95 - A few issues. Any help?

Hello people - I went to look at a 95 today (NSX looks way better in person - sick!)

There are a few issues that are most likely common with these cars, but I have been driving a Supra for so long I'm new to the Acura game.

Issue #1 - A/C fan only works at one speed. Then when driving there is a crazy electric arching sound that resembles a tazer going off. It's a very loud intermittent "Zap Zap" sound.

Issue #2 - The plastic that covers the gauge cluster has vertical 4 inch crack in it. A roll back worries me.

Issue #3 - Apparently the car fowls O2 censors. The owner had a box of new censors in the trunk and says he replaces them when they go bad. Weird?

Issue #4 - Targa leaks pretty good...But most targas do I'm sure.

There are a few other things, but nothing too crazy for a 14 year old car. Any in site would be greatly appreciated . Thanks ahead of time guys :)

##I HAVE THE VIN - A CAR FAX WOULD BE AWESOME!##

The climate control can be fixed by member Briank. The loud zap is likely one of your speaker amps starting to die. Briank can fix those too.

I would be worried about a roll back as well. Spend some money on the carfax report and have a dealer do a Pre-purchase inspection(PPI) otherwise you may get screwed. The car shouldn't be fouling O2 sensors unless it is running way rich or is burning oil like a 2-stroke.

If the seals are in good shape it shouldn't leak much if at all. If the seals are torn/falling apart plan on spending some money there too. They aren't cheap.

My 96 roof does not leak.Any nsx that needs a trunk full of o2 sensors has an owner who does not want to fix the cause.

Thank you for the thorough reply - The radio was off when the loud zapping was occurring - The owner said it was an easy fix and that it was a "Blower fan relay". Made it seem like it was an easy fix and that the sound was the faulty relay arching. BUT IT IS CRAZY LOUD - Sound is coming from the passenger side dash. But i did some research - I read the used buyer guide in HONDA TUNING MAGAZINE.

It stated;

"2) Climate Control
Turn it on. Make sure the A/C blows cold and that the heater blows hot. Be sure that the fan blows at each variable speed and that the digital display works. It's common for older NSX climate control systems to only blow on its high-speed setting, which isn't cheap to fix. Problems range from the climate control circuit board itself (the capacitors can leak and damage the traces) to worn-out blower motors."

BrianK is expert, very reasonably priced, and super fast turn for climate control work. (He did mine and many others) That should not be of any major concern to you. The dealer "repairs" these by replacing them for megbucks. Brian fixes 'em!
The other issues are worth much more of your attention and concern.
Happy hunting.

Welcome :smile:

The CCU is no big deal as other members have mentioned that BrianK offers the repair for $180 instead of a whopping $1200 for the dealer to replace the unit.

The instrument cluster is easily replaced. I have seen several here on the Prime marketplace. Seems like some track junkies are installing the stack system. A CarFax is the best way to determine whether there was a odometer rollback.

The o2 sensor issue is troubling. If you really like the car I would take the car to a reputable NSX tech and have it checked out. I have never heard of a car constantly fouling 02 sensors. Perhaps it burns oil and that is fouling the o2s. A compression check with leakdown test is the best way to find out if that is the case.

The leaking targa is also a concern. I don't think targas on the NSX are notorious for leaking. Most cars from 1995 up are targas and I hardly ever read about one that leaks.

Good Luck on your search.

I've owned my '96 for 9 1/2 years now. It has 55k mi, has been garaged all of its life, and has none of the issues you mention.

The only time I ever had a leak with the roof is putting it back too quickly and catching the rear end of the side rubber seal out of place. Simply unlatching the roof, lifting it about an inch, then "dropping" it into place and relatching it took care of that.

I hit the 8k red line at least once or twice every time I drive the car (assuming it had time to fully warm up), and have never fouled a sensor. I have lost the heaters on two sensors, and they were replaced under the 14 year extended warranty (which most likely has now lasped on the '95).

I agree with Big_D - have someone do a leakdown test. Also, make sure the MIL (aka CEL) light comes on before you start the car. Someone could have removed the bulb rather than fix a problem, as docjohn noted.

What weight oil is the owner using? If its 40 or 50 weight (e.g., 15W-50), something is wrong. The NSX is a tight clearance engine and anything over 30 weight can actually starve bearings, etc, resulting in faster wear. Now if the engine has been built for racing and clearances increased, that's a different story. But, I sure would want lots of details in that case.

Back