"A Snapshot in Time" vs 996TT

I started a thread on s2ki.com whether to buy an NSX or a 996TT, since responses NSXPrime may be more one-sided, and I came across a great description. Link

"The NSX to me is a snapshot in time."

This really could be applied to any car that was revolutionary in some way or another. It's a great reason to buy any classic car, really.

I just thought I'd share the great description with you guys.

Anyways, here's what I posted on S2ki regarding my thoughts on the NSX vs a 996TT.

I'll be selling my 02 S2000 soon and I've been thinking about my next car. This will be a few months out, but I just wanted to get some more opinions.

NSX996Size.jpg

NSX911.jpg

For quite a while, I've been dead set with the NSX despite its old age, and lack of horsepower compared to recent cars, but it was one of my childhood dream cars, and IMO still one of the sexiest cars ever.

I test drove a Cayman S, just for fun on a sunny afternoon, and it had a somewhat similar experience to the NSX. It seemed to have more torque than the NSX, but I just can't get over the way it looks, so the NSX was still firmly seated at the top of my head.

On another sunny afternoon, I dropped by again since the saleslady was very nice last time. I got a tour of their garage which included a ton of weekend racers, twin GT3 track cars, and a 959! Anyways, I thought about test driving a 911, but didn't think I'd like it since it's a heavier car.

So I drove a 996 C2, which I think is the most basic model with a mere 300ish hp. The gobs of power and torque were a ton of fun. The ride was stiff but not harsh. The car felt planted even though I could feel the extra weight. The interior isn't as horrible as it looks in pictures. Traction control kicked in even though I floored it through a corner. Plus it has 4 seats, so if I do have kids in the future, it'd still be okay. I can't imagine how much more awesome the 996TT would be.
Anyone care to chime in on 996 vs a 996TT?

Aesthetically, I'd still prefer the NSX, as IMO it's a timeless design, but I'm not sure if it's worth the lack of power and age.

I couldn't really gauge the handling, as it was slightly wet during the NSX test drive, and I didn't feel comfortable yet in the 911.

NSX
Looks
I think will still look good in 10 years
Slightly cheaper to mod
Lighter, more fun to drive
Reliable, cheap to maintain
Probably harder to find in GPW

996TT
Power
Torque
4 seats (more future-proof)
Reliable, a bit more expensive to maintain
Probably won't age as well
Much newer car

Last edited:
The experience your going through having to deal with either a 996tt or an nsx is the same experience I went through. I probably put 8000 miles driving around looking at 996tt. Every single 996tt had a deal braker. I hated the interior, I hated how you had to check the oil, I hated how you had to jump start the car, I hated how much maintenance was, I hated the engine compartment, the black interior looked like pontiac. If I ever buy a 911 turbo it will be the earlier models. The nsx is a beautiful machine. Everything just fits perfectly.

As silly as this may sound, the headlights on the 996 is the deal breaker.

+1

When shopping for a "new" car, my list was narrowed down to 996, turbo Cayenne and the NSX. Ultimately I chose the NSX because of it's comparative rarity, cheaper price and the satisfaction of finally owning the car I lusted after since I was 13 years old.

996TT drives itself. NSX much more fun to drive. And those 996 headlights suck. If you don't have your right foot on the floor all the time, you aren't using all the hp you have. Why do you need more? :tongue:

996TT is a MUCH faster car, but thats about it. It doesn't look as nice. The interior feels cheap. Lots of plastic. I hate how if you are missing options, you just get a blank button.

The 997TT is a MUCH nicer car.

I have both, with the 996TT being modded to around 525 awhp. That kind of hp makes a car a whole lot of fun to drive. There are lots of reasons to buy a Porsche as there are for the NSX. After I had my NSX for a while the only thing I didn't like was the lack of power, other than that I love the car. Now that I'm turboed I have the perfect car. If I could get anywhere near what I paid for the Porsche I would consider selling it and buying another NSX and installing a turbo on it as well. I know that isn't going to happen so I will keep the Porsche in Chicago and have fun with it on the rare occasions I take it out

+1
When shopping for a "new" car, my list was narrowed down to 996, turbo Cayenne and the NSX. Ultimately I chose the NSX because of it's comparative rarity, cheaper price and the satisfaction of finally owning the car I lusted after since I was 13 years old.

Wow, talk about disparate vehicles- the Cayenne Turbo and the NSX. I can't think of more opposite ends of the spectrum. The NSX is a like using a scalpel and the CTT is like swinging a mace. Depreciation-wise the NSX is probably close to bottomed out but the CTT, getting 10-12MPG, is probably far from depreciated out with gas prices what they are.

I'm fortunate to live about 5 miles from my work, otherwise my CTT-S may have been gone a long time ago. But...truly incredible things happen when you stomp on the big pedal on the right and 550HP moves 3 tons. :smile:

I like your open mind though, no boundaries!

Wow, talk about disparate vehicles- the Cayenne Turbo and the NSX. I can't think of more opposite ends of the spectrum. The NSX is a like using a scalpel and the CTT is like swinging a mace. Depreciation-wise the NSX is probably close to bottomed out but the CTT, getting 10-12MPG, is probably far from depreciated out with gas prices what they are.

I'm fortunate to live about 5 miles from my work, otherwise my CTT-S may have been gone a long time ago. But...truly incredible things happen when you stomp on the big pedal on the right and 550HP moves 3 tons. :smile:

I like your open mind though, no boundaries!

Haha, thanks. I think the idea of the Cayenne was an attempt by me to keep some practicality with a daily driver. The combination of utility, 4 seats and speed was appealing... although obviously not enough.

I'm surprised that Joe "Pbassjo" hasn't put in a post like - "oh no not again".

Anyway, we've surely discussed the pluses and minuses of Porsche vs NSX and 996tt vs NSX and Viper vs NSX - ohhhh boy.

Point is that both cars are great cars. I wouldn't want a 996 of any variety it has issues with RMS and IMS. I've mentioned that before. Doesn't affect all of them but only about ??% - some say as much as 10%. I don't know - I just believe I'd be one of the 10%. The 997 is much nicer inside and it's modern and has nav and stuff from the factory but it still has an IMS and RMS. The 997.2 since 09 has another engine with DFI and it's totally new with no IMS and the RMS is not an issue. Are there other issues looming - too early to tell but so far this new DFI is a great engine and there are some out there with 50k miles. I like them and I'd like to have one - a targa, but they are on a whole nuther level of cost and maintenance and not only maintenance but how bout just tires - geeezy peazy - have you priced those tires yet? The rear tires are around 400 a piece and they wear out no matter what you do in around 10k+/- depending on how you drive. Youch and that's just a sample of what awaits one if they buy an older 911 as in 996tt.

Why do you think there are so many with low miles on em - they're all scared to drive them for fear something breaks and every mile they put on are accompanied by little dollar bills with wings on em! Yeah they depreciate like a sumbitch....yikes. Don't need that either. But if you have loads of cash - who the hell cares cause you can't take it with you - right!

The only reason this argument means anything at all is to guys and gals that can't afford but one toy and there is no comparison between a maintaining a 996 and an NSX. Now if you don't put a lot of miles on your 996 you may not have an issue, but usually its the 996s that aren't driven much that have the trouble and it's the ones that are driven a lot that depreciate the fastest.... ohhhhh what a conundrum. Damned if you do and damned if you don't as they say. Most of the maladies that Porsche is subject to are brought about by the lack of driving and not only driving but driving hard! Yeah that's right the harder you drive em the better they like it. At least it keeps things from gumming up.

Now on the other hand the NSX is capable of 400k mile service and beyond when well maintained and it doesn't cost an arm and leg to own one that long. Hell ask that question on this site if you want a good discussion - how many have 200k miles and what has been your maintenance experience. The NSX is not only a piece of art, but a fast car by most comparos that any of us Primers would actually find by using the car unless we were wearing out the streets between traffic lights, and it is a car that one of generally average means can afford to maintain for 300k miles and beyond. You can't say that about the 996. Or really any other Porsche but maybe, and I said maybe, the 87-89 Carrera and the SC (78 - 83). Those two models are by all things you read about them the most "bullet proof". The later cars can be run for maybe 130k miiles but watch out after that! That goes for the 996 for sure! They don't make the 911 like they used to back in the pre 89 days - last of the handbuilt cars so to speak.

However, on the flip side all the NSXs were handbuilt - special cars built in mostly one plant. There were two I know. Anyway it was a special car - totally special. And it's a Honda - it's not maintenance free but there aren't a pile of recalls and issues. Really the only issue of any real importance of all the years of the NSX production was the snap ring issue and it really didn't hit all the ones in the range! That's really the only "big" issue. No engine recalls - no catastrophic engine failure issues - no oil leaking or oil usage problems as they age (Porsche actually states in there owners manual 1 quart every 1000 miles is ok/acceptable usag!) - no real expensive top end jobs needed at 125k miles like many of the Porsche models need cause they have a valve guide weakness issue - no on the contrary our NSX engines run like a scalded dog past 400k miles - WOW! I mean we don't even have a normal usage engine rebuild recommendation or warning time line!

Guys what I'm saying here is that the NSX is a total package, well thought out, made of aluminum so it won't rust, suspension aluminum, subframe/monocoque aluminum, great Honda engineering where if you just do your part maintaining it by replacing things like TBs/Wps/Hoses/some sensor/oil and fluids/tires and clutches - the car will run for virtually ever. That's not to say that SCd racing track cars are going to respond like that for 400k track miles before you have to rebuild things like an engine or tranny but thats the exception.

All in all the Honda/Acura NSX is one unbelievable car - it looks timeless, has lots of power (imho), handles great, brakes fine, and is very maintenance free and bullet proof! So what's not to like? What's the issue. Is it a "cool" factor? What am I missing. I would even say a 996 Carrrera is only marginally faster. Great colors to choose from - great interior and the seats - damn the seats are as comfy and race worthy as you can find even today! So what is it? What is really at the heart of this questionaire - is it status - braggin rights - the discussion over - "is it a true exotic"?

You want a pile of speed - go get a Viper or a Vette or a 997tt or 996tt if you dare or if you have tons of cash go out and get that Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, etc, but you should also have the NSX cause you can drive it when the others are in the shop maybe not the vette or viper. And just find a place to romp on it all the time - let me know where you find that ok. All boils down to things like this. Maintenance and funding level and what YOU think is cool. All us Primers think our car is cool - ok. So what do you think we're going to tell you? mmmmm?

End Epistle......

Last edited:
I think I've decided on the NSX.
It seems that posts on both S2ki and here have just reaffirmed the Pros and Cons of each car, and I think the NSX's pros win, at least in my case.

Also, thanks again to Oscar Driver for his pics of his amazing NFR next to the 996 (first pic, first post). This really sealed the deal being able to see them side by side.

Last edited:
Go NSX now. Porsche will always make then 911 and when you are done with the NSX, you can get a Porsche. That was my reason for getting the NSX, my dream car growing up.

Good luck!!

I think I've decided on the NSX.
It seems that posts on both S2ki and here have just reaffirmed the Pros and Cons of each car, and I think the NSX's pros win, at least in my case.

Also, thanks again to Oscar Driver for his pics of his amazing NFR next to the 996 (first pic, first post). This really sealed the deal being able to see them side by side.

I'm surprised that Joe "Pbassjo" hasn't put in a post like - "oh no not again".

Anyway, we've surely discussed the pluses and minuses of Porsche vs NSX and 996tt vs NSX and Viper vs NSX - ohhhh boy.

Point is that both cars are great cars. I wouldn't want a 996 of any variety it has issues with RMS and IMS. I've mentioned that before. Doesn't affect all of them but only about ??% - some say as much as 10%. I don't know - I just believe I'd be one of the 10%.

End Epistle......

Just to correct Tim, yet again, the 996 Turbo - the car that the OP is asking about - does NOT have the RMS or IMS failures. The engine is the same one Porsche used for years in the GT1 program. I really wish Tim would get his facts straight first. I have 100k on my 996TT with no problems. The IMS and RMS problems are well known on the early model Boxsters and 3.4 litre 996 NA cars - not the 3.6 litre turbo's. Unfortunately, Tim is a disgruntled former Porsche owner so take what he says with a grain of salt.

For a daily driver, that you can use in all weather conditions and that can make boatloads of useable power you cannot beat the 996TT in my opinion. So in terms of performance, reliability - yes the 996TT is reliable, and versatility get the 996TT and you won't regret it. As for looks, I was one of the guys who also didn't like the headlights on them but with the GT2 nose I find myself appreciating it more.

If you are looking for a decent summer car that has classic great looks, a nice exhaust note and is relatively rare get the NSX. Just remember that 290 hp in a 3000lb+ car is not going to be a rocketship. You will have your ass handed to you many times over by a lot newer cars. You can go the forced induction route on the NSX to make up the difference and do so fairly reliably but there will be an additional cost to do so.

I love my 996TT and my NSX but for different reasons. I drive the 996TT every day but only take the NSX out for blasts in the summer. I enjoy driving the NSX and the attention it brings but even at 360+ rwhp it still doesn't give the straight line thrill my 500+ RWHP 996TT does. If I was in dire straights and had to keep only one car it would the 996TT because it just does everything so well.

In the end it's up to you. Drive both cars and take the one that suits your needs the most.

Beat me to it! Its true that the 996T does not have RMS issues.

I mean lets be clear... RMS is a *seal*. ANY engine can have a seal go. So often people say "I can show you 10 turbos with a leaking seal". Thats not RMS. RMS is the design flaw where the seal will *always* leak because the opening isnt quite formed right.

To be honest, it isnt a big deal. As with everything the internet has blown it insanely out of proportion. Of course its something to watch for. And it is annoying if you have a car with RMS issues b/c you have to make sure to keep an eye on it. But it isnt some giant grenading engine insanity like it is made out to be. A "RUN!!!!!!!!!!" problem. Porsche sold MOUNTAINS of 996s and the VAST majority are fine.

Also, I dont find the interior of the 996 to be any worse than the NSX. With options, its a *lot* better. My 996 had a ton of interior upgrades that put it up near S class Benz territory, much less NSX (full leather upgrade, aluminum kit, carbon fiber kit, leather headliner, etc) Expensive yes, but if you are buying used, you may find one where these options are "free"

On the other hand, a NA 996 doesnt have "gobs" of power and torque compared to an NSX. Performance wise they are dead even. The 3.2L NSX is a 290HP car. The 3.0L is a 270HP car. The 996s range from like 290 to 320 depending on year, but are a bit heavier.

I found the NA 996 to be pretty much performance neutral vs the NSX, equally comfortable, equally nice in visibility, visually less interesting, and less engaging to drive.

The turbo is a monster of course, but you should factor in that it was a $120,000 car and repair costs are going to hit you hard. My repair costs on the 996 (Im just talking parts/labor for maintenance) were significantly more than the NSX.

I have a CTSC on my 3.2L NSX with headers and exhaust and that set of mods brings the NSX up to where it is very competitive power/weight and pretty much even with a 996TT.

I just listened to some 996 aftermarket exhausts and they sound dull and very 'meh.' It's a nice sound, but I wouldn't think it was coming from a 996TT.

Just to correct Tim, yet again, the 996 Turbo - the car that the OP is asking about - does NOT have the RMS or IMS failures. The engine is the same one Porsche used for years in the GT1 program. I really wish Tim would get his facts straight first. I have 100k on my 996TT with no problems. The IMS and RMS problems are well known on the early model Boxsters and 3.4 litre 996 NA cars - not the 3.6 litre turbo's. Unfortunately, Tim is a disgruntled former Porsche owner so take what he says with a grain of salt.

For a daily driver, that you can use in all weather conditions and that can make boatloads of useable power you cannot beat the 996TT in my opinion. So in terms of performance, reliability - yes the 996TT is reliable, and versatility get the 996TT and you won't regret it. As for looks, I was one of the guys who also didn't like the headlights on them but with the GT2 nose I find myself appreciating it more.

If you are looking for a decent summer car that has classic great looks, a nice exhaust note and is relatively rare get the NSX. Just remember that 290 hp in a 3000lb+ car is not going to be a rocketship. You will have your ass handed to you many times over by a lot newer cars. You can go the forced induction route on the NSX to make up the difference and do so fairly reliably but there will be an additional cost to do so.

I love my 996TT and my NSX but for different reasons. I drive the 996TT every day but only take the NSX out for blasts in the summer. I enjoy driving the NSX and the attention it brings but even at 360+ rwhp it still doesn't give the straight line thrill my 500+ RWHP 996TT does. If I was in dire straights and had to keep only one car it would the 996TT because it just does everything so well.

In the end it's up to you. Drive both cars and take the one that suits your needs the most.

Sorrry, I lumped all the 996s in together, sorry the tt is different - the RMS issue did hit the NA 996 and 997. There is a difference and this quirey was about the tt not the regular 996.

With that said, the 996tt still has the IMS and I wouldn't want to go to thru having to fix it - although there is now a fix for the bearing made by another company and will solve the IMS bearing failure problem, unless it breaks then it's too late - right. That came out in an artical lately in Excellence - maybe you read that - don't know.

If you are staying with the 996tt only as a comparo to the NSX maybe you have something there - they are cool cars - no doubt. Problem is that no one really knows what has gone on with the engine failures due IMS in the different year models of the 996 and 997 cause Porsche won't disclose those numbers.

Personally, if I was comparing the NSX to the 996tt, I'd be doing a lot of research and reading in books about the 911 turbos - not listening to a bunch of second hand info like your getting here.

I'm not a disgruntled Porsche past owner, I liked my 911s - they were great cars and I had some really good ones - I just moved on. Other thing is about the 911 - they are not in the catagory of the NSX - they are in a whole other world - you need a lot of education to buy a good NSX don't you - of course we all agree there don't we? I think so - so why would you think you are going to get all your info about Porsche alternatives here? Not going to happen. Matter of fact if you think there is a lot to learn about the NSX - you haven't seen anything till you really start getting into Porsche. I rest my case. I will say this I'd love to have the new ones with the 9A1 engine - DFI. That seems to be doing very well and guess what - no RMS issues and guess what else it doesn't have an Intermediate Shaft anymore - that's Porsches answer to that problem!

Most are good cars but to blanketly say that the issues of the 996 only affect certain model years is wrong, with the possible exception of the tt, and I'm not convinced of that except for maybe the RMS, but like I say how many 996s and 997s were affected - that number has been tossed around and maybe it's 10% and maybe it's more - don't know Porsche will not let those figures out - they also will not stand behind the models for buyers of used cars. But the issue is that if that IMS bearing goes - the engine goes. So maybe you should stick to the 996tt - it could be just fine - but tell me - are you sure no 996tt has ever suffered an IMS bearing failure? Is that what your saying? I'd have to have someone besides the guys on this list verify that - as in pose that question to Bruce Anderson as a technical question and let an expert answer it and by the way - he will - get a copy of Excellence and write him. Don't take my word for it.

The 996tt and 996 and 997 still continue to be great cars and have a good rating - but they do have RMS (tt excepted) and IMS issues. You pays your quarter and you takes yer chances. Buy a 996 tt and you may never have a problem. If that's what you want go for it. But you want a more maintenance friendly auto - buy an NSX. Or maybe you have the funds to buy both - and that would be pretty cool too.

Good luck with whatever you decide but my advice is do your homework!

Last edited:
I just listened to some 996 aftermarket exhausts and they sound dull and very 'meh.' It's a nice sound, but I wouldn't think it was coming from a 996TT.

Agreed. I think the best sounding 911 is the GT3. The turbo's sound a bit like big vacuum cleaners at speed. There are some OK sounding aftermarket exhausts though.

Back