98 Yellow NSX supercharged

There is a 98 Yellow NSX for sale in Austin, Texas with a comptec supercharger installed in it. It has 10.7k miles on it and the dealership said that they will sell it to me for $54,500. Does anybody know if there is anything wrong with the car? The sales person said that the car is being cold on consignment.

Seen this ride, so to speak...

I recall seeing this car at the local Acura dealer from spring 2002 to fall 2002. The service manager was the one who personally was involved w/ it's mod's/upgrades (Comptech etc) & stated that it's "beyond comparable / once you drive this, the stock NSX is nothing." If you want the str8 facts, call DavidMcDavid Acura service dept' and inquire further. Yes, it was on consignment then too. Hope this helps. :)

Just so happens I have a copy of the service records for the car.

The comptech goodies were added at 316 miles on 10/29/98.
In for a few clutch problems and fouled plugs a few times...

Have Ian fax you a copy, his number is 512-296-6825.

what is the fouling of plugs indicative of?? oil leaking within the engine? only 11k miles but fouling...?? anyone with an idea?

I was thinking of picking it up but not if I'm going to have any problems with the car in the future. Especially now that I found out the the supercharger was put in with less than 400 miles on the motor. I'm a Jackson Racing Supercharger distributor and I know they don't recommend putting their supercharger on new car without the motor being properly broken in. I think they said at least 3-5K miles is a must.

well just do a leakdown test and compression test and that should give you an idea of how good of a shape the engine is in. fuel problem can be solve easily as long as you diagnosed it properly.

best bet for that car would be standalone fuel system. AEM EMS would be my guess. just find a tuner around your place.

"The signature that you have, is that a list of your current cars????"

Yep, just noticed that I had not added a truck that I picked up a few weeks ago. Don't list the wife's cars (we have very different taste in vehicles) or the Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton 4x4 I drive on bad weather days.

And if I made the money Jay Leno made the list would be much longer!

brain2by2 - No to borrowing the SRT-10 but come by and we can take it for a ride.

Back on the topic, a service rep at the Austin shop told me the problem with the fouled plugs was that the owner would start the car, move it a few feet, not allow it to warm up and presto - fouled plugs. Don't know if this correct, sounds at least possible.

The paper work shows supercharger, headers, clutch and some type of trans work done by comptech.

I want an NSX just don't need all the go fast stuff this one has on it. I was told that 54k was the price.

Can You Count ?

I can't imagine how big the garage is that would have to hold all those cars.

I count thirteen vehicles. My two-car garage is 20' x 20' so if one assumes a single parking place is a generous 10' x 20' plat, Steve's garage is 130' x 20'. Simple math, really. :p

Brian2by2 - The wife cars: '03 Chrysler PT Turbo, 03 Escalade ESV, 03 SL500 and her newest addition is an S600 Sedan.

92NSX/AndyVecsey - Close guess on the garage size, it is 40 x 110 with 6 ten foot doors and one 14 foot door on one side with a single 14 foot door on the other side. The house has a 3 car garage that the wife and daughters use.

Look here for a recent photo...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21740

And an update on NSX...Ian called to let me know that the injectors were changed at the time of the supercharger install.
The car is running 9lbs of boost. Is this a typical NSX boost rate?

Also had the intake, headers,exhaust and carbon fiber airbox added at the time of the super charger install.

Also some note about Comptech swapping out a new ring and pinion assembly.

How much did this guy spend on all this Comptech stuff?

Hey, I'm no expert on NSX but I checked the car out this weekend. Overall it look very nice. It has a little mark on the rightside back bumper, minor rock chips on the lower front bumper. When i checked the engine I saw oil on it. For a 98 with only 10k the engine should have been clean. The inside is in "A" condition, the driverside seat shows "very" minor wear.

Hope this helps.

Still pondering if I want to buy it. He booked a flight on Saturday and had been approved from my bank already. Ian calls me back and said that they couldn't take a cashier check. They could but they would have to wait 7-10 days before the cashier's check cleared. I told them that I talked to the bank and the cashier's check is as good as cash. I had already booked my flight thru a travel agent and was told that it was non-refundable and transferable. I was kinda pissed when I had to cancel. Still kinda ticked off from all that.

Ian told me that they are still waiting on the owner to decide if he is really willing to sell!?!? This may be why he did not want to take a cashiers check.

I think I would have had that cleared up before I advertised it on e-bay.

the drama continues...

hmm... the drama continues w/ this car- i recall last summer when it was on consignment at the down-the-road Acura dealership, there was an air of mystery w/ the real "decision makers" of the car. . .(as to when to sell, for how much to sell, etc) :rolleyes:

And an update on NSX...Ian called to let me know that the injectors were changed at the time of the supercharger install.
The car is running 9lbs of boost. Is this a typical NSX boost rate?

[/B]

Typical boost on the Comptech SC is 6 lbs, but the 9 lb is available

Back