'97 NSX or '99 Carrera?

Thinking of "updating" my '91 NSX and getting a newer one- perhaps a '97 which has the six-speed... or maybe (God forbid!) a '99 911 Carrera. I want to keep the cost under $45k for either. Porsche downsides include no targa and probably higher maintenance costs. Does anyone know how the water-cooled Carrera fares on maintenance/durability? Any other insights appreciated as well.

Go with a 1997 NSX.

Weren't the 99 Porsche the worse year to get? (the first watercooled engine?) Or were these only concerning the Turbo version... damn, forgot the model designation...996? I don't know my Porsche models at all...

If I was you, if you are considering the Porsche, I would go with a 98 air cooled one. I know the performance of the 99 is slightly better, but they ruined the design IMO. The 98 looks much better.

All that said, I would get the NSX. :D

Thanks- that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Looks like it's best to avoid the '99 Carreras and go with the '00. I'll have to drive both NSX and Carrera to see how they feel-- (never driven a six-speed NSX w/ 290hp). Also, the Carrera DOES look like the ubiquitous Boxster to most observers...

DCNSX said:
Also, the Carrera DOES look like the ubiquitous Boxster to most observers...

Another reason to go with the '98 air cooled one. If you look at the classifieds, you will notice that the 993 (95-98) 911's are holding their value much better than the 996's are. And now there are rumors that the next generation 911 will go back to the old bug-eye headlight look. In the long run, the 996 will have the distinction of being the only 911 to look like a boxster.

993 C4S :) Would be my vote over both...
But a low milage 97 NSX wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Good luck with the choice

Back