A car to go along with a NSX... a Mini?

I realize this might be slightly off-topic, but this is not your typical unrelated to your NSX 2nd car question.

I'm asking about 2nd cars that kind of go along with your NSX...

For example, I know a number of NSX owners have either a S2000 or an Integra/RSX - and bought those cars because of the obvious Honda connection to your NSX.

I'm bringing this up because I'm seriously thinking of picking up another car. I'm looking for something small, sporty, inexpensive and fun to drive on a daily basis. I've looked at the RSX and it's very nice. I really like Hondas, so I'm also considering the new Civic Si as well.

But...

I have to admit what's caught my eye lately is the upcoming Mini Cooper S. It going to list for less than $20K and you can also get them in red with a black roof. Might be kind of cool to have it match the colors of my NSX...

Weird huh?
http://www.miniusa.com/

-Jim

PS: At least it's already "Supercharged for World Peace."
wink.gif

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 28 January 2002).]

I like to have the Honda connection. Ive been through many cars, and I think that nothing can beat a Honda in terms of reliability. I currently have a 1992 Honda Prelude Si, and now that Im getting an NSX, got 2 Hondas, the Prelude now my beater car, and the NSX my personal toy.

I Currently hv a 96 NSX.
My 2nd car := 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo. Selling that soon. Thinking of getting my 2nd car replacement = "2002 Honda CRV" or Toyota RAV4! Can go to the place that my NSX can't go, especially offroad!!

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
The new Hyundai Tiburon. 6 cyl., 6 spd, dual exhaust........20k.
smile.gif
Rear quarters ala Ferrari Modena, side ala Ferrari 456M.... hmmmmm

I can't help but think of the 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons every time I see that car. I think it's great that Hyundai is stressing their brand reliability with that 10-year warranty but they seriously need to get a new design team together. I think they improved a little bit with the new XG350 but still got a long way to go.

I know this may sound crazy but how about a Jeep Wrangler? My girl can't stop talking about hers. And I have to admit, sitting next to her with the canvas off during summer is a blast. Definitely up there in the fun factor. And you can still do the Red/Black roof match-up =)

Call me wierd, but I'd have to go with a Honda Insight. The 57mpg(city) is very alluring. That means I can go from Seattle to LA in 2 1/2 tank of gas for less than $30 for the cost in gas.

Now, I just have to get over the bland design of the Insight...
ZZZsleep.gif

the upcoming Mini Cooper S

Sounds like another "chick's car", like the New Beetle. Does this one come with a bud vase, too?
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by skim83:
I have to admit, sitting next to her with the canvas off during summer is a blast. =)
sitting next to your gal with ANY top off is plenty fun indeed
biggrin.gif

I still like Kenric's garage (Ag NSX) -- three-of-a-kind

Originally posted by skim83:
I can't help but think of the 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons every time I see that car. I think it's great that Hyundai is stressing their brand reliability with that 10-year warranty but they seriously need to get a new design team together. I think they improved a little bit with the new XG350 but still got a long way to go.
B]

i don't think you've seen the 2003 tiburon yet... else you wouldnt be saying that.

Look no further ...
http://dodge.com/autoshow/news_events/

2003 Dodge SRT-4 accelerates from 0-60 mph in 5.9-seconds making it the quickest car in the Dodge lineup, second only to the Dodge Viper SRT-10. As the quickest production car available in the United States priced under $20,000 it features a 2.4-liter DOHC turbo-boosted 205 horsepower in-line four-cylinder engine that delivers 220 lb.-ft. of torque peak from 2000 to 4800 rpm. Like autocross devotees, SRT-4 owners also will enjoy the car's agile handling capability made possible by 17-inch aluminum performance wheels.

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 28 January 2002).]

I like your idea about the Mini Cooper S - in fact, I'm 1st on my dealer's list here in Nashville for the S. Put my deposit on the car a little over a year ago, and am really looking forward to driving the car.

I hear the car runs through the slalom at nearly 68 mph, which is faster than most, if not all, Ferraris and Porsches, so the car should be fun.

But...

I have to admit what's caught my eye lately is the upcoming Mini Cooper S. It going to list for less than $20K and you can also get them in red with a black roof. Might be kind of cool to have it match the colors of my NSX...

Weird huh?

Well, I once owned the replacement of the Mini Cooper S, the Morris 1275 GT (made in 1972), and I had a blast with that car, added wider wheels/tires, smaller steering wheel, and redline shifts every shift ...... those Solex carb were a pain though unless you went with Weber ..... and some nice memories ...... not to mention that everyone in the family wanted to drive it when the gas prices hit the roof ........ but then I was much younger and comfort features were less important than driving fun on street roads .....

So, if you still have some naustalgia, can fit in it without getting claustrophobic, go for it ..... and Comptech was already working on one last Summer .....
smile.gif

My second car is a '98 Land Cruiser - next to the NSX one of the finest cars I have ever driven. Wouldn't have it any other way.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I think quite a few of us on the forum are NSX owners who also have a Mazda miata in the garage.

The Miata is truly fun to drive around on days when you want to take the top down, plus, they're fairly reliable and great fun on the tracks. Plus... parts are relatively inexpensive.
smile.gif

You know, I liked my Ford Ranger 4x4 so much that I've decided to sell the NSX and go with the Ranger only.
Who needs an NSX when you have a Ranger?

But in all seriousness..my NSX and its mods are for sale..private me if your interested.

Originally posted by sanchin:
The Miata is truly fun to drive around on days when you want to take the top down, plus, they're fairly reliable and great fun on the tracks. Plus... parts are relatively inexpensive.
smile.gif

Agreed... the Miata is a LOT of fun, even with the top up. Bonus is that it turns on a dime, and is easy to park.

Jim,

I think the Mini Cooper S is a great idea. If it is half the old ones, it will be a hoot, just like the miata in the '90's. I know that there is only one dealer here in NC that will be carrying it, Flow BMW. All the Fiat people say Enzo had one to drive when he really wanted to have a blast!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

I have a 93 NSX, a bare bones 2001 NISSAN truck for my daily driver, and to really have fun, a 2000 SUZUKI HAYABUSA. Its not made by HONDA, and it aint got a/c, but it sure is fun!

A few thoughts....

I have to admit that new Tiburon looks A LOT better than the old one. Looks like Hyundai found a good designer for a change.

I'm not sure the Mini Cooper S will be seen as a "chick's car". Although it does have a certain cuteness factor about it.

I'll need something with 4 seats so that leaves out the S2000, Miata or the Insight. Other than the Mini, my 2nd choice would be the new Civic Si.

I like the performance specs and the initial write-ups on the S model. It's quite fast (for what it is) and handles real nicely according to the reviewers.

I also like the racing history of the original Mini as well. True, this new Mini isn't like the old one, but a lot of my friends who followed racing in the 60's-70's have soft spot in their hearts for the Mini.

I also thought the red body-black roof "matching NSX colors" would be kind of neat.

Hey, and I wouldn't mind giving a few chicks some rides either.

(with Mrs. Jimbo's approval of course).

wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 28 January 2002).]

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
I would get a '96 M3 if I had $20k...
They may still cost more than $20k though.
I've gota 95 m3 with only 31 k miles on it for sale! $24,900
You could always paint it red with a black roof!!
Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
95 M3 (For Sale with only 31k miles!!)
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG (It's heeeerrreee)

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 28 January 2002).]

My sister will receive a Cooper (not S
frown.gif
) next week, red and black as my old nsx!
biggrin.gif

I drove it some week ago at the dealership and I have to admit that the simple Cooper is already quite fun...
I would maybe go for a miata (top off is alway nice in sommer!) a Prelude or an MR2. If you need more load space and more seats, maybe for a 1995-96 Audi A4 Avant, here can be found for 6k-9k$ range!
smile.gif

Back