92 Red /ivory --clutch?

OK guys, the rookie needs a little help here. Drove my FIRST NSX today. A '92, red/ivory, looks pristine except for right speaker, and 90k miles. Talked to the 60 year-old owner. He had it 11 years, and loved it. It needs the 90k service. Anyhow, it is at a dealer, and they'll take 23k. Been there a month.

When I drove it, the clutch didn't disengage until right at the very release of the pedal, then the car jumped to speed. Felt a bit 'heavy' compared to my MR-2 turbo (at least until I hit 70!). I'm used to MR-2s where the engage is about half-way down. Is this typical of the NSX? Does it sound like it needs a new clutch? The shifting was a bit notchy too, but maybe that also is typical.

Any guess as to what it will cost me to get everything tight at 90k miles if just the basics are all it needs? Or should I pass on this?

Thanks so much,
Jerry

Last edited:
Check the FAQ's before BUYING!

Was the 4yr/60k service done? That's about $650-850. Some owners do the t/b, w/p as well at this interval IF the age exceeds the mileage/usage.

The 6yr/90k service involves t/b, w/p, and other items... some of it overlaps w/ the 4yr/60k. It generally runs $1250-$1450.

Often, some other consumable parts such as: master/slave cylinders, rotors/pads, lines, gaskets, seals, sensors, etc' need replacing... so don't forget to consider those costs. To be safe, I'd conservatively estimate $2,500 if there is deferred maint/service to be done. Of-course it can be less, but be prepared for 'hidden' costs on a 15yr old car!

For a NA1 (3.0) 5spd. clutch job, anticipate about $1500-$2000. It's highly unlikely that the NSX is on it's original clutch, being at 90k miles.

Also check the transmission number of the NSX you're considering; some '91-'92's produced had a "snap-ring" TSB, meaning your transmission can fail due to a fault w/ Acura's upper trannie casing (ring may break off, etc'). This can be prevented by replacing the transmission casing/housing, ideally done same time as clutch service to cut down the labor costs. Use the "search" and learn more about "snap-ring range".

I recommend an Acura PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) by a NSX certified tech' who will check the car fully & give you a better idea.

The price seems very reasonable. Make him an offer!

Goodluck.

I recently purchased a '96 with what I described here as a "mushy" clutch at 80,000 miles. More than the feel, though, the clutch engaged at the very top of the travel and seemed to slip and then grab, especially when starting up a hill. From what you've described, the car needs a new clutch. It's generally a 10 hour labor job and the parts (from Acura/Honda) are the parts were quoted at $1600 from an independent and a dealership. The car may also need a new slave/master cylinder.

The clutch on the NSX is much lighter than on the '01 911 and is a little heaver than on my '96 Z3. I've never driven an MR-2 so I can't compare.

Back