93 NSX with 26 k been sitting for TWO YEARS

N

NSXor993

This NSX appears cosmetically perfect but hasn't been driven (?why) for about two years. Last service was oil change in 2001. Owner bought Rolls Royce.

What problems can one expect from a car not being driven for so long? I understand that, for example, various seals will dry out then leak. Thanks for your imput!

------------------
Future NSX Driver

I bought a 93 nsx for two years now and only drove about 500 miles. The car is still in good condition but the battory was replaced. I think you can ask to take the car for dealer inspection. The oil still needs to be change even the car was not drive for two years.

Is there not a problem with various seals drying out if the car isn't started/driven? I know that when I didn't drive my Porsche during the Winter, I tried monthly to start it and let it run at least 10 minutes or until the temp was normal - per a mechanics suggestion.

------------------
Future NSX Driver

Things that might be wrong:

- Gas still good?

- I would check for any AC leaks as I have heard the AC needs to be excercized or it can develop seal leaks

- ABS solenoids "sticking". Not such a big deal and can be worked out by engaging ABS a couple of times

- Battery?

- Flat spotting on the tires?

- Any bugs or rodents get into the vehicle?

- Oil seals (it is not like a Porsche where there are miles of lines and fittings to worry about - but still worth checking before and after a test drive)

That's about all I can come up with - good luck!

Good list, Nick.

Also, I would recommend:

a) changing all fluids at the first opportunity - oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant.

b) changing all belts and hoses, including the timing belt and water pump and all the cooling system hoses. This is a good idea for an early NSX anyway, all the more so for one that's been sitting around.

c) checking out all the usual pitfalls for any early NSX - namely, making sure all of the A/C functions work properly and blow cold air from both sides, and checking the window regulators and, if necessary, updating them with the fix-it thingies.

Back