A/C Evaporator & Fungus

I've been working on another customers NSX, and would like you guys to see this and with Andrews [the owners] permission, I have attached the pics below.

To make a long story short, the complete AC system was not functioning on the car, compressor is shot, CCU was fried and Andrew had told me about a bad smell coming from it on his journey home after he purchased it.

So while I was working on other items I sent the CCU to Kaz for repair and as always it was returned in tip top condition.

So as a quick test I installed the CCU and immediately I could smell what Andrew was talking about, which was pretty bad to say the least. On removing the blower I was pretty shocked to see this!!

SAM_1844.jpg

SAM_1845.jpg

From what I can gather its a fungus that has grown on the evaporator and although you can only see a bit of the evaporator, it has grown on 95% of it. Its also welded on pretty tight and with the fins being so delicate I'm kinda stumped on best method to clean this as obviously to much water and chemical means it will run inside the car. Now I'm not bothered about the carpet getting wet as that will be removed and I can mask off and remove most of the electrics that are near by, but just unsure if air and chemicals will remove this.

Any thoughts?

From what I can gather its a fungus that has grown on the evaporator and although you can only see a bit of the evaporator, it has grown on 95% of it. Its also welded on pretty tight and with the fins being so delicate I'm kinda stumped on best method to clean this as obviously to much water and chemical means it will run inside the car. Now I'm not bothered about the carpet getting wet as that will be removed and I can mask off and remove most of the electrics that are near by, but just unsure if air and chemicals will remove this.

Any thoughts?

I am guessing bleach may work.. but just an idea.

I've cleaned a few evaporators on the NSX's but havent see anything this bad. I'm not sure bleach would work as I use AC cleaning chemicals and other disinfecting solutions on other evaporators that were slightly dirty, but the fungus on this has spread deeper into the evaporator fins and up the sides and is really glued on tight and those fins are so delicate that even trying to use a soft brush can damage them.

Is this a case of a new one needs to installed?

the only means of killing mushrooms it's bleach, one needs 1l bleach for 3l very hot water, to pulverize the mixture on mushrooms and to await 10 has 15 minutes, then, it is necessary to brush mushrooms with a brush has hard hairs or a sponge and to rinse with water under pressure

Last edited:
the only thing I could say would be buy another Used one and be done,

but, the only other option is completely remove the Fungus infected Evaporator and soak the whole thing in something like pure bleach, harsh chemicals, then you would be sure that ALL of it has been killed, as if you do it in place you could kill 90% of it but once it all dried out and was nice and humid again and dark it would spreed again, and look the same after a few months.

another thing is you would also have to clean any parts related to the Evaporator like the Housing, wires refrid. Tubes Etc.

I wonder if one of those small portable steam cleaners would work on that?

Hit it with some Lysol afterward for good measure. If the smell comes back, plan on replacing it or completely removing/bleaching it.

Back