97 NSX for $64K? Too much? History of JH4NA2167VT000146?

anyone know of the history of this car?

JH4NA2167VT000146

it is a 97 white with tan interior with 9000 miles. How much do you guys think it is worth.

Thanks

Tetsuo

I don't know anything about this particular car.

However, I think $64K is too much to pay for a '97 NSX-T, even with only 9K miles. Right now, with Acura's incentives, you can get a brand new '01 NSX-T for around $70-71K. That's not enough of a difference to account for the fact that the car is four years older and the fact that the car is used. (These are offset by not having to pay luxury tax, but as of next week the luxury tax falls below $1000 (3 percent of the amount over $40,000).)

I think a fair price for a six-speed '97 NSX-T in excellent condition with a clean title should be roughly $53-58K, depending on mileage and condition.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I don't know anything about this particular car.

However, I think $64K is too much to pay for a '97 NSX-T, even with only 9K miles. Right now, with Acura's incentives, you can get a brand new '01 NSX-T for around $70-71K.

I checked with Neilo Acura and found 1 NSX that they would sell me that fit my needs, and would include the incentive. It came out to 82,000 out the door.(based on my local tax rate of 7.25%)

Not to many left if you are searching for a particular color, or dealers that will pass the incentive on to the consumer(unlike a rebate) I did and found very few in my color choice.(Yellow)

That's not enough of a difference to account for the fact that the car is four years older and the fact that the car is used. (These are offset by not having to pay luxury tax, but as of next week the luxury tax falls below $1000 (3 percent of the amount over $40,000).)

Luxury tax is going down from 4% to 3%. My calculatations are (72k x 4%=2880) to 3%.(70k x 3%=2160). How is that below 1000?

I think a fair price for a six-speed '97 NSX-T in excellent condition with a clean title should be roughly $53-58K, depending on mileage and condition.

Prices haven't been falling that much. And if THonda bought this car for 64,000(at my tax rate), he would have to pay about 69,000 out the door after tax and license.

97 for 69k total price
01 for 82k total price
That is what should be compared.

Prices haven't been falling that much.

Actually, prices on the '97's have fallen that much. A price of $64K would have been typical a couple of years ago, when the '97's were only two years old. Not now; a '97 car is now four years old, almost five. You might be able to get $64K for a used '01, and possibly if you're lucky for an '00, but not for a '97.

Talk with folks who have been trying to sell their '97's lately and see if they're getting any takers at $64K. I think you may be in for a surprise. They may still be asking $64K in their listings, but that doesn't mean they're selling at that price.

Regarding why prices have fallen this much, I think it's a combination of the fact that a '97 is older now, a poor economy, a bad time of year for selling, the introduction of a new model with refreshed styling, and the incentives Acura has offered to clear out the '01's. Which of these factors is most responsible is a matter of conjecture.

That is what should be compared.

No. When comparing prices, it's customary to compare prices BEFORE tax, license, etc. You can buy a new '01 NSX-T for around $70-71K. Add in luxury tax and sales tax (which depends on where you live), you can get it for a total expenditure in most states of around $76-77K, but most folks would still use the price before tax as a basis of comparison.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 December 2001).]

Check out this car on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599443328&r=0&t=0

Copied from the text in his add:
WE WANT TO SELL THIS CAR - WE ARE ASKING $63,995 on our website which we feel is a good deal. Our reserve is a LOT less money than that so if you're serious bid!

They go on to say they will sell the car to the highest bidder even if the reserve isn't met. I would think you could buy this car for around 55K. I am not sure if this is the same one you are talking about or not, but it sure sounds similiar.

Good Luck!

P.S. Luxury tax is based on the amount over a certain number, I believe it is 44,000. So on a new purchase you only have to pay 3% of the value above that number.

i bought my nsx from todd at naples motorsports, his cars are flawless! i saw that car in person when i went to get mine and its very nice, just my 2 cents

Luxury tax is based on the amount over a certain number, I believe it is 44,000. So on a new purchase you only have to pay 3% of the value above that number.

The percentage and threshold have been declining. In 2001, it was 4 percent of the amount over $38,000. In 2002, it will be 3 percent of the amount over $40,000. The tax expires at the end of 2002.

As an indication of current selling prices, do a search on 1997 NSX's for sale on http://autotrader.com in all zip codes. There are 17 of them for sale. Ignore the three up for sale on eBay (they're listed with the latest bid price, regardless of whether the reserve is met) and the one listed with no price.

These are the prices that dealers are asking on eight cars:

$55,900
$56,900
$56,990
$56,995
$57,995
$57,995
$58,900
$61,900

These are the prices that private parties are asking on five cars:

$49,500
$58,000
$59,900
$60,000
$62,800

And remember, these are asking prices, not final selling prices, which will surely be less.

I've seen a few 97's selling in the $48-49k range with 30-50k miles. I find it odd that anyone would pay $38k for a 91 ? $10k more gets you- Targa, HP, and 6-speed

I also think its odd when I see a 99 or 00 advertised at $76k still

If the trend stays constant, next year's selling prices might be pretty standard at
91-92 32k
93-94 38k
95-96 44k
97-98 49k
99-00 60k
01 new is currently selling 71k ? that will take a drop, just driving it off the lot
of what 10% ??? making those worth 65k

I don't think 2002 will change sales much. Seems like a trick to get some Magazine Buzz and keep the name of the NSX on the front burner for the next year or so until the 2004 hopefully bumps sales back up to more then 1000 units a year.

One more reason for these price drops...

(and this comes from a guy that HATES corvettes, always have...and loves the NSX!)

Even I can't defend the NSX any more aginst the 2002 Corvette's 405 HP at $49,505 List
Compaired to $49k on a 5 year old 97 NSX at 290 HP

Makes sence that 97's won't be selling for over 50k too much longer.

Now I haven't driven a 2002 vett yet... looks are always getting better... but I bet it still feels like your driving a brick compaired to a NSX.

With 50,000 cars a year being pumped out by Chevrolet... its not going to be a lot of fun pulling up to a stop-light with these monsters all over the road. And on the Track test only the 360 Ferrari beat the Corvette.

But since I am a mid-engine fan, I will give up 115 HP and take the 97 NSX but I won't pay $50k for it. There is a new bench-mark out there and it will effect NSX prices.

New Vettes don't feel like you're driving a brick. They feel very fast and the handling is very good as well.

The C5 weighs about the same as the NSX and considering it has a steel chassis and a big V8, that's pretty impressive.

The Vette is not above criticism...The interior is not up to the quality level it could have...and it certainly doesn't have the quality and fit/finish of any Honda.

There's a number of things I'd like to see Honda adopt or emulate from the C5.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Jimbo,

When I wrote this I knew you'd have something to say. (you're are Corvette Guy on this site)
smile.gif

You don't understand. I have gone from a Corvette hater.. to a guy with $50k in his back pocket actually willing to give the Corvette a chance. I think Chevy has done an outstanding job to get this hardcore NSX fan to even write those words.

I am very impressed by Chevrolet. I just never liked the way American Cars seem to take away all the road feel and be more of a drag-racer mentality. It is the American culture at the Big 3 that never changes.
This Vette is up there with the Ferrari 360 in track preformance so I'm going to test drive it. Maybe its more then just a carry-over of another 60's Muscle Car which seems to be the only thing American car companies can produce.

That's why I was a Ferrair boy until NSX showed us that an Exotic road race car could be built that didn't need expensive service every 15k miles.

I'll take feel & looks over speed for my taste. But NSX needs a HP boost 290HP is a 90's preformance goal.

Back