94 NSX, mint, 5 spd, black, 25,000 mi: $30,000 ok?

I am a supra guy and am not very familiar with the NSX. But I am considering this car as a possible investment.

I know a fellow who would sell his 1994, black, 5-spd NSX. The vehicle is absolutley original except for painted brake calipers. (he did not like the rust color). It has always been stored, covered indoors. Initial, quick visual inspection indicates the car is in excellent to flawless condition. I noted no deficiencies but did not inspect in detail. It has approximately 25,000 miles. No wrecks or repairs have ever been done.

In todays market, what is the realistic value of this vehicle? What is the depreciation / appreciation outlook if this car is stored properly and driven minimally (<5,000 mi/yr)?

Thanks kindly in advance for sharing your thoughts with me.

Bernie

Originally posted by Bernie:
I am considering this car as a possible investment.

Don't get a car - any car - as an investment. Get it if you would enjoy owning and driving it.

In todays market, what is the realistic value of this vehicle?

That's a very attractive price if the car is as perfect as you describe it. It probably has not had the timing belt and water pump replaced, so you would want to consider doing that when you get it (~$1200). Make sure the A/C works. And all the usual inspection stuff. Check out the "pricing" and "used checklist" sections of the FAQ under the "Buy, Sell" heading.

What is the depreciation / appreciation outlook if this car is stored properly and driven minimally (<5,000 mi/yr)?

How long will the war in Iraq take? How high will the Dow be two years from now? Will we still be in economic recession? Predicting the future is strictly a guessing game.

Here's a conservative, worst-case way of looking at it. Let's say the car is worth $5K less two years from now than the price you pay today. Would you get enough enjoyment from owning and driving it in the next two years that it would still be worthwhile? If so, buy it; if not, don't.

I certainly would enjoy driving the car for a while. I change cars every couple of years anyway. So I look for something nice that won't lose value significantly. Due to it's light weight and aluminum construction, the NSX is probably not a good car to hammer it out in area urban interstates. Also, Florida is flat and the roads are straight. Not the NSX's best environment. If I lived in the mountains, then it may be the perfect car.

But I am sure i would love driving it for a while.

That's a good deal NSX, please private me if your don't want it. I can always put a second NSX in my stable. Thanks.

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP -> VROOM VROOM
'93 300SE MBZ

First, my apologies to all who responded.

When I posted before, I did not have my facts straight. The car is a 91 with 21,600 miles. Before, I thought the seller said it was a 94. I knew the miles were in the lower 20's so I said it had 25,000. Again, my apologies for posting incorrect info.

I will repost with accurate information. I welcome any advice you will share with me.

Thanks, Bernie

Back