97' Kaiser for 40K?

I found a 97' Kaiser for 40K the car has 56K miles on it. The interior is Onyx and a 9/10. The exterior is a 8.5/10 for some scuffing on the rims, about 12 small chips on the bumper that you can't see unless your 1' away. The 60K service has not been done. The car is bone stock and everything works.

Good deal? I think it is, but I wanted a second opinion. :biggrin:

Larry Bastanza said:
Yup. And above average mileage and deferred maintenance put this car into the C category, and maybe even D.

When you say that the "60K maintenance has not been done", what do you mean? Are you referring to the timing belt and water pump, which are recommended for 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first, so they should have been done by now? Are you referring to the fluids and filters and valves that are part of the maintenance that are recommended for every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first? For example, the brake fluid should be changed at least once every two years, so it should be ready for its fourth brake fluid change; are you saying that the brake fluid has been changed never or only once? :eek:

Seem like a pretty good deal if the clutch is still good. I'm sure maintance would cost 4Kif your talking about water pump, clutch, timing belt, valve adjustment, plug wires and brake fluid?

gtr said:
I'm sure maintance would cost 4Kif your talking about water pump, clutch, timing belt, valve adjustment, plug wires and brake fluid?
Well, that's not exactly scheduled maintenance - for example, the clutch is replaced when it wears out, not on a schedule, and the plug wires aren't part of the scheduled maintenance. Typical prices are $1200-1500 for the timing belt and water pump, $1000 or so for a 30K/60K/etc maintenance including valve adjustment, filters, and fluids, and around $3500 (I think) for replacing the clutch on the six-speed.

The other concern is not just how much it would cost to bring the car's maintenance up to date, but also whether any damage had been done if the car was being operated without the maintenance having been done on schedule.

Back