97 rims or 02 rims ?

Which rim option do you prefer on my car?

• Total voters

MJK

Legendary Member
Just curious what most people think between the two options below for my car.

Option 1: Stock 97 rims (pictured)
IMG_0442.JPG

Option 2: White 02 rims (pictured, temporarily sans center cap logo)
IMG_0444.JPG

Thoughts? I can't seem to get used to the 02s for some reason.

All input is valued, but please focus your comments on the existing body lines if possible I have NO plans for any updated rear, front or sides.

no brainer for me

o2's look better
front 17 inch is better then front 16 inch
front 17 inch and rear 17 inch also allow better tire choice

really no upside to 97 wheels as much as i hate to say it becuase i used to love those wheels

Lower the car slightly using Eibach Springs and then it might make the look of the white 02's look better. Not as much wheel gap.

I'm thinking of using the white 02 or similar wheel on my black NSX.

Jetpilot

Car is already lowered by 1/2" from stock. It is on Zanardi/Koni Yellow.

I agree with you on the wheel gap , but since I like the suspension then I am not sure what to do about it other than go to a bigger wheel. Bigger wheel is generally heavier - and I am more about performance than looks.

A couple more pics if it helps anyone visualize.

A rear view of the 97s
IMG_00446.JPG

A rear view of the 02s
IMG_00448r2.jpg

'97 look much better...
Sell the '02 asap..................to ME:rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:

You need NSX-R Center Caps and you need to lower it.

No Brainer then!

Mark, the car looks sweet. You know my answer :biggrin: .

If you want to keep the '97 ones i will buy the 02's back
now that you had them powder coated :wink: .

No brainer dude, the car looks great with the 02's.

One looks modern and one looks 80's to my eye.

I think the white 02 rims look better than the 97 stock rims on your NSX. Another advantage is more choices on tires with the 02 rims.

If you go with the '02 rims, paint your side mirrors black to get a little closer to the NSX-R look.

With white 02 wheels, black mirrors will match the top.
with Silver 02 whees, leave the mirror body color.

97 wheels looks classic. 02 wheels looks better with body mod. bigger wheels needs more body cladding to balance out.

Mark,
Apples to oranges. I am sure your 16/17 wheels will look just fine if they are also white just like the 1994+ TypeR. The 02+ wheels look better here because of the color.
nsx6.jpg

Steve

Thanks for all the compliments and input guys.

Black "H" Logos are on the way
Black mirrors: I agree, but need to find some. My NSX is allergic to paint.
Lowering: It sure would look nice, but I REALLY like the way this suspension drives.

Comtec said:
Mark, the car looks sweet. You know my answer .
If you want to keep the '97 ones i will buy the 02's back
now that you had them powder coated .

No brainer dude, the car looks great with the 02's.

Mike,
Thanks for the rims. 2 trips to Memphis and 2 trips to Dyersburg later I almost have all the pieces together. As soon as I get the injectors back in the car, and get some logos on the center caps we are going to have to get a meet together!
Talk to you soon!
Mark

97 wheels looks classic. 02 wheels looks better with body mod. bigger wheels needs more body cladding to balance out.
Eiffel,
I kinda feel this way too. Nice to know I am not crazy - or at least that we both are.
Mark

Mark,
Apples to oranges. I am sure your 16/17 wheels will look just fine if they are also white just like the 1994+ TypeR. The 02+ wheels look better here because of the color.
Steve
I hear ya Steve.
I honestly thought I would instantly be in love with these 02 rims - and they are VERY nice. They look MUCH nicer than the 97s off the car, and even in photos of other people's cars that is what I prefer. That said, something about it just looks 'off' to me on my own car. Could be the body. The pre-02 styling looks leaner or something. I can't figure it out. Maybe it is 5 years of staring at the old ones?

Maybe white 94s are the way to go. Or TE37s. I have always loved those too..

Last edited:

97 wheels painted white looks aggressive yet factory, reminds me of techart Porsche flavor. Very well done :)

I am probably going to go this route on my red/black 91.

definitely the 02 wheels. Might want to get the white front side markers too and I agree with painting the mirrors.

Looks good!

Thanks for all the compliments and input guys.

Black "H" Logos are on the way
Black mirrors: I agree, but need to find some. My NSX is allergic to paint.
Lowering: It sure would look nice, but I REALLY like the way this suspension drives.

I hear ya Steve.
I honestly thought I would instantly be in love with these 02 rims - and they are VERY nice. They look MUCH nicer than the 97s off the car, and even in photos of other people's cars that is what I prefer. That said, something about it just looks 'off' to me on my own car. Could be the body. The pre-02 styling looks leaner or something. I can't figure it out. Maybe it is 5 years of staring at the old ones?

Maybe white 94s are the way to go. Or TE37s. I have always loved those too..
Hey Mike,
If I were you, I would keep the mirrors and rear spoilers the way they are now just like the original TypeR.
There is nothing wrong with the way it looks and I certainly do not think the black mirrors and CF spoiler belong to your car. To add these to a first generation TypeR would transform a very clean looking TypeR to a 02+ R wannabe. Many people like the black mirrors and CF spoilers because those are what the new R has as OEM but I don't think there are necessarily better looking. IMO, if you start out with an original headlighted car, you should keep the color scheme consistent with the old Type R. By all means, if your car is an 02+, then the black mirrors and CF spoiler would be very nice. I just don't think the extra effort and money to put those new Type R's mirrors and spoiler would look better than your current set up. As far as the 02+ wheels, I again don't think they look any better than the 94+ wheels. I would much prefer the rear to be 18" to conserve that staggered look. That set of 02+ white on your car look out of balance. The front has the illusion of looking bigger than the rear. I think you have started with a very done car. All you need to make it to look mighty nice is a set of white 16/17 with spacers front and back or a set of painted white GC07s.
Steve

Attachments

• nsxr1994.jpg
    nsxr1994.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 166
After reading this thread I am very close to powder coating my 97' wheels white and skipping the "new" wheel buying.

1) Is there a good shop to powder coast my wheels in San Diego/OC?

And

2) where can I get a set of the white/red "H" center caps?

Thanks for the great posts!

Agree - 97 powder coated are better. IMHO the 16 fronts I think are a little bit lighter and provide the car with a better stance position as the car sits lower in the front. Plus tires are cheaper (and lighter) yet should be just as grippy as 17's, or very close to it depending on tire.

I really like the white wheels better. I know what you mean when you say that you like the way your car rides. I still have stock suspension also and have been contemplating Bilsteins, but have not committed.

1) Is there a good shop to powder coast my wheels in San Diego/OC?

RW Little on Coast Hwy used to do powder coating. Its been years since I had anything coated there though.

Mike,
Thanks for the rims. 2 trips to Memphis and 2 trips to Dyersburg later I almost have all the pieces together. As soon as I get the injectors back in the car, and get some logos on the center caps we are going to have to get a meet together!
Talk to you soon!
Mark

You are welcome my friend.

Meet?
I'm ready

You need to take a drive down to Atlanta with the rest of us next Thursday for NOPI. Not sure if you can still get the car in but we are going to have a great time. I have a extra ticket :wink: .

Back