92 Formula Red

My NSX story starts in 2021, a friend told me about an online auction for a manual 92 Formula Red NSX with about 42k km / 26k miles.
Did a relatively low bid, with little expectation actually, but to my surprise I was the winner!
I didn't even go and look at the car beforehand, although the NSX was only a couple of miles away from me ...

Paid, picked up the car, and left it in the garage for 6 months without doing anything with it.
The car could definitely use some TLC, and the paintwork could also be better, despite the fact that parts had been resprayed just before the sale.

I did check the invoices and history of the car; delivered in France (yellow headlights!), 1 owner in France, then bought by a wealthy Belgian, who hadn't done anything with it for at least 5 years. The NSX did have about ten years of maintenance backlog. Furthermore, the driver's seat looked pretty crappy, radio only made some crackling noises, ... there was a list of things that had to be addressed.

That summer I left the car at the local Honda Dealer for a few months; major maintenance, air conditioning fixed, vvis check, water pump, timing belt, fluids, ... their opinion was that the car was mechanically quite good, also in terms of power.
Once back home I started to dismantle the interior, on the one hand to clean everything, gave the seats a leather repair and treatment, and also the radio and amplifiers had to come out to have them repaired.
In the end only the amplifiers were broken, due to leaking capacitors and/or broken chips on the printed circuit board. But after some magic from an electronics guy in the Netherlands that worked out!
Also the clock and the central locking had simply given up, probably due to the same problem as the radio.

So about a year after purchasing the car I finally got it registered!

Of course I started doing some mods:
intake scoop
Enkei RPF1
RFY headers, silencers pipes, GT Exhaust V4

While having some things done at AS Motorsport, something didn't seem ok with the gearbox, and after some further investigating it was the snapring issue.
So new casing and a lot of parts later it got fixed, and of course this was the opportunity to install the close ratio gears.

This and last year I have mainly been enjoying the car, without fiddling too much with it.

Next winter however I'm planning on getting the suspension refreshed.
I'm in the process of figuring out what suspension to get; at the moment I'm leaning towards Intrax, a company in NL that does custom suspensions.
Also a lot of parts are on their way from Japan; chassis braces/sway bars/tie rods/toe links/drop links.
The ABS is also in need of repair, it has been broken since I got the car btw. I'm going for the S2000 ABS conversion.

And I found the topic on weight reduction recently, so now I'm figuring out what makes sense to remove from the car.
I'm guessing to get to about 1300kg / 2850lbs without spending too much money on that.

And the last few weeks I'm driving around on OZ Alleggerita in 17/17 (a set of wheels I had lying around from my sold S2000).
And I'm positively impressed what -2kg / -4.4lbs per rear wheel does for car handling!

Attachments

• dsc3213-1_orig.jpg
    dsc3213-1_orig.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240130_164152724_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    PXL_20240130_164152724_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 16
  • 74812f88-52c5-4470-9c5f-4451fa251820.jpg
    74812f88-52c5-4470-9c5f-4451fa251820.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
To have a newly purchased car sit in the garage and not touched for 6 months is wild! But it sounds like you're doing things the right way! That I/H/E set up and picture you posted is beautiful! I'm also worried about my snap ring failing on me one of these days... congratulations though!

Back