• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A good place for preventative snap ring work?

I'm looking for a place in the bay area that has experience doing preventative maintenance work in regards to the snap ring failure.

Preventive in this case is pretty much the same treatment as if it had already failed - there's nothing you can do to prevent it failing if it has the problematic machining - the transmission case would need to be replaced as the only preventive measure (same amount of work & cost in labour & parts as if it had already broken - just peace of mind that it will not have broken pieces of snap-ring bouncing around in your transmission that could potentially cause other damage)
Remember however that not all transmissions "in the range" necessarily are sure to have the problem. To better understand the issue, check the section in the FAQ here
If there are no current indicators of symptoms, you have a choice as to whether to wait it out or replace the parts, while recognizing there is a good chance it might never exhibit the problem. Of course you could have it dis-assembled to see if the snap-ring groove was machined correctly, but that is an expensive proposition in itself.

from the FAQ

What should I do if my car is in the range?

Obviously if your transmission falls within the range then you must make the decision if you want the transmission opened up. If you have many miles including some hard shifting then your transmission case may be cut properly and may never have the problem. If you have a low-mile garage queen and don't drive it hard you simply don't know. There is no right answer - it is really an individual decision. Some owners decide they do not want to have it break on them while they are out driving their car and simply pay to replace the case before anything fails. Most of the rest decide to just drive it and wait to replace the case when they are having other transmission or clutch work done so they save on the labor.

Yeah I read the FAQ. I'm looking to get the work done anyhow. I don't want to wait until it breaks (or not). Do you know of any mechanic in the bay area that's familiar with NSX transmissions enough to open up one and see if it needs repair and if so, can repair it?

Sorry - your use of the word preventive led me to think you thought there was a maintenance procedure that could prevent a failure.
Any of the better Acura dealers with an NSX certified mechanic should be capable. Los Gatos gets a a good rep I hear.
Gerry Johnson in Modesto would be my choice but I know he is usually pretty swamped - worth checking wih him if you would consider taking your car that far out.
Or if you're an NSXCA member, take it to Niello in Sacramento & get 30% off the parts & 10% off the labour - worth the $40 NSXCA membership fee for that alone with the potential savings on a high ticket job like that! I hear Bruce Pettit is back there & fromwhat I hear you'd be guaranteed a great job with him responsible.

Hmm any closer to the SF Bay Area? Preferably SF, Peninsula, East Bay, or South Bay?

Sacramento is waaaay to far. I've heard Don(?) at Hilltop was good or Jim Russell in Redwood City were recommended, but I don't know if they have experience repairing transmissions.

Back