About to pull the trigger on this '92 NSX. Your thoughts?

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but have been in love with Acura's NSX since i was in jr. high. I finally found one in my price range that seems to have been maintained pretty well. But because I don't know much about buying older NSX, I would love everyone's opinion if this is a good deal or what other questions I need to address to the seller before buying? Hopefully I can buy it buy this weekend! Thanks everyone!

Here is the some details of the NSX as per mentioned in the seller's post:

Selling for $20,000.

-140k miles
-New timing belt
-New NSX upgraded leather seats installed 6/14/11
-Engine - all seals replaced - May 2011
-Transmission - all seals replaced - May 2011
-Clutch - upgraded to lightweight performance custom clutch.
-I didn't a new clutch, but decided to have it done while the transmission is down
-its light to the tough and feels like an OEM clutch, only it grips much faster.
-New lightweight fly wheel/pressure plate, clutch/fly wheel were balanced prior to install.
-New windshield and NSX OEM molding. installed around March 2011
-New rear tires with 800 miles on them purchased on June 4, 2011
-New window motors, will last a long time now.
-authentic racing hart
-cruise control
-brakes are good ( i unplugged the abs brakes and it feels better i think)

please feel free to inspect, test drive, or bring your own mechanic

issues:

-Radio doesn't work (needs a new center amp)
-ABS brakes was making a funny noise once in a while (I like it better not to be on, so I unplugged it and it drives fine, but now the ABS light turns on)
-left rim has a small bend in it from hitting a pot hole around los angeles and alignment is slightly off.
-bottom of the front bumper has seen its days of parking blocks and scratches, prior owner tried touching up almost the whole bottom.
-air only blows on high or off
-has a bunch of little rock chips on the front from the freeway.

Do you have a link to the ad? VIN?

The radio/amp is pretty common. The ABS light could mean the pump has failed and that can be very expensive.

I'd figure the guy had the transmission seals replaced while installing a new clutch rather than putting in a new clutch "while the transmission was down". Seems to be an odd reason.

Find out why it needed a new windshield. Figure out why the wheel's bent and the alignment is off (simultaneously). He may have slid the car into a curb and bent suspension pieces (also very costly).

Ultimately, have a Primer check out the car and have a PPI performed.

You're gonna need to change your user name if you get it. :D

Did he replace the water pump with the timing belt? Hoses been changed or appear to be ok? ABS would raise my eyebrow, so would why was the windshield replaced? If it were me I would wait a year or 2 and save up more money and keep an eye out for a better one. Just my .02.

Is it red on craigslist lol. Where is it located amigo.

^^^ That's a pretty good Buyer's Guide, at least it was written by someone who actually knows something about NSX's.

Too bad he's apparently not heard of BrianK for Climate Control and Stereo repairs :wink:

Brian

Back