• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'97+ vs. Base model 996 911

So I've been in the market for a '97+ NSX and started to shop around and see what I can get for around the same price and surprisingly see the Porsche 911s (996 gen) for around the same price. I know I'm asking in an NSX board, but I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions here. They're close to power and weight. What's the performance potential for the 3.2l NSX engine?

The NSX is definetly more reliable. I owned an old school 911 and can attest to the good build of older 911's. I do know that some of the water cooled 911's are prone to RMS(rear main seal) and other leaks which can cost $15,000 for new motor to be replaced. You might wana check Porsche Club Usa for advice on these cars, they are 3-5k cheaper that 993 because of these issues with some of their cars.

Good luck in your decision

although the hps for both cars are pretty much the same, you have the advantage of a mid engine layout from the nsx. also, the reliabilty of the nsx is always a plus.

if you decide to go with the 996, you might want to check with the "rms" issue on the renntech or renlist boards. i had experienced with "rms" before and believe me it is not a very nice experience.

i current own a na1 (pre97) model so i can not talk much about the performance on the 97 plus, na2 models.

good luck with your search.

Paghmani said:
The NSX is definetly more reliable. I owned an old school 911 and can attest to the good build of older 911's. I do know that some of the water cooled 911's are prone to RMS(rear main seal) and other leaks which can cost $15,000 for new motor to be replaced. You might wana check Porsche Club Usa for advice on these cars, they are 3-5k cheaper that 993 because of these issues with some of their cars.

Good luck in your decision

Is this RMS problem fixed by the dealer for free? recall work?

Damage said:
Is this RMS problem fixed by the dealer for free? recall work?

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa.asp

Click on model and see techinical reviews. Hope this helps.

If the RMS is under warranty they will see if it fits under the RMS standard for replacement otherwise they will wait until the motor siezes. Anything that is not warrantied will not be replaced unless the dealer is polite and in good merit decides to replace it.

From owning these cars, my seat of the pants, non-expert experience is as follows:

99 996 3.4 - Great car, very reliable. Handling is engineered into the car. Amazing. You'll never know the engine sits on the rear axle. Feels about the same power as the 3.2 NSX.

05 997S - Amazing car. Also very reliable. Handling is mind boggling. It feels like there's one huge tire under you. You feel like you can just keep taking turns faster. You feel the grip better than the NSX. Handling is engineered in. Car communicates that its at its limits. Substantially more powerful than the 99. Feels smaller than the NSX, which is nice.

03 3.2 NSX - Amazing. Handling is organic. Unlike the Porsche, you don't feel that driver aids or suspension geometry are at work (Honda just got it right). Much more go kart like. Not sure if any other car has achieved this level of feel for its weight. Having said that, I don't think there's any way this car can hang with the Porsches, unless you're a more skilled driver, primarily due to the [edit] Porsche traction control.

Last edited:
I've got FOR SALE a pristine 1999 996 Artic Silver 35K miles w/ factory AERO package and every upgrade available for that year: sport seats, 3 spoke steering wheel, colormatched console, CF & brushed aluminum everywhere- sills, gauges, etc., full (black) leather w/ deviated red stitching everywhere- door panels, pillars, roof liner. All services complete, needs nothing.

That said, I'm on my 3rd NSX, PM me know if you're interested.

I just bought an 05 NSX 6 months ago and could have bought any p-car I wanted excepting the 400k+ GT. And the GT3 or Turbo was the car I was set on buying. The Acura and the Porsche are both great cars, but the NSX is rare and unique. It is all hand built and to me is much more distictive in style (Sexy). Either way, you will have a great car. So to me this is an individual drivers choice. Have fun either way you go......Steve

Just sold my 02 996 and bought a 91 NSX with 35K on the odo. Great car.
Alan

Back