98 NSX Advice jh4na2164wt000199

I am looking at a 98 NSX that needs some work. The dealer is offering 30,400 tax, title and lic. Good deal or not? Any thoughts out there.

Vin jh4na2164wt000199

Last edited:
Re: 98 NSX Advice

Left front bumper crack.
replace cam plugs
replace both front tires
truck struts replace
drive belts aftermarket
engine lid opener broken / replace
left front fender dent due to lambo doors
radio cracks loud then low sound
windows slow to raise and lower

miles - 86000

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Carfax? Clean title? Damage history? How's the interior? All those seem to be small repairs. In this market if you can get it into good/mint condition, it can maybe bring in the mid to high 30s maybe. Mileage is on the higher side. Some pictures would help more

19928327131.296828575.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

19928327132.296828575.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

19928327134.296828575.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Clean carfax. Clean title. Took it to Acura put it on the lift. Interior mid compartments need to be fixed cleaned up.

Lambo door?!!!! LoL I swear some of these people have more money than
Brain cells....go ahead and say what u wanna say but there is a fine line between flashy and trashy....if I were you I would thank the guy and walk away the minute he told me the car had Lambo doors on it..I maybe profiling but hey most the people with such taste take shitty care of their cars..for them it's all about the bling factor...my 2cents!!!

Zaid

I'd pass. Price isn't low enough for having been molested (lambo doors and body flaws). And while the stereo and window problems are common NSX issues, I'm surprised to see them on a '98.

Add to that TB/WP... theres a 90+% chance that they were never done.

Timing Belt and Water Pump. Major service. every 7 years on an NA2. It's expensive and as the NSX is aging, it is falling into the hands of folks more and more who wont/cant pay out the money for the larger maintenance.

Looking at that particular car, I'd be shocked if it ever had any major maintenance done.

TB/WP is an engine out service and runs anywhere from say $1500 up to over $2k. There is more info in the Wiki on the service schedule and the big ticket items.

Come on guys who's with me? Let's burn this nsx because its not up too par... this car will get a loving home one day. The only reason why the prices are going down on these cars is because of speculation. Simple question how are oil prices determined? The nsx community makes its own prices. You guys speculate on every nsx, "the owners manual is missing" minus 1thousand, "there is a rusty bolt" minus 2 thousand, "the fender was repainted" minus 5thousand. "Previous owner installed different side skirts" minus 10thousand. "the previous owner had the 18/19 set up and ruined the entire suspension and it needs to be changed" minus 20thousand.....You guys are the ones doing the speculating, and then you whine and moan about why the prices are dropping on the nsx

Come on guys who's with me? Let's burn this nsx because its not up too par... this car will get a loving home one day. The only reason why the prices are going down on these cars is because of speculation. Simple question how are oil prices determined? The nsx community makes its own prices. You guys speculate on every nsx, "the owners manual is missing" minus 1thousand, "there is a rusty bolt" minus 2 thousand, "the fender was repainted" minus 5thousand. "Previous owner installed different side skirts" minus 10thousand. "the previous owner had the 18/19 set up and ruined the entire suspension and it needs to be changed" minus 20thousand.....You guys are the ones doing the speculating, and then you whine and moan about why the prices are dropping on the nsx

I think you have it exactly backwards... We don't want people wasting their money on an overpriced car when there are better examples out there for the money...

I am not speculating on anything, I am pretty damn sure I don't like Lambo doors on anything but a Lambo. Definitiely not an NSX. Maybe the OP does and that works for him, but if he wants a clean NSX or one he can maybe get up to par, this isn't it.

lambo_doors_-_so_played_out_lambos_dont_even_have_them.jpg

If the op can get the car in the mid 20's 27max. I think about 5grand would put it back into great shape. I think some people like the projects, working/wrenching on the nsx can be more fun then driving it. I didn't meen to sound like I don't care for maintenance, it is very important. Im just saying if there's no maintenance or shady maintenace, but the car drives/sounds great, then the new owner can start his own maintenance record. And then it can be considered a maintained nsx... but for us to say "don't get it" and scare every potential person away, will bring the price of that nsx down alot, and that will drag the prices down of every nsx.

The tires, engine hatch struts, radio and windows are all easily fixed or common problems on the NSX. After market belts may also point to a TB/WP being done - although I would want to know who did the work and didnt use OEM.

The only problem I see that will be on the expensive side is the cam plugs ... then again ... I had a small leak for 3+ years. That was the last thing on my maint list simply because I was waiting for time to pass so I could do TB/WP along with it.

Lambo doors ... Dunno ... I personally wouldnt want to get in or out of the car in public unless I did it dukes of hazard style :biggrin:

I am not speculating on anything, I am pretty damn sure I don't like Lambo doors on anything but a Lambo. Definitiely not an NSX. Maybe the OP does and that works for him, but if he wants a clean NSX or one he can maybe get up to par, this isn't it.

lambo_doors_-_so_played_out_lambos_dont_even_have_them.jpg

I dont even like lambo doors on a Lambo...

Id call it educated speculation if anything :D

Old thread on same car:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22368

Already 3 owners as of 2003

An old dealer listing from a crappy dealer in PA (no crappy lambo doors yet):

http://www.carpictures.com/Acura/NSX-T-dark-silver-1998-03IHC342100938

As the years are rolling on, a lot of these cars are getting used and abused by people who can't afford them and do things like putting on lambo doors rather than maintaining them.

The OP deserves as much info as we can give him so he can make his own decision whether the car is a creampuff ready to roll and an *amazing* deal, or a car that needs a ton of work and will probably continue to run (and change hands) without getting any love and caring until it finally gets wiped out, then salvaged, then glued back together and title washed in FL ;)

Back