A lesson learned.

This happen to me in my Prelude, however I thought it might be a good read for you all on prime.

Last night I am on I-10 in AL coming into Mobile. It was around 10:00 and I was trying to get home. I still had about an hour drive to go. I have not been home in 30 days and really wanted to get home and visit with the wife and little one. As I over take this bus something exploded across my hood and windshield. I did not see who threw it or where it came from. I slammed on brakes while checking out the bus, hoping it would not say Church Bus somewhere a thousand miles away. It said Mobil county school district. So I dropped in behind the bus on got on the phone to the highway patrol.

The students are pointing and laughing at me while I follow them. Little did they know I had nothing better to do that night (well ok maybe I did but it could wait). We exit I10 and start heading north on I65 (cant really go south on I65 from Mobil). At this point the students in the rear of bus start to make gestures and even moon me. OK the mooning would have been funny if that was the only incident. Well the whole time I am following the bus I am keeping the Highway patrol updated on our location.

When we pull into the school parking lot I see the students on the rear of the bus start grabbing their bags getting ready to make a quick exit. Not really wanting a confrontation with the students, I pull up the drivers side. I was in luck when I saw the driver was in a military uniform. I pulled out my military ID and slapped it on the drivers window and motion for him to come out side the bus. Once the driver and coach was outside the bus I introduced myself and explained what happen.

Fast forward some - Coach told me to call the school, talked with an Alabama state trooper and local law enforcement. Ultimately I will need to file a complaint in with Mobil County.

I called the school today and talked with head principal. He informed me that the individual(s) have been suspended from the team and that the parents are willing to pay for any damages I have sustained.

I explained to the principal, as I did the coach and law enforcement, that I am not against students doing stupid stunts (thats just part of high school) however there is a line that should not be cross. I also express concern that the students need to learn that that actions have consequences and they should be held accountable.

Vickie notes - student threw a soft drink on my car, followed bus, talked with coach, bus driver, cops and school principal. Students suspended from the team for the rest of the season.

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, I'm always wary of driving too close to a school bus.

The students have no respect and that can only be solved by a good beat down. But in our politically correct society that can never happen.

I talked with the principal on friday. The student(s) have been suspended from the team (the bus was returning from a game) for the rest of the year. The principal aslo mentioned that the parents of the indiviudal(s) would be willing to pay for any damages.

Its not my goal to screw anyone over, I just wanted them to learn a lesson and be responsible.

Besides if you are going to do something stupid be smart about it.

One day its a soft drink, the next a rock from an overpass....

You definatly did the right thing...who knows, one day they could have thrown a soft drink on someones car who might have had an extremely bad day and snapped, leading to who knows what....

Almost the same thing happen to me not long ago with my NSX. A student enticed me to go faster by tail gating very closed to me. I slowed down so he could passed me. Suddenly he brake his car and I had to brake hard and then he sped off. I followed him to his school which actually is where I work as one of the lecturer. At the parking lot I scolded him in front of his classmates. I filed a complain to our school about his action. He will graduate with bad record.

No crime go un-punished.

Back