A little advice please

I have looked at 2 91 NSXs and plan to purchase one.

One has pristine paint and interior, but it makes a ticking sound at idle. It kind of sounds like a valve. However, the car runs very strong and there is no smoke. It is all stock except for a SOS coolant tank. I plan to have it looked at by a mechanic. The car has 91k miles and does not have the origional transmission. I assume that it was changed after a snap ring failure, but it was done before the current owner purchased the car. It had a 90k service done about a year and a half ago. The owner is asking for 27k.

The other car has 72k miles and has a few scratches in paint and the interior while in fairly good condition needs a good cleaning. It is not in the snap ring range and had the 60k service done. It is stock except for an aftermarket Alpine stereo system. The owner is asking for 30k.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate in DC

I would lean toward the car with the lower mileage and original transmission. However the choice is personal, colors and overall care by the prior owner out weight most everything else (also service records). Good luck and enjoy.

The other two potentially expensive things are the clutch and the air conditioning so check those as well. The other thing is the timing belt which really doesn't need to be done until the 90K mark based on miles but I think most people on the forum would suggest that if the lower mileage one hasn't had it replaced by now, it probably should be done based on age and it's not a trivial expense. The 90K one should have had it done as part of the 90K service.

Another consideration is how long do you think you'll keep it. If you change cars often and the NSX is just another short term fling, then the lower mileage one will probably keep it's value over the next 10K miles better than the 90K one. It seems once you approach the 100K mark, the resale price drops off more presumably because people don't want to take a chance on a high mile exotic. Many people on this forum will tell you that high mileage on an NSX isn't an issue if you have good service records and the recommended services have been done. I bought my '91 at 90K and now have 112K on it 2 year later and haven't spent $200 on it besides regular service.

Good luck

I strongly suggest the purchase of the latter car, IF YOU MUST BUY EITHER OF THE TWO!! :o

Potential engine trouble is THE problem that you must avoid at all costs. (IMO) The A/C and Clutch are costly, but engine work can run into big money, over $10K! :(

Personally, I would wait for a better choice. It sounds like you don't really DESIRE either of these two cars in particular, but just the best buy. And you want it now! :D

GOOD LUCK!!

As for the ticking sound both cars should make the same identical sound as this is normal for that year nsx.....if both cars had there service up to date i would opt for the one with the better paint and interior because the milage for me is not an issue....this is of coarse if there are no signs that it has been painted.

Keep looking

The asking prices on the two cars looks high. I just picked up a 1992 red/black last week with 36K miles, 2nd owner, all service records, for less than $30K - from a seller who was only 1 hr drive from my house. It took some time to find this right car for me, but I did find it. You should keep looking to find the car that is going to be right for you. Don't rush into the purchase, unless you feel you have to have one of these cars and can get the price down by another $2-3K (at least).

With older cars, condition is more important than slight differences in mileage. The first car is in better condition, has been better cared for and is less expensive, the second car is in mediocre condition, is not well cared for (has not had maintenance done on time, assuming the timing belt has not been done) and is more expensive. As long as the mechanic (one who is experienced on the NSX, I hope) says the noise is not a problem, the first one is the better buy.

Ticking sound

I forgot to add that the one with the 91k miles has had the timing belt replaced at the 90k service and also had a new clutch installed last year.

I really did not notice the valve-like sound on the first car that I looked at.

Does anyone else hear that? It may just be normal engine noise for the NSX. My daily driver is a Lexus SC400 and that car is very quiet when it is running, so I may just be used to that.

Thanks,

Nate

Ticking sound is quite normal on any Nsx. Just get an after market exaust and you wont notice it as much.

Back