91 nsx vs elise sc

Thinking about selling my 91 nsx for elise sc. Whos has owned both that can chime in?

Which gets more attention?
Which has lower maintenance?
Which has a higher cost of maintenance? I mean as far as buying parts, which is higher?
Which is better for a daily driver?
Which has higher insurance?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thinking about selling my 91 nsx for elise sc. Whos has owned both that can chime in?

Which gets more attention?
Which has lower maintenance?
Which is better for a daily driver?

Thanks

I was very close to buying Elise as second car and did not own it. Though I will always keep my nsx. My research said...NSX is all of the above and Elise is none of the above(may be attention).

If I recollect first oil change was $300. Just normal oil change for Elise. That being said...I like Elise a lot!

Last edited:
I drove an Exige S as a demo for a few weeks, not a great time. I have a 1 hour commute in traffic on work mornings, not fun at all. Plus the pedals are so close together, I would have to drive with no shoes on. The A/C wasnt nearly strong enough, car felt like a toy on the NJ Turnpike. I wouldnt consider myself fat or thin but average and getting in/out was a chore in it's on right. Rearward visability was impossible, like not happening.

The car was pretty quick, turned heads if thats what your looking for, was kinda fun and handled very well.

Overall if i was a midget and lived in Alaska, we might have something! :biggrin:

The interior egronomics don't impress me and I've only sat in one. Seems like a short term fun car but as a daily commuter it's gonna depend how much you can tolerate. I definately don't see it as comfy as your NSX. That said, it is a cool as hell car though.

if your dd is a motorcycle this will be a more comfortable form of transport..if your sig other is kinda stand-offish..not too touchy feely..the elise will put an end to any personal space they may cling to.....you get the picture.

I've had both. Although my Elise was not supercharged it here are the pros:

The car has a 1.8l toyota powerplant. I was able to get all the tune up parts, all the service parts from Autozone such as K&N air filter, plugs, oil, antifreeze, and I often bled the brakes and changed the tranny fluids as I tracked the car often. The parts were fairly inexpensive and the car is fairly easy to maintain as well.

My car was saffron yellow so the attention was so overwhelming that I chose to drive the car at night if I wasn't tracking it. If I took it somewhere, there were several occasions where people would always take cell phone clips. I once walked out of a restaurant and caught a hot lady posing in front of the car taking a picture of herself. The attention just got down right annoying especially if you're kind of car shy as I would describe myself.

Tracking the car was a great experience. Best feedback out of any car. Has AP racing brakes out of the factory and weighs in at 1900 lbs. Hell it comes out of the factory with soft yokohama tires. It is one of those cars that is still new in a way, and in stock form you can rail it hard on the track, brake super late, and I never had overheating issues. The car always ran great, never lean, etc etc. Now you will pass cars in the turns and twisties, but the car on straightaways will lose steam and I believe the standard elise has a top speed of 145 m.p.h. The motor has a "second cam" which is like Vtech that kicked in a little passed 6k rpm's.

The cons about the elise for me is getting out of the car. The car is incredibly, incredibly small compared to other cars. I had a rare gull wing style aftermarket roof that allowed me to enter and exit the car easily. But still you need to be a gymnast who is double jointed, to get in and out of the car. The insurance is average for a sports car. But the Elise is easily salvageable since the front clam and rear clam are one piece, and most of the car is glued together. Seriously. If you get in an incident where you slightly bump or back into an object then the insurance company will most likely total the car. Which is a good thing for myself, because I would like to find another salvaged elise and turn it into a track car. Aftermarket carbon fiber front and rear clams are around $1800ish.

Still after I sold my elise my buddies always asked which car I liked better. And I always answered the NSX simply because if you're a car guy, you know after short seat time in an NSX that it was put together by hand, from some disciplined Japanese dudes. Which just gives the car so much soul.

Racecar for the street. PITA and MUCH harder to get in and out of than most race cars. Trying to get out of the car when parked next to someone else is darn near impossible.

As far as uniqueness, hard to beat, very 'raw' and connected car to drive. If you change the oil yourself, the operational costs won't be much at all. The Elise is a Toyota, the NSX is a Honda. Both powerplants can be pretty reliable with regular oil changes and good gas.

It really depends on what YOU will get out of them. Go sit in one and better yet, go drive one. Make your decision and enjoy.

Have you sat in an elise? I thought it was a grate idea to until I sat in one. Im to fat for the elise. lol

Back