A few questions about reliability

well I keep hearing bad things about the reliability of this car. It doesnt make sense to me seeing that its an acura. are there alot of problems? or is this just a load of bs?

fleishelja said:
well I keep hearing bad things about the reliability of this car. It doesnt make sense to me seeing that its an acura. are there alot of problems? or is this just a load of bs?

Just load of bs. NSX was rated best in reliability above Lexus LS400 in 1996 by JD Powers association. That is probably the only "super" car you can buy new with optional 100k miles warrante.

fleishelja said:
well I keep hearing bad things about the reliability of this car.

Sources? Or is it the same source over again?

The NSX is not Italian y'know...

This is the FIRST time I'm hearing this and my ears prick up anytime I hear anything NSX related....

Reliability issues with the NSX ????? :confused:

That would be the first time in years that I have EVER heard anything like that about the NSX. I'm from accross the Atlantic and I suspect that many a NSX driver overhere drives their car at higher speeds than is customary in the US and still I have never heard anyone complain about the reliability of their car. In fact, where I to drive right now to the south of Spain or Italy, the NSX would be the car I'd choose.

I bought mine due to its reliability as an exotic and I would never hesitate to drive it down the block or across the country........Steve

I had an '85 Ferrari 308 before getting my '92 NSX. There is no comparison re: reliablity. I had to give the 308 constant attention and had to have it towed 3 times in 3 years of ownership. With the NSX, aside from scheduled maintenance and a few very minor issues, I just turn the key and drive.

With any older car, some things are just wear and need to be attended to. In my case,things like the climate control board ($160), a broken cassette player, a malfunctioing wheel sensor ($100), a leaky coolant tank ($90), and a gauge replacement ($65) were needed.

I did run into one big ticket item on the NSX which was the repair of a faulty counter balance snap ring in the tranny ( typical of '91 and '92 models only). However, I knew that it was within the faulty range when I bought the car but it was therefore anticipated and I was able to negotiate the price down for the cost of repair.

Overall, as far as serious mechanical and electrical problems, you'll not find a more reliable exotic than the NSX.

Last edited:
fleishelja said:

First post, just joined, and sooooo very non-specific about what "problems" he's "heard" about and where he's "heard" these things.

Perhaps just a troublemaker trying to stir the pot ??? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

fleishelja said:
well I keep hearing bad things about the reliability of this car.
I've always heard the exact opposite; although, I have heard several muscle car owners say that all imports are crap. :smile:

I've consumed a lot of NSX related media... a lot! One common thread throughout is the high reliability praise for the car. I can't imagine where you would have heard otherwise, except maybe from an uninformed friend.

AU_NSX said:
Sources? Or is it the same source over again?

The NSX is not Italian y'know...

This is the FIRST time I'm hearing this and my ears prick up anytime I hear anything NSX related....

yes this is the first for me as well.. weird..

you sure you just don't have doubts??

There are a lot of high mileage NSXs around here. I know one person has passed 300,000 miles with the original engine.

The NSX is just, if not more, reliable then any other honda.
What problems you do see people posting about, note the age of the car. There are TONS of 16 year old NSXs still being daily driven. And even with those cars, problems are rare. I doubt you'll find a 2005 NSX thats had any problems at all.

NSX-GUY said:
First post, just joined, and sooooo very non-specific about what "problems" he's "heard" about and where he's "heard" these things.

Perhaps just a troublemaker trying to stir the pot ??? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think NSX-Guy has hit the nail on the head!! The original post is a load of BS.

So does this mean that I have fed a Troll????? I feel so violated.......:mad:

He's probably just a bitter Ferrari or Lotus owner.....:wink:

Wow, how the heck did you ever find that? anyway ya thats me :) I'm just on the lookout for anything related to reliability. obviously after owning an audi im sure some can agree that reliability is a big thing. hence the tiburon. The tib is a great daily driver but not the weekend warrior I was hoping to achieve. hence why im here. Ive always admired NSXs and now that the price has come down enough to where I can afford one I figured I would investigate. im sure that my sources are biased (350Z owner and acura tech) and a few other friends in the same business. but I just wanted to hear from the owners of the car what the REAL deal is. thanks for the help though everyone. I was honestly thinking that this crowd would be similar to the Audi bunch. a lot of stuck up snobs but everyone here seems to be pretty down to earth. thanks!

James, you must never forget that whatever you post on the net can always be traced, hence the reason how djdrock found out who you are. Regardless, welcome aboard and maybe you can use some of your Automotive Technology w/ TPAT skills to learn about the reliability of the NSX. In the almost seven years that I've mine, I've only had to perform routine service.

:smile:

fleishelja said:
Wow, how the heck did you ever find that? anyway ya thats me :)

I work for the CIA. :biggrin:

Seriously, we are a pretty nice bunch of people here. The NSX is not without its need for repairs, as no car is immuned to wear-and-tear. Feel free to read, read, read, then post questions specific to the pros and cons of NSX ownership. The forum, and FAQ, is packed full of information.

ya, my toyota lexus training hasnt even started yet. october 9 though. I'm looking at the nsx as a graduation present to myself. I should be done with school december 8th... anyone have a lexus that needs work? lol

Back