92K miles for $27,900 - Worth it?

Registered Member
Hi all,

I am interested in this NSX thats for sale 20 miles away from me and wondering if anyone can give me some input if this car is worth buying.. It is a 1992 with 90k miles on it for $27,900. Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

Ok, we are going to need more info before anyone can give a thumbs up. Is all the maintance up to date, has the oil been changed every 3k are the tires good, brakes, paint, seats? Have you seen the car in person. For example I bought a 92 with 52k miles for 27k dollars. The condition of the car was really good, but I had to invest over 3grand to get the car up to date, 60,90k mile tune up timming belt stuff like that, it also needed new tires and a good detail. I am very happy with the car, but today I found out I need to replace the inner cv joint yuk. My car also came with new style wheels, RM header, intake exhaust, swaybars, antiroll bar, slotted rotors, racing pads, and 4point harness. To me the mods were a great bonus cause I was planning on doing these anyway, so in a sence I saved almost 6gs plus labor for installs. Anyway you need to find out more about this car before IMO anyone can tell you if its a good deal or not.

CPMORAN, tell me more of the inner CV replacement. What is the dealer asking? What are the symptoms and how did you find out? Just curious.

Hi CP, I am going to look at the car later on today when I am off work. And I dont really know anything about the car yet, but my main concern is how is the NSX run and what type of problems will I probabbly get at that high of a mileage? Is there anything specific that brakes down at 90K+? Any input will be much appreciated! Thanks

Originally posted by jlindy:
CPMORAN, tell me more of the inner CV replacement. What is the dealer asking? What are the symptoms and how did you find out? Just curious.

Well I am not 100% sure that this is the problem but the only way to find out is for my tech to take it apart and I didnt have the time for it today. Here is a link to the page that I posted the problem on http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/001007.html
not sure what the dealer wants for it but it retails for 400 says John Vasos. The rest should be expained on the other thread

Chris

[This message has been edited by cpmoran (edited 07 January 2003).]

Ok, I just checked out the car earlier today, and it seems to be running fine but it has some minor touch up paint on the door. Does anyone know the previous owner for this one? Its the one that was traded in over at RSJ Motors in Richmond, CA with 92K miles. Is the previous owner a member here? I'm hoping he is but any information will help! Thanks in advance.

Did you like it? When I first saw mine I didnt even know my own name, So IMO if the car doesnt make you feel wozy inside wait for one that does. Good luck I know I sound crazy but I just love clean NSXs

I went to go check out the same car after work today. Just took a quick peek at it. First thing I noticed was the front bumper was definitely repainted and whoever did it did a pretty shotty job. Lots of bumps in the paint. The front lip was in pretty bad condition as well. It had a few tears and quite a few gouges. I guess some of the scratches you would expect from occasional driveway or curb scrapes but the deep gouges I'm not so sure of. The rear bumper on the passenger side seemed to be out of alignment a bit. There are a few touchups done on the passenger side front fender. Looks like they just took some touch up paint and a small brush to it. The rest of the body seemed to look pretty good and straight but you can never tell if it's been in an accident or if there is frame damage unless you further investigate the history of the car or take it in for a frame alignment inspection. The interior has its share of wear on the leather but I would expect that from an 11 year old car. If you were to pick up this car, I would definitely take it to the local Acura dealer for a used car inspection just to make sure as you should with any car you plan on paying that much for. Here is the VIN just in case anybody here wanted to run a carfax on it (the salesman offered one already when I started writing down the number):

JH4NA1155NT000180

Besides the front bumper, my first impressions is that it is a pretty nice 92. But I didn't take it for a test drive nor look at it in more detail. Take an NSX Prime check off list next time you go down there to check it out and ask to take it to a local Acura dealer for inspection if you are serious about it. Nice looking X but really not my kind of beans. I'm after the perfect 95/96 NSX-T. HTHs and good luck.

201, From what I have heard about this car if I were you I would wait dont let "gota have it now" cloud your long term enjoyment of one of the finest autos ever produced. This one seems nicer than the one you are looking at. Although it is not 20miles from you. http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000492.html I know its far but you could have it shiped or take the drive of a lifetime and still have a lot less miles than 92k with sweet wheels nos and other stuff. I drove 18 hours in my new 92 and it was great. This is all my 2 cents you need to do whats best for you.

Thanks guys for all your help! I guess it would be a bad idea for me to get that one. I guess you can say I was in the "gotta have it" mood, but hearing about your concerns make me think clearly about it now. Thanks all!

Originally posted by 201:
Thanks guys for all your help! I guess it would be a bad idea for me to get that one.

Why did you come up with this conclusion so fast? You haven't done ANYTHING in terms of getting objective information from an NSX master technician.

You even said it "seems" to run fine. And according to 93B18's opinion, he even says that: "Besides the front bumper, my first impressions is that it is a pretty nice 92."

Sure you may have the "gotta have it now" urge, but don't dismiss this NSX so quickly without having it at least checked out by a mechanic.

I have to say I agree with Joel. I have not seen anything yet that says it is an absolute no-go. If you are interested in a "perfect" NSX the $27K price range is a little low IMO.

I little repaint work, done by a good shop could make this a nice example. I just think you need to do a little more homework on this one. If it is 20 miles away, it might be worth a little more time to make a valid assessment.

HTH,
LarryB

Where is this car located? Maybe a few of us can check out the car over the weekend.

------------------
Jay
'91 Red/Ivory (Sold)
'96 Red/Black

The Acura data base says JH4NA1155NT000180 was originally sold 05/12/1993 at Acura of Denville, New Jersey.Their telephone number is (973)361-2626. I'd check there first and see if they've any service records. Car has no open recalls.
Susan

Hi guys, Thanks for all your help and suggestions. The mileage on it keeps bothering me because I dont really know how long this car can last and I am planning to keep this one for a while. But if Option2 and a few others that has free time that can check it out for me that would be really great. The car is located in RSJ Motors 12786 San Pablo Ave. Richmond, CA 94805. Thanks all!

Originally posted by 201:
The mileage on it keeps bothering me because I dont really know how long this car can last and I am planning to keep this one for a while.

It's a HONDA. Trust me, it will last a LOOONG time. A couple of owners in here are pushing their NSX's over 200,000 miles already if I'm not mistaken.

Back