• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92NA1, audio problem... need help

andy l.

My '92NA1 had been stored away for 14 monthes.
Today I charged and re-installed the battery, then started the car... everything seemed fine; engine cranked and fired immediately at the first try.

Now the strange thing happened is when I turned on the audio system (pushed the ON button) an extremely loud 'beep'-like tone comes from seemingly all speakers. Its a continous, very loud and very annoying tone, a bit similar to what you hear when an 'acoustic shortcircuit' happens but with frequency and volume absolutely steady.

I turned the audio on and off several time, but there was no change. Everytime when I turn it on the tone is there.
I kept it on for about 30 sec to see whether the tone would go away... well, it doesnt.

All indications on the audio system display are normal, the tuner seems to work, i can change the bands, can change to CD player, etc...

And yes, the audio system did work well and without any problems until I stored the car away last year in June.
And that thing never happened before as long as I own this car.

Did anyone of you had a similar problem like that ?
What could be the cause of this strange tone ?
Those with respective knowledge, can you point me towards anything I could check or try do do ?

Many thanks for your kind help in advance !!

andy

Edit:

Forgot to mention this...
The tone is there with the same volume (very loud !) regardless of volume dial position; i.e. with the volume turned down to zero it's still there and unchanged.

Last edited:
sounds like your amplifiers in the speaker enclosures have died. It is a very common thing to happen. You can either have them rebuilt or just replace them with aftermarket. If you choose to go the aftermarket route, you will need to get an external amplifier to power them then.

Yes, common problem, and not necessarily related to storage.

Contact username BrianK. He rewires the amplifier circuit boards (replacing the components that go bad over time) and it's a lot cheaper than replacing them.

Many thanks for your input; you are great :smile:

Meanwhile I also read in the FAQ about that problem (wailing noise from one or more speakers), mabe I should have read there first before asking here... :redface: sorry for my ignorance...

Also, I did a search and found this thread to be helpful for my case since the exact same problem seemed to be happened to Bob_54 with the only difference that my 'ear piercing siren sound' will stay on all the time while in his case it went away after 5~7 sec.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52318&highlight=door+speakers

I will look into this problem during next weekend and try to locate the faulty amp(s).

to BrianK:

Brian, I am living in Germany. In case one or several of my amplifiers are gone and I wanted to send it (them) to you for repair, would you accept having my amplifier(s) shipped over to you and shipping them back to me (which, of course i pay for) ?
Could you guess shipping costs roughly ?
And which method of payment is preferred/practicable by/for you ?
Many thanks for your time reading this.
And sorry, if my questions are a bit naive, but I really don't have much experience in 'trans-atlantic' ordering, shipment of parts, etc.

andy

andy I,
I had a lot of audio problems 1 - 3 months ago. Is started out as an ear piercing siren sound coming from all speakers. I had all three amps rebuilt by BrianK thinking it was a typical amp problem. After the amp were rebuilds I had a booming sound coming from all three speakers. I then replaced the power relay to the amps. That did not work either. I then had static and popping coming from all three speakers even when the volume was turned all the way down. I finally replaced the head unit with a used one I located here on Prime and I am happy to say everything is now working great. I don't think my problems were with the head unit alone because I did have many classic amp failure symptoms. I think I had 1 - 2 amps failures and a failure in the head unit. The power relay to the amps turned out to be ok. BrianK was very helpful in diagnosing the potential problems and I thank him the helping me getting my stereo back in working order.

andy l. said:
to BrianK:

Brian, I am living in Germany. In case one or several of my amplifiers are gone and I wanted to send it (them) to you for repair, would you accept having my amplifier(s) shipped over to you and shipping them back to me (which, of course i pay for) ?
Could you guess shipping costs roughly ?
And which method of payment is preferred/practicable by/for you ?
Many thanks for your time reading this.
And sorry, if my questions are a bit naive, but I really don't have much experience in 'trans-atlantic' ordering, shipment of parts, etc.

andy

Andy

Shipping overseas has been a learning experience for me also.

Return shipping for just the amps would be about $30 US for Post and UPS would be about $75 US The best payment method would be Paypal.

Brian

Andy, do yourself a favour & have all three done if you plan to do any - the shipping will be ~ the same as the amps are quite small (provided you remove them from the speaker assemblies!).
Even if not all are currently exhibiting issues, they will surely follow shortly after.
I would make this recommendation even if you just lived down the street from Briank, let alone across the world where it makes even more sense rather than be faced with reshipping again before very long.

http://www.carstereohelp.org/stereoremoval/AcuraNSXFSpk.htm
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAcuraNSXSubR.htm

Here are some instruction guides on how to remove the speaker assemblies - afterwards it is pretty intuitive on how to open them up & remove the amps inside. Note that those guys who created the instructions provide repair also - however I'm sure you will be more than satsified with Brian's work & the advantage that he will address the shipping for you personally. He's cheaper too!

Re: 92NA1, audio problem... siren sound is gone, but there is still something wrong

Many many thanks again for all your helpful replies !!!

Meanwhile the loud siren-like sound has gone suddenly... yesterday I went on a 450 km (280 miles) drive to a Honda workshop to get a replacement part for my broken left door handle and 100k km (appr. 62kmiles) maintenance done. After abt. 1 hour driving I thought i would try to turn on he audio again.. just to see if its still the same.. well, it kept silent this time after i turned it on.. so I cranked up the volume a little.. left door speaker was working and playing music, other speakers were silent. I just kept it on to listen to some radio and traffic news... and abt 15 min later the other speakers also came on 'alive' again.. now all speakers are working again.

However, there is definitely something wrong with one or more of the amps.
I noticed that volume of left door speaker is less than the right one with balance knob in middle position. And with the volume turned down to zero I still hear some 'crackling' and 'humming' noise from this speaker although its very little only. The other speakers seem ok by now.
So, I guess there is a problem with the left door speaker amp.
I may be wrong but I could imagine this being related to capacitors failing over time.

I will remove the left door speaker this weekend and have a look at the amp,
then decide what to do next. I am not too unfamiliar working with PCB's, doing measuring and soldering, so i might give it a try myself first. I also have built amps myself utilizing self-made PCB's when i was a kid.

Thanks to all of you for all your kind help again !!

to Brian:

Shipping seems easy and costs are ok for me.
I will PM you in case I'd intend to send my speakers to you.
My major problem is very very limited time since i work abroad and have to leave here again in about 10 days.

andy

Back