A/C freakishness

The Air Conditioning system in my 1991 NSX was updated last year and has worked fine ... until this past weekend.

The freakish part is that the air still blows cold coming out of the passenger side vent in the center console while the air from the driver's side vent blows warm. Yes, I am referring to the 2 vents next to each other above the radio. I am stunned that they don't have the same temperature air coming out of both as I always assumed it would come from the same source. Ha!

Has anyone had this experience? Suggestions please.

Thanx!

The Air Conditioning system in my 1991 NSX was updated last year and has worked fine ... until this past weekend.

The freakish part is that the air still blows cold coming out of the passenger side vent in the center console while the air from the driver's side vent blows warm. Yes, I am referring to the 2 vents next to each other above the radio. I am stunned that they don't have the same temperature air coming out of both as I always assumed it would come from the same source. Ha!

Thanx!

I am not sure why you are having this problem because both vents DO come from the same source...

http://nsxe-repair.com/CCUremoval.html

look at the pics in that link and you will see that both vents come from the same ducting...

common issue when you are low on refrigerant

(yes, we know the air comes from the same box, but the center vent path is offset quite a bit toward the driver...I'm guessing that makes all the needed difference).

Last edited:
common issue when you are low on refrigerant

(yes, we know the air comes from the same box, but the vent path is offset quite a bit toward the driver...I'm guessing that makes all the needed difference).

if he was talking about the drivers DOOR vs the passenger DOOR then I would buy that...

but with the air having to travel an extra what, inch?... i highly doubt the difference would be COLD to WARM...

experienced a different type of hot/kool with temp. in the centre vents, pass. side and the vents along the pass. door blowing warm while driver's side ok.
upon inspection detected slow leak on the hi/lo return pressure hose that ran underneath.. instal new ones, top up and running OK. mine is a '91 with compressor, evaporator, drier replaced a few years back.

Im going to have to say its a Flapper problem. Directing the cold air that isnt opening all the way.

Ask BrianK

Thanx!
He KNOWS!

if he was talking about the drivers DOOR vs the passenger DOOR then I would buy that...

There is no question the car is low on Freon. This is a classic symptom for the CENTER vents to blow one side cold, and one side warm.

Regards,
LarryB

but with the air having to travel an extra what, inch?... i highly doubt the difference would be COLD to WARM...

Call me wacked, but that is what is happening...

Thanx for the responses. I will have the refrig recharged and report on the results.

Call me wacked, but that is what is happening...

Thanx for the responses. I will have the refrig recharged and report on the results.

never said you were wacked; just didn't make much sense unless there is some new thermodynamic law I don't know about that states colder air always turns left :confused:

its like having a water hose with a y adapter on it and saying the water on the left side is colder than the water on the right when it is the same water from the same hose that was the same temperature before reaching the adapter and traveling the same distance to come out into the same temperature air.

with everybody saying that the freon is low I suppose i will just have to accept it as some weird bizarre happening because it sure doesn't make much sense.

never said you were wacked; just didn't make much sense unless there is some new thermodynamic law I don't know about that states colder air always turns left :confused:

its like having a water hose with a y adapter on it and saying the water on the left side is colder than the water on the right when it is the same water from the same hose that was the same temperature before reaching the adapter and traveling the same distance to come out into the same temperature air.

with everybody saying that the freon is low I suppose i will just have to accept it as some weird bizarre happening because it sure doesn't make much sense.

Here's the difference between the two vents, courtesy of another member's post earlier here:

"(yes, we know the air comes from the same box, but the center vent path is offset quite a bit toward the driver...I'm guessing that makes all the needed difference)."

Wow, same thing happened to me this morning. I just had it switched from R12 to R134 this past weekend. It's going back to have this fixed today. I'll verify the fix.

If this is the case I would have thought they would have filled it with refridgerent after the fix!

It is freaky when the passenger side was only blowing cold air. I had to do the gansta lean on the way to work today to stay cool in the 90+deg heat. :cool:

How did the fix go? I'm having the same problem...AFTER I brought it Kearny Msea Acura for a/c service. I've emailed my service rep, and hope that they don't try to charge me again...

I agree...but, I didn't have one before I took it in...I was just doing my annual list of maint. items...hopefully they'll rectify it.

How did the fix go? I'm having the same problem...AFTER I brought it Kearny Msea Acura for a/c service. I've emailed my service rep, and hope that they don't try to charge me again...

They did a evac and recharge again. No leaks, but the problem still exists and they noticed it too. They think it's an air mix issue, as in one of the flaps or dampers is not functioning properly...I didn't want to pay for the labor to have them research further.

How often does the problem come up?

I say, throw a set of gauges on there to see what pressure you're running with the compressor on when it's working ok. Then throw the gauges back on when it's acting up again.

Too bad it couldn't be done sooner so you're constantly paying to fix that recurring problem. I would of liked to have had them evac then weigh what was in teh system when you had the problem the 1st time. Then do it again when it acted up the 2nd time. Just see how much is actually in there.

That symptom alone of the freakish vent temp difference says low on charge.....

My A/C is blowing cold air when the car is on the move (accelerating) but no more cold air when the car is idle. Is it that the compressor is gone?

thanks

Ben

They did a evac and recharge again. No leaks, but the problem still exists and they noticed it too. They think it's an air mix issue, as in one of the flaps or dampers is not functioning properly...I didn't want to pay for the labor to have them research further.

Run the test procedure, min temp for 1 min and max temp for 1 min then press the auto and off at the same time and tell us what comes up on the display.

Back