97 yellow for $38k 85k miles Good Deal?

Would you go with high milage car to get added upgrades of the 97+ cars?

I'm trying to budget $40k for a car.

Saw a Yellow 1997 with 85k miles for less then $40k.

Or is this too many miles?

NSXocto said:
Would you go with high milage car to get added upgrades of the 97+ cars?

I'm trying to budget $40k for a car.

Saw a Yellow 1997 with 85k miles for less then $40k.

Or is this too many miles?

Having owned a 95 and now owning a 99, I would say the changes made in 97 are significant. I would definitely opt for a 97 and later model if I could. Now, as to your question, it isn't the amount of miles I would worry about (unless I was concerned about resale), its the type of miles that were racked up. If you could speak with all owners and get a history and that history was good, I wouldn't be concerned. What worries me most in a used NSX is owner abuse or worse, accidents with quick and improper repairs. If you can document it's history and have a QUALIFIED technician look it over, go for it.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time then I would go for it.

If you plan on reselling the car within a year or two, I would pay more for a lower mileage car because IMO it is a tougher sale when the car has 100K+ miles and/or is close to 100K (i.e 80K)

Her is another very viable option for your 40k budget. Instead of
purchasing a high mileage 97-there are a couple of 97's
around on the forum with automatic trans--personally I
would think these would be a far better resale candidate
than a car approching the 100k mark after one year of use.

If the truth were to be told no one is driving these cars anywhere near the limit for more than a couple minute burst at a time. You
may even be able to find a 97 or 98 that still has some warranty
left-not common but possible for a certified resale.

NSX owners know that 85kmiles is nothing on an nsx. But I really think that for all other interested exotic buyers, the high mileage nsx is significantly devalued.

So like said earlier in this thread, if your gonna keep it go for it. If your not sure or know youre gonna sell it soon---I personally would look for older low mileage car. Both are great--just a matter of resale.

PFORPAUL said:
purchasing a high mileage 97-there are a couple of 97's
around on the forum with automatic trans--personally I
would think these would be a far better resale candidate
than a car approching the 100k mark after one year of use.
That is one person's opinion, and I'm sure it seems logocal to that person. On the other hand, I would never buy an automatic NSX, never. Then again, I wouldn't even consider an auto in a C5 or anything else that might be considered a sports car.

Last edited:
PFORPAUL said:
Her is another very viable option for your 40k budget. Instead of purchasing a high mileage 97-there are a couple of 97's around on the forum with automatic trans--personally I would think these would be a far better resale candidate than a car approching the 100k mark after one year of use.

If the truth were to be told no one is driving these cars anywhere near the limit for more than a couple minute burst at a time. You may even be able to find a 97 or 98 that still has some warranty left-not common but possible for a certified resale.

I have two thoughts about automatics.

First, I agree with KGP. If you want an automatic, fine - get an automatic. But if you really want a manual, don't get an automatic; you won't be happy with it, and will regret not waiting for a manual.

Second, if you do want to get an automatic, getting a '97 or later doesn't make that much difference, since the engine and transmission are the same as in the '95-96 automatic. The biggest, most important changes made in '97 - the extra 20 hp and the six-speed - applied only to the manual, not to the automatic. Yes, there are other changes made in '97 that apply to the automatic as well (slightly bigger brakes, slightly better rigidity) but they're not as dramatic as the changes made in the manual model.

Back