.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Anyone here ever try the stuff?

http://www.absinth.com/

Armando
I have 2 bottles bought at a shop in Nice specializing in this one elixir. Yeah, its some STRONG sh*t, like 151...only on steroids. But is tastes great, like Ouzo (well, if you like the taste of Ouzo). The way to drink it is to pour a little over an sugar cube suspended over a glass with a little water at the bottom. That water dilutes it (and makes it cloudy), and the sugar takes the edge off. And yes, it is very strong. Makes my wife woozy. Come to think of it...I'm getting thirsty. Oh Lucy... :biggrin:

Armando, we'll have to have some together before heading down to South Beach one night.

serialNSXer said:
I have 2 bottles bought at a shop in Nice specializing in this one elixir. Yeah, its some STRONG sh*t, like 151...only on steroids. But is tastes great, like Ouzo (well, if you like the taste of Ouzo). The way to drink it is to pour a little over an sugar cube suspended over a glass with a little water at the bottom. That water dilutes it (and makes it cloudy), and the sugar takes the edge off. And yes, it is very strong. Makes my wife woozy. Come to think of it...I'm getting thirsty. Oh Lucy... :biggrin:

Armando, we'll have to have some together before heading down to South Beach one night.

I brought this up as an old freind who resides in The Czech Republic sent me a bottle of the stuff, and although am game for most anything if there is stuff floating in the bottle I feel compeled to ask a few questions. Or at least lock the doors before we dilute the sugar cubes with this overseas firewater. :)

As far as dinner on South Beach, Ill take care of the Valet for the F1 :)
Armando

I called all my local liquor stores in the phone book. No one has Absinthe on the shelf or can get it. Can anyone here send me a small flask, like a fifth. I will reimburse them for the bottle, shipping and their time. I had not heard about Absinthe until now. I would like to give it a try and post my findings
here.

Logan Fils absinthe made the old way has all the essences in the same proportions as in old original absinthe, including particularly Grand Wormwood, Genepl, Petite Wormwood, Anise, Fennel and others. These essences together with wine spirit have quite a significant effect on the body, in that you can drink much more of the stuff than other strong spirits and it does not make you feel drunk but ...
As Oscar Wilde once described :
"The first stage is like ordinary drinking, the second when you begin to see monstrous and cruel things, but if you can persevere you will enter in upon the third stage where you see things that you want to see, wonderful curious things."
And this is what probably made famous artists what they were.

Last edited:
I have heard absinthe described like this; instead of drinking absinthe, ask a close friend to crack you in the back of the head with a long 2X4. The results are just about the same, without the recurring headaches.

BTW, I have often thought of trying some myself though, as Ouzo is one of my favorite drinks. :wink:

steveny said:
I called all my local liquor stores in the phone book. No one has Absinthe on the shelf or can get it.
as noted earlier, it's illegal to purchase in the US.

from the Absinthe FAQ:

WHAT IS THE LEGAL STATUS OF ABSINTHE?

In the United States of America, absinthe was originally banned by Food Inspection Decision 147 in 1912. Now, thujone is banned as a food additive according to Section 801A of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of August, 1972. Wormwood was included on a list of unsafe herbs which the FDA released in 1975.

Although it is banned in some Western countries, absinthe isn't controlled as a drug but as a food. As with many other things considered poisonous, you aren't allowed to commercially make food or drink containing more than trace amounts of thujone. However, simple possession of thujone-containing ethanol solutions will probably not get you into legal problems. Presumably you would be legally liable for any possible damages if you gave absinthe to others to drink. Artemisia species are completely legal and are attractive perennial ornamental plants.

Thujone is one of the "active" ingredients. Of course the high alcohol content is the main one, but many versions use spices that have their own "special" properites. Thujone will not show up in any common drug tests, such as those used for employment. It does have an effect similar to marijuana, but is "smoother". The main source for thujone in Absinthe is wormwood. This is easy to obtain. It has a VERY bitter flavor, hench the use of additional spices such as anise.

The traditional way to drink it is to pour it into a glass, place a slotted spoon over the glass, place sugar cubes on the spoon, and pour water over the sugar. This causes the green absinthe to turn white, or louche. This is the method used during the height of absinthe consumption. The modern Czech method is to pour the absinthe over the sugar cubes into the glass, then light the sugar, and stir it into the absinthe. This does not cause it to louche.

Absinthe is easy to make yourself, but the louche is hard to acheive in homemade absinthe. The stories about blindness and other ill effects are mainly due to the addition of all kinds of harmful adulterants back in the days when its popularity was at its peak. The absinthe available today is of varying quality, most poor. Alot of what is called absinthe actually has no thujone at all.

I've tried several brands of varying quality, strengths, and origins, and have made it on numerous occasions. Not really anything to be afraid of. Again, the alcohol is the thing you need to worry about the most.

This is all from memory, there is plently of info on the net about it. The only place I would trust to buy online, for several reasons, quality the main one, is

http://www.czechabsinth.com/m/distillery.html

Last edited:
Back