'98 with 39k for 44k, should I be worried?

I weant to my test drive on Saturday. The car in question is a '98 Berlina Black NSX-T 6spd with 39,000miles. The dealer got the car from a Honda of America auction. The car appeared to be in perfect condition inside and out. Paint was perfect, all body panels were perfectly aligned with no sign of damage or repair. Interior was in excellent condition. Leather looked practically new. No visible damage to anything. OEM dash had been changed to carbon fiber, and the shift pattern plaque removed. I don't know about the clutch, I've never felt another NSX's. It felt soft for a short distance of travel, then got stiffer down to the floor. Releasing the clutch was very smooth, very controlable, with a stiff feel but not exactly springy. However...the car would not start. The battery was dead. I'm going back tomorrow to drive the car with a new battery. The dealer quoted me $43,800, which seemed very low to me, but the car has been sitting on his lot for about a month. Blue book for retail is 54,900. Should I be concerned? Obviously I want to see service records and the like. Can anyone recomend a good NSX mechanic that would be able to find any problems that I can't spot? I live in Westfield, NJ. Which is in Union County, fairly close to Newark.
Thanks for all your help. If this car turns out to be good, then I think I've just found myself the deal of a lifetime.

You might have found a deal, as I won't let a little bit worry here and there, beside the car being a totalled lost before, deter me from getting one at a good price.

I could have got a prestine 98 NSX-t for $49,000 with 36,000 miles. I think what you found sounds like a pretty great deal. I would have it checked out from top to bottom and make sure it has not been hit. Honestly, the price sounds a little too low.

Yeah. If I'm pleased with my test-drive tomorrow I think I'll buy a carfax account to check it out, and I need to find a good mechanic in my area. I think I'll ask in the North East forum about that.

Sounds like a good deal, just get a PPI at a different Acura dealer and it also wouldn't hurt to have an experienced NSX owner have a look at it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a dead battery, I would assume it's just been sitting a while.

You might have found a great deal. Check each of the exterior panels to see if they have the original VIN# tags still on them (ONLY original panels will have these) and that can tell you if the car has been in any major accidents that required panel replacement. Also, see if someone local who owns an NSX can go with you to check it out. Other than that, if it is a great deal, move on it!! :D

Back