A Newbie's introduction, and an apology.

Hi everyone,

I didn't see a specific forum dedicated to any such introductions, so this one seemed the most appropriate. I wanted to introduce myself to the community (since this site is somewhat smaller than other sites I have been a part of, like NASIOC)

Let me start off by saying that I'm only entering 1st University this year, so I am indeed a good deal younger than many other forum go-ers. So I apologize if I seem somewhat less mature than some of you guys who could probably be my dad, in terms of age. I have always wanted to buy a somewhat special car, and currently am buying a beater to get myself around with throughout most of university while I save money, and have intended to do this since I was about 15. I've never been into flashy kits, decals or any other generic rice, and have always appreciated cars that were lesser known, and that were special not because they were fast, or expensive, but because they were a balance of unique qualities and had character. This is why I have always held a like for NSX's.

My dad was recently found out that NSX's in good shape were going for the same price as a 350, G35 or STI ( I had always thought them wayyyy out of my league). Knowing that I intended to get an STI (I'm also a scoobie freak) he informed about this, sicne he had always been a fan of NSX's. I began to research, and concluded that an NSX would be infinitely more unique and special than an STI, and also draw me away from the boy racer crowd (I don't want to be involved with street racing etc..in any way).

Interestingly enough I also was quoted a good 1500 CND lower on insurance than a new STI, and found that NSX"s have better fuel ecoomy . After doing further research I was led here, since I had heard this was a great NSX community.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I know I'm alot younger and alot less experienced than most of you, so it's somewhat intimidating being on a forum where people are buying in some cases $100k+ cars, and are obviously alot older. However, I just want to learn and become a part of the community, and hopefully own my own in a couple years. And unlike many late teens/ young adults I promise no asshatery on my part...even though I'm so young. :D

Welcome! :) You'll find that this is a great site with excellent and friendly membership.

From your post, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't fit right in. :)

First, congrats on the proper introduction to our little site. It is what makes the NSX and NSXprime community special.

As unique as the NSX investment is, I would contemplate it from a realist standpoint.

From the plus side, the car will probably not depcriate more than 10% during your ownership, whereas the STI will be triple or quadruple that rate. I bring this up because the cost of owning a 91-94 or so, based on your price range, NSX is going to be significantly more expensive than any new car is. The potential for large repair bills is also much higher. That being said, very few NSX's aren't taken extraordinarily well care of, and most are very reliable for an old sportscar. Taking these issues into account, your overall total cost of ownership probably won't be much different since your insurance company seems NSX friendly.

That doesn't change the fact you will still have issues time to time. Many people upgrade to NSX's when they are young from civics, integras, camrys, etc., and have little experience with a car that can potentially cost a large amount to maintain. As long as you understand this, it won't burden your NSX experience. However, compared to a BMW or MB, it is actually cheaper in my personal cases. Having that "lowly" Acura nameplate for a 75$K+ car does indeed have its benefits.

For the record, I doubt I'm more than a couple years older than you.

One last disclaimer though you seem to understand the hidden value the NSX has, the performance of a sub 97+ NSX compared to an STI may be dissapointing if you don't appreciate the NSX for the right reasons.

Good introduction. Welcome to the forum. Read the FAQ and feel free to ask for advice. :smile:

Welcome.

Ok now go back and do your home work. j/k LOL
(just to show u we are all not serious here.)

Just because we’re older doesn't mean we don’t know how to party. :biggrin:

Have fun here in prime

Once again. Welcome

Oh don’t forget to post some Frat party pix :biggrin:

Welcome! Thanks for the introduction. Don't worry about being young, There are probably some 50 year olds on this forum who are just as young at heart.(Immature?:biggrin: :biggrin: )

SiNzz said:
since this site is somewhat smaller than other sites I have been a part of, like NASIOC

Welcome, you'll find that this site is a lot more mature than NASIOC where if you ask a serious question you might get some pix of naked chicks or an orangutan. Don't expect the world of Prime, there are problems here too but it's a lot better than where you're coming from IMO. :)

Welcome to the forum!! This NSX community is really helpful if you have any questions regarding about the NSX. Always start with the FAQ first and do your research. If you still can't find the answer to your question I know everyone will be more than happy to help you find the anwser your looking for.

Welcome. I'm relatively new here myself and from my experiences so far, this is one of the most classy sites I've ever been to. Everyone here has been respectful and willing to share knowledge and constructive opinions on everything relating to NSX's. Enjoy!

welcome to the forum. Other members have brought up some good points. Number one being that most members are young at heart regardless of age, with a strong appreciation of beautiful cars.

Things to consider when owning an NSX are,

Are you prepared to leave such a unique "flashy" car sitting outside when you go to bed, i.e. can you sleep at night knowing it might be susceptible to vandalism and thieves.

The other cars you listed while nice have become fairly common, while good for parts thieves etc, makes them less likely to stand out amongst the crowd.

Also maintenance is not as cheap as some might get you to think, i.e. like an accord, civic or integra. While the car may run like one a clutch change may cost $2000k versus $600 for an integra, a timing belt/wp change is around $1000 versus $225 for an integra. I am not trying to scare you at all just don't want to see you blindsided by maintenance costs.

If these things are non-issues to you, then good luck in your search. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, people are very friendly and will give you very honest opinions. That said ask your questions after you have done a search otherwise some members may flame you for it.

hth,

Carl

Well, I'm 24 and new here... and I haven't been burned on a stake or lynched yet! :)

This is a great community. Welcome!

I'm 19 now, suffered a minor lynching under another screen name on here when i was 18, but i've since come back and had nothing but a good experience!

Good luck with your purchase! I'm moving in on mine within about a month here so i hope to be a owner (finally) by the end of june.

I was also suprised at how reasonable insurance was, it was 65 bucks more a month for full coverage on a 1994 NSX than on my 2003 mazda protege. I think thats a bargain right there. And your also right about the gas... I was looking at G35's, IS300's, STi's, and they all have sub par mileage. The is300 gets a shocking 17mpg city, and 22 on the highway if your lucky! Wowza!

Let us know how the search goes!

Hey everyone,

First of all thanks for all the encouraging resoponses. I know it's kind of sad, but after lurking a bit, and finally posting, this is the first online car forum where I haven't felt like I was surrounded by by a bunch of immature street racers.

Anyways, I am currently living in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and it's probably the WORST car scene I have ever seen. I've seen one...count em, 1 NSX in my entire life. However, I used to live in Vancouver BC, and will be moving there a couple of months, and they have plenty of gorgeous cars :D.

Most of you probably know that Vancouver is hosting the olympics in 2010, and since real estate is already somewhat ridiculous there, I will be "powered by mom" for university. I figure I would rather suffer the ridicule, than pay outrageous rent prices, or 9k a year to stay on residence, which is only about 35 minutes away. This being said, we are rennovating our house, so this means a brand new garage that should be done in the next year or so. My dad is a bike freak, and drives a motoguzzi v11 sport, so he doesn't really want to worry about his bike either..it would be in the best interests of both of us to have a garage :D.

In regards to the NSX being a bit slower than some of the other cars mentioned, I don't really think that's much of a problem. I find most people buy cars so they can say "i've got 500bhp under the hood" but truthfully, most (inncluding me) baby their cars and don't track them; they don't NEED that much horsepower. I don't believe in street racing etc, so ripping it up in the middle fo a city street won't happen either. That being said, I don't really see the need to dish out the cash to buy something like an STI (which for the 08 redesign seems like it'll b bushing well over 50k canadian ..eek).

In terms of maintenance, I realize that it would be more than an integra/civic/ crx...and I would expect it to be. But (correct me if I'm wrong, because I honestly don't know) I would expect it to be comparable to a similarly priced car such as a Z or STI, used M3 etc. My family has owned hondas and toyotas since before I was born, and I have quite a bit of trust in them. I also figure that due to the *relatively* small nature of a 3 or 3.2 l V6, as oppose to a v10 or 12 like in a ferrari, that costs and reliability would be much better wth the NSX.

The only thing that conerns me a bit, as far as daily driving is concerned is the lack of power steering. I know the 95+ cars have E-power steering, but I would have to get a 96 since I do NOT want a targa (vancouver rains A LOT, and I don't want to have to worry about leakage, sqweeks etc...plus I don't want a targa anyawys :P). However, I would much rather buy an non PS car that was in better shape/lower mileage than a newer one with higher mileage and worse condition. I would also hope that since there is alot less weight on the front, that it wouldn't be too hard to get used to. I'm not a big guy...then again the japanese developed the cars for their own market without PS, and if similarly sized japanese people can drive it no problem, I would hope I would be able to too as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice. I think when planning to buy a car that it's important to look at the community of owners as well..(eg why I would never get an SRT-4). It's nice to see that the NSX community is full of real people who aren't all e-thuggin etc :cool:

Thunder Bay! You are living in the armpit of the country, Man!:biggrin: I used to go through Thunder Bay to work in Geraldton, now that has to be the A#$hole of the country!:biggrin: So how's the weather up there? Still got 6 feet of snow yet? Eh!? I'm actually comtemplating on visiting old friend up there this summer. And I'm actually thinking of relocating to vancouver next year too!
The Canadian prices for NSX seems a lot higher than in the US, and if you import a 15+ year old car, there is no duty. Just a thought to keep in mind...

docmental said:
Thunder Bay! You are living in the armpit of the country, Man!:biggrin: I used to go through Thunder Bay to work in Geraldton, now that has to be the A#$hole of the country!:biggrin: So how's the weather up there? Still got 6 feet of snow yet? Eh!? I'm actually comtemplating on visiting old friend up there this summer. And I'm actually thinking of relocating to vancouver next year too!
The Canadian prices for NSX seems a lot higher than in the US, and if you import a 15+ year old car, there is no duty. Just a thought to keep in mind...

Haha, yes Thunder Bay is most definitely the arm pit of Canada. My dad moved here when I was in 7th grade to work for the gov, and he is now back in Vancouver, waiting for myself and my mother. I'm going to Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, so I'm getting out of here along with the rest of my family fairly soon. After coming from the West Coast, the weather has definitely been too cold for me. It's still pretty cold here...get's to -5 to 10 during the nights, and has peaked at arouned 13 celsius the last few days only :P. But I've made lots of good friends, so I can't complain.

As to the Canadian prices, they do seem inflated. I was observing the same thing with STI's, since they have been going for around 40k CA, brand new. Importing has crossed my mind a few times, but the hassles involved seem a bit much, especially since I fear hurting resale value with US car, and I've heard horror stories regarding servicing a "US car" etc... I also plan to get one a bit newer than 15 years old. I know they're almost the same until the 97 facelift, but I would just feel psychologically happier if I didn't get the absolute oldest one I could find. I would love to get a 97+, but I know the depreciation of them isn't very high. My reasoning was that a 94 goes for around 45-50k CA now, so therefore a 96 or 97 would be around the same in a couple of years, sicne a 96 would be 12 years old by then. However, that probably isn't accurate, especially since the 97's will be priced at a larger premium over a 96...and probably won't fall into that range.

I wouldn't be concerned about the older ones, most of them have been babied. You can get used to the non-power steering. I will never go back to power steering.

You might want to talk to meeyatch about winterizing. He seems to be the foremost expert on snow driving.

Based on the snow factor though, I would think the STi would be more practical.

SiNzz said:
The only thing that conerns me a bit, as far as daily driving is concerned is the lack of power steering.

I wouldn't worry too much due to the lack of power steering. I've never driven a a car without power steering before the NSX I just purchased and I've realized that as long you don't parallel park too often, it doesn't affect you in anyway. The steering is smooth and very responsive once you get the car going. Plus, think about the bright side, repairing a rack-and-pinion can get pretty pricey.

Good luck on your search, and btw, you're correct about this forum - lots of classy members. :smile:

Mirroredshades said:
I wouldn't be concerned about the older ones, most of them have been babied. You can get used to the non-power steering. I will never go back to power steering.

You might want to talk to meeyatch about winterizing. He seems to be the foremost expert on snow driving.

Based on the snow factor though, I would think the STi would be more practical.

Nor would I, but the upside is, winteriznig won't be a problem in BC, we just get rain. The odd days we get a cm or two or snow, or a bit of ice, a bus is no problem. As far as parallel parking goes, hopeuflly I don't have to do that too often, but parallel parking is a must when living in a city. I'm sure I could get used to it, however. If the timing and prices are right, maybe I'll be able to shoot for a 95+.

Jai015 said:
I wouldn't worry too much due to the lack of power steering. I've never driven a a car without power steering before the NSX I just purchased and I've realized that as long you don't parallel park too often, it doesn't affect you in anyway. The steering is smooth and very responsive once you get the car going. Plus, think about the bright side, repairing a rack-and-pinion can get pretty pricey.

Good luck on your search, and btw, you're correct about this forum - lots of classy members. :smile:

Gee, Thanks!:biggrin:

94' with non power steering, no problem, a lot better feel for the road, esp. at high speed:tongue:

Back