About to by my dreamcar!!!! But first some advise...

Hey guys! First off I have to congratulate you guys on an awesome job on this forum. Way to keep the class!!

Anyways, I'm currently undecided on whether I should follow through on the deal Ive been offered. I currently own a 2005 RSX-S, highly modded (Cams, computer, intake exhaust... well you get the picture). Of course that is my daily driver and its been a great car so far. But the truth is, ever since Ive been old enough to know what a car is ive always kinda been in love with the NSX.

Last week this add came up on local classified adds for a 1991 NSX, 2 owners 47k miles: It seems like a great deal since he wants 25K for it and hes willing to negotiate. I talked to the owner yesterday to set up a meeting to see if I could go check it out, so we agreed on friday. He said the car is mint and also agreed to take the car over to the ACURA dealership to have it checked out. He has everything documented and whatnot (forgot to ask him if he knew of the shifter probs with 91 models, but he did have the belts and waterpump changed not long ago). I just printed out the NSX buyers guide that someone posted on this forum a while back, so im ready to go!!!

Ok but here is my dilema... I cant have two cars (Im a med student who still lives with his parents...they wont let me have two cars lol!!!) What scares me is that this car is going to be my one and only car a.k.a my daily driver. I live in Puerto Rico and the hospital is not very far away from where i live. SO you have an Idea of how many miles I drive: Ive had my RSX for almost 6 years now and the car only has 25K miles. The prospect of having a 20 year old car as a daily driver still scares me. I really cannot afford to be left stranded by my car while im on call, as something might happen to a pt for example because of me not arriving on time.

So what im really asking is for some input on you guys that have these older models. Do you drive the car alot or do you only use it on weekends? Have you ever had this car break down on you?
I know these cars are pretty reliable and Ive never missed an oil change on my rsx, so you know im gonna take care of the nsx even better.
Im very excited to get to test drive the car and be an official member of this club, just kinda nervous on what might happen later on... Thanks guys!

First Post FTW!!!!:tongue:

here are a few pictures the guy sent me

Attachments

• nsx hard rock.jpg
    nsx hard rock.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC02937.jpg
    DSC02937.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02927.jpg
    DSC02927.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 237
well i have 91 with 80K on it and yes it;s my DD i put about 2k a month the ? you asking is Honda reliable well it all dpends on who you ask but as for me i rather have 20 year old NSX then any new car again as long it;s propley been tacking care off and you'll enjoy NSX eveyday and you trips to work might get longer and you well start tacking detor just to drive little more lol. good luck.

It is a Honda. The NSX even topped a reliability survey(tied a Lexus if I recall correctly) for at least one year(95 or 96?). There are examples with over 400K miles out there so as long as you keep up on the maintenance you shouldn't have any major issues.

well then it might behoove you to look up all his old posts as you might gain some usefull insight into this car if it is the same.

well then it might behoove you to look up all his old posts as you might gain some usefull insight into this car if it is the same.

yes thanks for that! On a side note I hope the modifications that he had to do to his car to make those huge wheels fit where reversible (I didnt really like them at all....)

Ok no the current owner's name is no Luis (Luis is the member here). His last post was on 2006. Probably the same car...diferent owner

Edit: ok not the same car, just found out it is a 99. Got scared there for a moment cause One of his posts he was buying NOS!!!!

Last edited:
why wouldnt you finish school first?? Keep your RSX and get an NSX that you can enjoy when you're out of school

eh... you've got a point there... I haven't got much time in my hands... this was written on my five minute study break...which turned to an hour lol. But basically the main reason is that these cars are an extremely rare find in PR, not many were sold here, and many of those that were are dead now from crashes. I was thinking of buying one in the mainland... But that would be a huge hassle! I would have to drive xxx miles to get to a port and then have it ship here. I was seriously considering it though. If this car doesn't turnm out to be what i expected it will be what i have to do to actually get my hands on one

Hope you have a good security device down there.... even with that, it probably won't help.

Hope you have a good security device down there.... even with that, it probably won't help.

most of the cars that get stolen are the more common ones... the ones that are easier to sell and get away with it. And there isn't one theft deterrent that'll stop all thieves. If he wants it really bad hell take it. The best deterrent available is how you behave with your car: watch shady areas, dont park far away, avoid leaving your car unlocked... all that stuff. I dont know how reliable is the security in this car so im planning on installing that gps tracking service (forgot its name)

Do it. If you can get a deal do it. Your a med student, pssshhh, get it for a steal and pay it off is a few months later. Some one on here has a quote "buy now, cry later". It seems lately I am living by that quote lol.

most of the cars that get stolen are the more common ones... the ones that are easier to sell and get away with it. And there isn't one theft deterrent that'll stop all thieves. If he wants it really bad hell take it. The best deterrent available is how you behave with your car: watch shady areas, dont park far away, avoid leaving your car unlocked... all that stuff. I dont know how reliable is the security in this car so im planning on installing that gps tracking service (forgot its name)

I sold my RX7 to someone down there, it was stolen as soon as it hit the port. The 7 community is also small, but that didn't stop them.

You're right though, nothing you can do about it.

I sold my RX7 to someone down there, it was stolen as soon as it hit the port. The 7 community is also small, but that didn't stop them.

You're right though, nothing you can do about it.

Yeah security at port is terrible. Everyone here know shipping a car is a huge risk. A friend of mine had his Mugen Si transported here. He picked it up the same day it arrived and found out it wasnt a mugen Si anymore...Everything mugen had been stolen, even the badges. Im sure the cars get stripped clean even while they are on the ship. I dont know... maybe it depends on the shipping company also...you pay cheap you get cheap security...

Ok so sadly the transaction never happened. Really im kind of relieved it didnt. The actual NSX that got me hooked was a targa...I can just imagine me driving it on my way to the beach :). Plus the 3.2 6 speed is a better choice for me. Im sure i would have eventually tried to change it for the newer ones.

Anyways this will happen, sooner or later! I can't wait till i find the perfect one! Itll be a nice adventure since i would probably have to cross the whole country to get to florida ports to have it shipped :)

Buy the nsx sell the rsx and get a scooter to commute to the hospital. Your parents said you can't have 2 cars but they said nothing about a ruckus!! or a motorcycle haha. :wink:

when you not sure....reach high. I never lost doing it! lost $ but not my life!...buy it!

I know I will have to pay more... I dont care! So many times I have opted for cheap... not this time! My dream is 3.2L Targa. Not gonna have it any other way!
Buy the nsx sell the rsx and get a scooter to commute to the hospital. Your parents said you can't have 2 cars but they said nothing about a ruckus!! or a motorcycle haha. :wink:

hey hey! Not a bad Idea there lol!! Selling my rsx is on my "NSX Plan". First i gotta find the time to fly to the main land, then find the right car and bring it back to PR! It will be so much fun to do so...I really hope its a car in Cali so I can drive cross country in the car visiting everywhere :). That will happen either next summer or the one after that... I hope its the former :rolleyes:

Back